Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New Member  (Read 3335 times)

readaboutchxnpigs

« on: November 29, 2011, 01:06:16 pm »
Moved into a Northumberland end terrace in Jun 11 with a decent garden and 1 acre plot.  Sharing most of our opportunities with the neighbours and friends.  Currently have pigs  :pig:, turkeys, ducks  :&> and chickens  :chook: a beautiful wife :love: and 3 fab children   :wave: :wave: :wave:.  Will stick as we are over the winter (hopefully) and maybe get sheep  :sheep: in the new year.

lill

• Joined May 2011
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 01:55:17 pm »
H i and welcome to the forum  :wave: :wave: look forward to your postings.

Pheasant pharmer

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Ebberston, North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 03:00:51 pm »
Welcome from North Yorkshire.  :wave: :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 04:44:44 pm »
Hello and welcome from a wet and windy Carnoustie  :wave:

Where about in Northumberland are you? I used to live in Seahouses. Love Northumberland.

readaboutchxnpigs

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 07:09:45 pm »
Alnwick Moor, we sure do appreciate the extremes of weather in these parts!  It is beautiful

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 07:20:39 pm »
welcome are you anywhere near john manners combines         loved the arch you have to drive through in the village :farmer:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 11:44:56 pm »
 :wave: Hi and welcome from finally dry and calm Shropshire.

mally.one

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 05:04:40 pm »
hi i'm a new member in spain .trying to be self sufficent with bees ,chickens turkeys geese and goats on 8 acres , in need of good advice-willing to barter in animals

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 07:08:57 pm »
Hello readaboutchxnpigs and mally.one, good to see you both here.  :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 11:45:23 pm »
Hi there  :wave: readaboutchxnpigs from just over the border in north Cumbria (but you are right across the other side of Northumberland from me)
We're commercial but low-density low-input beef and sheep farmers with collie dogs, a hound pup, a Jersey house cow, pigs, ponies, chickens and a plan for fantail pigeons, rare breed sheep (for fleece and our own meat) and more Muscovy ducks.  Maybe geese. 

Hi mally.one too  :wave:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

readaboutchxnpigs

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 01:12:59 pm »
Thank you for the welcome and input everyone.

Sallyinthe north or anyone for that matter, we mave muscovy ducks (2) but no eggs, do they produce or are they just pretty?  We have recently introduce a muscovy drake, some interesting dancing going on!!!  We also have 2 indian runner ducklings not sure which sex yet. But after my first taste of pork lastnight i've popped a button on my traousers this morning - oops!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 02:13:17 pm »
 :wave:   We used to keep Lavender Muscovies and they certainly lay eggs but not very many (compared with hens) and those are laid seasonally.  We (the ducks in fact) regularly raised clutches, most of which were drakes, which are very good eating.  Back then we could sell a trio of Muscovies for more than a sheep  ::)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 08:09:48 am »
All my Muscovy girls have laid, but as Fleecewife says, not as prolifically as hens and very seasonally.  They also go off lay if anything upsets them - and pretty much any kind of change upsets them... But Oh! the eggs!  Just to die for.  And the meat is brilliant too.

I've always had a drake when the girls have been laying - but I haven't enough experience to tell you whether they will lay without a drake about.

They need a good hiding place to lay, they are very security-minded.  Mine had an old dog kennel with lots of straw in, at the very back and not facing the doorway inside a dark small store; they'd make a nest way way back inside the kennel, and buried deeply in the straw, not visible; you had to crawl into the kennel and feel about to find them.

I did wonder whether maybe your girls have laid but have hidden the eggs so well you've not come across them!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 08:33:44 am »
Our geese - eight of them - hide their eggs - hence finding dozens the other day.  Odd time of the year to lay but weather has been strange this year.  Chicken, turkeys, geese etc. will certainly lay eggs whether or not a cock bird is around.  Jan

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS