Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Injured Ewe  (Read 3924 times)

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
Injured Ewe
« on: October 23, 2011, 08:27:13 am »
Two days ago, I went to feed/check our small flock and found one of the ewes had tried to jump the fence.  She had caught her foot between the top rail and the wire.  It was horrible, I thought she was dead.  She could have been there all night.  I felt dreadful.  I managed to extract her foot (though I don't know how as I couldn't bend the wire when I tried to show someone later).  Her poor face was swollen on one side and her eye nearly shut.  She eventually got up, but was not putting any weight on the hoof.  We gave her an antibiotic shot and a pain killer, and then penned her in the race with food and water.  Yesterday, we gave her another pain killer.  Her face was a lot better and she did stand on the foot for a while, but when my OH joined me in the pen, she got spooked and as she hobbled away, the hoof was folding under.  We're going to give her another shot today and just see how she goes.  Would hate to lose her as she's such a sweetie. 

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Injured Ewe
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 08:28:54 am »
I'm sorry to hear that.   I really hope she recovers quickly.  :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 09:05:44 am »
Shame - hope she recovers. Give her some oatcakes - won't help the foot but will give her something to live for  ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 09:45:07 am »
It sounds as if it will heal up given time, rest and patience.  We had a similar thing years ago with a Shetland tup who got his back foot caught in the top wire.  We thought for a while he would never recover, but after a while it was impossible to see which leg had been injured  :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 09:54:47 am »
It sounds as if it will heal up given time, rest and patience.  We had a similar thing years ago with a Shetland tup who got his back foot caught in the top wire.  We thought for a while he would never recover, but after a while it was impossible to see which leg had been injured  :)

We had the same thing, twice, this year.  One a lamb and one a shearling ewe.  In both cases we had to cut the wire to get the foot free.  Both made full recoveries in time, even though the lamb's foot was cold when we rescued her and the foot curled under for many weeks.  If it weren't for the fact that she has a patch of black wool on her back we wouldn't be able to pick her out of the flock now.

As to why, in the space of a few weeks, two different sheep managed to tangle their feet in regular stock fencing, in different fields in different areas of the farm... it's still a mystery.  One of the fences was rather loose, the other was a good tight fairly new fence.  It was months ago now and my paranoid daily checking of every metre of every fence on the farm is finally settling down...

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

HamishMcMurray

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 11:01:30 am »
I hope she gets well soon. From the other posts it sounds like she will. Good luck.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 11:24:06 am »
I have a wether who did a similar thing. He has walked (and run) around with the hoof under ever since. BUT...in the last week or so I am having trouble picking him out (it used to be really obvious) and noone is lagging behind the rest now as he did.....so am hoping when we gather them next weekend I am going to see it is finally getting better!

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 06:35:38 pm »
Thanks for all the good wishes, I'll pass them on to her!  It's good to know of others that have recovered from similar injuries.  I'm feeling a little more positive now.  Will let you know how she gets on.

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 08:18:36 pm »
Sounds like she has some nerve damage or bruising. I'd keep giving the painkillers and then just time. I recently had a similar problem with a goat and she's now fine.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 08:44:09 pm »
I often find that sheep recover really well from injuries - quite horrid ones sometimes, but then keel over at the slightest whiff of something else.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 01:10:07 am »
I often find that sheep recover really well from injuries - quite horrid ones sometimes, but then keel over at the slightest whiff of something else.

So, so true.  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS