Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Incubating Duck Eggs  (Read 80727 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Incubating Duck Eggs
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2009, 08:59:20 pm »
Re Wild Ducks, we had three Mallards in teh garden - two males and a female. She hatched about seven but didn't manage to raise any. Every day, there was one fewer. Maybe she was a particularly poor mother, though.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2009, 09:05:43 pm »
Nope, don't think she was really - Mother Nature has total control over all things. No-one can predict what will happen next.  Ducks aren't great mothers unless they can seriously hive themselves away from all else.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2009, 10:38:33 pm »
Access to water outside can be a bit dodgy if they get cold, chilled, or even if the pond/container is too hard for them to get out of. We one year had 2 baby ducklings we had to hand rear in June (can't remember why now). We ended up having to take them to the Royal Highland show with us, and letting them have swims in a bucket of water!

If I'm showing ducks I usually bathe them in the bath as well.
Beth

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2009, 10:21:45 am »
Todays installment for anyone interested, all 12 doing really well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ayXrf0sHHo

sandy

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2009, 10:56:34 am »
I only have plastic  :&> :&>[move] :&>[/move] in my bath. :D

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2009, 07:52:28 pm »
Sandy - just ordered Aylesbury eggs off E bay so your eggs should be in the incubator next week. I will let you know  :&>

James

sandy

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2009, 08:16:03 pm »
Thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much. I am realy looking forward to having them, so is Steve. My grandchildren have chosen some names, I suspect from "HIgh Scholll Musical" they shall certainly be well looked after, now I have no babies, I love my pets..Thank you :D

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2009, 09:08:57 am »
I was hoping to let them outside in their pen for 10 minutes today but that wind is so icy cold, they would freeze.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2009, 11:54:11 am »
Had them out side for the very first time this morning as it was a nice morning. After a few minutes they loved exploring and the fresh air. Will try and introduce them to a bit longer each day. They are growing so fast.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2009, 12:00:43 pm »
can't wait to see them (shortly after 5 today)!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2009, 11:03:12 am »
As it is such a beautiful day I thought I would put the ducklings out in their small run for a while. I have now had them out for almost 4 hours as it is beautiful and warm out there. I have been constantly checking on them and they have enough food and water, besides they are having a great time ruffling through the grass. Anyway, a short time ago I heard a commotion and went to investigate. The geese had decided to come back off the river and thought it would be good fun to terrorise the small, innocent and defenseless ducklings.

They are such bullies, the ducklings were absolutely terrified and were all huddled in together in a corner of their run. Now unless the geese broke into their run(which I doubt they could do) the wee ones were perfectly safe but with the hissing and threatening behaviour from 2 geese it was no wonder they were terrified. I chased the buggers away but they were having too much fun and kept coming back. In the end I moved the run in beside the adult ducks where the geese cannot get into and so all ends well.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2009, 04:46:03 pm »
Well all ducklings (now 3 weeks old) left me today to go off to their new home. It was very sad as this is the first time I have parted with anything I have bred myself but it was all made easier by the fact that they were going to a lovely family. I look forward to seeing their progress over the coming years. Another 2 weeks before the 11 in the incubator are due to hatch and then the fun starts all over again.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2009, 04:59:59 pm »
just lovely :)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2009, 08:28:23 pm »
Sandy, the eggs are due to hatch on Wednesday!

James

sandy

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2009, 09:02:19 pm »
Maybe I need to start smoking!!! I'll just bite my nails instead!!!!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS