Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help - Looking for Small Breed Girl  (Read 9187 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Help - Looking for Small Breed Girl
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 08:13:32 pm »
Good luck - I really hope it all works out well for all concerned  :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 10:43:13 pm »
Keeping my fingers crossed for you, Molly and Rory that your new girl settles down as she gets used to you. 

I got a rescue collie x gsd from the RSPCA once; got him home and he ran right around the bungalow (all around the outside) then did it again ... and again ... and again ... I think he might still be doing it but then one of the cats appeared so he diverted to chase it under the car...  It wasn't looking good, frankly.  Then we couldn't leave him on his own (he had another dog and two cats for company) as he had seperation anxiety...  A few months on and he was the loveliest, lovingest, happiest, most laid back dog you could ever wish to meet, an absolute pleasure to own.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Eeyore

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 01:08:18 pm »
Thank you very much for your support and kind messages.

Well we went to a lovely dog groomer this morning.  To cut a long story short she got a wee bit stressed and therefore we are going back tomorrow to hopefully finish the trim.  The dog groomer thought she was a lovely dog and like myself feels she is very young.  She just needs to build on her confidence.

She is off to the vet tomorrow afternoon to get checked over so hopefully everything will be fine.

Alice x

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 03:38:04 pm »
We rescued a corgi x.   he was so screwed up bless him, turned out to be a hermaphrodite had boy and girl bits! so the vet made him into a girl cause his boy bits didn't work properly. He had been badly treated and shut up a lot in a shed, terrified if you picked up a stick or newspaper. It took alot of patience but he turned out to be such a rewarding dog in so many ways.
Please don't let her go back to her former owner, i'm sure she will settle down or you may be able to find her a loving home.

Eeyore

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 08:24:14 pm »
Hi feldar, I hate to hear of stories where dogs have been mistreated and abused.  This wee girl has certainly been whacked across the head - even the dog groomer felt this. 

She is never going back to where we got her.  This is day 4 and she has such a lovly character and seems to be soo happy.  She seems to see me as her guardian already.  She needs alot of guidance and I am not sure I am knowledgeable enough to train her correctly.  All I know is positive re-inforcement, e.g. rewarding positive and correct behaviour. 

I am very focused on our wee boy and how he is feeling.  At the moment he is keeping out of Molly's way - he is used to a very quiet life and takes things at a very slow pace - the opposite to Molly.  I am just a bit worried about Rory's feelings and he gets poorly through stress. 

Anyway one day at a time.

Alice x

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 09:31:53 am »
That's good, it looks like she has a wonderful new home with you.
Why do people have these animals if all they want to do is mistreat them? i will never fathom it. I don't understand some people and i never will !!

Eeyore

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 06:09:01 pm »
I totally agree feldar,  I don't understand either.  I have my faults too - in the other way.  I find myself loving them too much and treating them like babies.  My westie girl was a breeders bitch and was kept in a shed all her breeding life.  Saddly we only had the privilige of her for 3 years when she got cancer and we had to get her pts.  But the whole time she lived with us she slept on the sofa and because our house is drafty I would put a blanket over her, gave her a pillow for her head and I know she appreciated it - her eyes told me.  I bought her a fleecy jumper to wear in the winter and would give her a hot water bottle at night when it was very cold. 

I can't help but love every animal - I believe they are as equal as humans and deserve to be treated as we would like to be treated.

Didn't get Molly to the vets today as scheduled but she is back at the groomers to get her trim finished (hopefully).  Hope to get her to the vets before the end of the week.  Will let you know how we get on.

Alice

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2011, 11:13:12 pm »
We have 3 rescues from a local centre 'Many Tears' I know they are in West Wales, but they have fosterers in Scotland, so worth checking the web site. You can visit the dog in the foster home and see if they suit your wee lad.
They deal a lot with ex puppy farm animals, and these do so deserve a safe loving home.

Check out the web site.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS