Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from norfolk on the coast  (Read 6379 times)

wendy

• Joined Oct 2011
Hello from norfolk on the coast
« on: October 26, 2011, 07:52:29 am »
 :wave: Hello everyone
I live on the north norfolk coast and have a 2 acre plot. I used to have horses and rode with my daughter
we also broke and drove ponies that she had grown out of so we could still keep and use them.
Now my daughter has left home over 6 years ago the equine have gone and the land fell quiet :-[
So in came the pigs and chickens :farmer: andI had a big learning curve ::) The pigs were raised for meat and that was a succsess although I did start to get attached to them and when the day came for them to go I found it very hard to take them....but I found a very small abbitour and got them in nice and early and they showed no sign of stress as I said goodbye.   I have to say I have not had any pigs since though. The chickens on the other hand have taken over. I have Ixworths welsummers silver duckwing sussex (new to me this year)
and I am trying to get some silver sussex but not found a breeder yet. Anyone on here have them? Also a large flock of bantams that go broody at the drop of a hat and so let me breed without use of electricity :thumbsup:
I see a lot of you are up in scotland I have a dream to move up there what's it really like in those colder winters?
Bye for now

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Hello from norfolk on the coast
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 08:37:55 am »
Hi and welcome from North Yorkshire.  :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 08:52:09 am »
Hi and welcome from Carnoustie, on Scotland's east coast  :wave:

It's probably similar here to where you are - more influenced by proximity to the sea than latitude. It's lovely here - we just moved up from the Central belt last year.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 09:03:53 am »
Hiya,
Do you have a breeding flock of Ixworths? I'm in Cambs and have been looking for some for a while!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 09:38:37 am »
Welcome from north Cumbria   :wave: 

I moved here from Exmoor 5 years ago.  I thought, being from Exmoor, I knew about cold and I knew about wet.  I knew diddly squat.

I'm still here, and I love it.  ;D

I really really really really really miss having a summer though.  :(

But I am learning to cope with the winters.  Long johns, hot water bottles, snowfire ointment, welly slippers, always always prewarm your clothes, burn as much wood and coal as you need; you reallly do need it - I am learning to do cold.

Getting wet through twice - or more - a day... is harder.  And apart from old-fashioned oilskins like they wear on trawlers, nothing but nothing is actually waterproof - at least, when you are shepherding on a quad bike it ain't!

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 09:49:20 am »
Sally's on the west in Cumbria - east of Scotland isn't as wet  ;D

wendy

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 11:54:03 am »
 :wave:
Thanks for the hello,s
So its the east side of scotland then.
Poor Sally it  sounds awful but the west side is very pretty (if you can see it through the rain ;D)
I do breed Ixworths but I only have my breeding stock left for next year I like to get numbers down for the winter and all the cock birds that are not good enough to breed with go in the pot. :yum: they are good layers and good table birds.
I have also got 1 bresse the table bird of France and she is an excellent layer I am trying to get her a mate but this year I crossed her with my best Ixworth and the chicks are monseters and growing fast so looking forward to seeing how they finish up. I will have more Ixworths next year so keep in touch :thumbsup:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 12:35:46 pm »
Hello and welcome  :wave:

I started life on a farm in Norfolk and now live on a smallholding in Scotland, so I suppose I have done what you want to do.  We were about 20 miles inland in Norfolk and back then we did have some very hard winters.  My brother still lives there and it seems that Norfolk winters are now mostly fairly mild and dry, with the occasional surprise, and the summers very dry.  We never noticed much wind, although it is reputed to be windy - ok the odd tree came down but nothing out of the ordinary.  In Scotland we are much higher, at 1000', and about in the middle of the southern part of the country.  Here it is definitely windy, fairly wet but not as bad as Sally finds it.  There is something about annual rainfall decreasing by an inch for 30 miles as you head east (not sure of the precise figures).  What we do get is lots of snow - deep snow which lies for ages with temps very far below freezing.  Also recently our summers have been very wet and cool, with only the occasional lovely day.
Last and first frosts occur much closer together, so the growing season is shorter, but the days of summer are noticeably longer up here, and even more so the further north you go, so plants can do more growing in their shorter season.
All of these things can be dealt with - grow under protection, lay in stores for winter, own a 4wd vehicle, keep hardy animal breeds and try not to get depressed when the sun doesn't shine  :D
I love the challenge of adapting to living here (I have been here for over 40 years  ::)) and it is all worth it because this is a great country to live in.  The people are friendly, the countryside is beautiful and the accents are music to the ear  8) ;D ;D :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 06:34:57 pm »
 :wave:  Hi and welcome from sunny Shropshire.  I lived for 11 years on the west of Scotland and yes, it;s wet and yes, it's windy (never seen horizontal rain anywhere else) but it's milder than east Scotland so take your pick.   :goat:

wendy

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 10:46:59 pm »
Hello and welcome  :wave:

I started life on a farm in Norfolk and now live on a smallholding in Scotland, so I suppose I have done what you want to do.  We were about 20 miles inland in Norfolk and back then we did have some very hard winters.  My brother still lives there and it seems that Norfolk winters are now mostly fairly mild and dry, with the occasional surprise, and the summers very dry.  We never noticed much wind, although it is reputed to be windy - ok the odd tree came down but nothing out of the ordinary.  In Scotland we are much higher, at 1000', and about in the middle of the southern part of the country.  Here it is definitely windy, fairly wet but not as bad as Sally finds it.  There is something about annual rainfall decreasing by an inch for 30 miles as you head east (not sure of the precise figures).  What we do get is lots of snow - deep snow which lies for ages with temps very far below freezing.  Also recently our summers have been very wet and cool, with only the occasional lovely day.
Last and first frosts occur much closer together, so the growing season is shorter, but the days of summer are noticeably longer up here, and even more so the further north you go, so plants can do more growing in their shorter season.
All of these things can be dealt with - grow under protection, lay in stores for winter, own a 4wd vehicle, keep hardy animal breeds and try not to get depressed when the sun doesn't shine  :D
I love the challenge of adapting to living here (I have been here for over 40 years  ::)) and it is all worth it because this is a great country to live in.  The people are friendly, the countryside is beautiful and the accents are music to the ear  8) ;D ;D :thumbsup:
Thank you for this honest and complete answer
Its just as i thought  x

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 10:35:08 am »
Hello and welcome from the central belt of Scotland- right slap bang in the middle between Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Fleecewife has been totally honest, and I agree with much of what she says. the East coast if definitely drier- its even noticable here as I work in Edinburgh. It can be a lovely day in Edinburgh, drive home into the rain, and discover its been grey and wet all day at home! The last two winters have been bad, with prolonged spells of severe cold. The cold is probably worse than the snow when you have livestock, because its the constant battle of trying to keep water thawed. I swear summers have been worse over the past 5 years than they used to be, and August is rapidly becoming a "monsoon" month. But the longer days are bliss- I love the light in summer.

It is less busy up here, but the central belt is still quite hectic, as so many people want to live within commuting distance of Edinburgh and Glasgow. I'd love to live further north or south, (and smallholding prices there are cheaper too) but I have to live within reach of work, which just now is Edinburgh.

Beth

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 06:52:44 pm »
hello and welcome :wave:
Little Blue

wendy

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 10:07:52 pm »
 :wave: Ok thank you for all the replies and for the information on the areas of scotland :thumbsup: It really has helped in my next big step as to where I want to live
 ....I love wales as well so anyone from wales who could give an honest answer  to the area
of llandovey? llanddeilo to live in would be most welcome... i know it rains a lot there too... but milder winters....?

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 12:30:14 am »
Hello From the Derbyshire hills.  We are hoping to move soon, and I think it would have to be somewhere with hills - big ones, as thats what we have here!!  I feel strange if I am looking at the view with no hills.  Can stand the cold and massive snow drifts - we are a few miles from Buxton, which has the dubious honour of always being cut off in winter.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 06:33:08 pm »
we are a few miles from Buxton, which has the dubious honour of always being cut off in winter.
.... and once having a county cricket match snowed off!!
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS