Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fly strike  (Read 8252 times)

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
Re: Fly strike
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 07:56:22 pm »
triple dose  ' spot on '        forget anything else once struck        and anti bi's afterwards    tho i would totally echo Woollyval    prevention is infinitely better than cure :thumbsup:

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 10:56:32 pm »
I've always used Vetrazine.

Keeps for a while too. Once you get to know your ground you will know how bad it is for flies. I have a fair bit of grazing by some lakes so I tend to treat every 10wks in the season, even on Wiltshires. I've barely ever seen flystrike, but I don't know if thats to do with my prevention routine or the fact that Wilts dont get struck very easily.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 08:37:35 am »
We use Vetrazine too; but this year we've even had strike in treated lambs! yes they may be a few weeks into their treatment but it's a pain when they get strike and they've still got the colour from the treatment on their backs!!
We try to be vigilant, but this year we keep getting caught out. You get all your worming and drenching done and fly spray at the same time and wham something else bites you on the bum :o
but that's farming for you, never a dull moment ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS