Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Incubating Duck Eggs  (Read 82940 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Incubating Duck Eggs
« on: February 25, 2009, 04:23:57 pm »
Today I set 12 duck eggs in my incubator. 6 are Indian Runners and 6 are a mixture of Aylesbury and Cayaga. As I have enough ducks I am raisong these for someone else, but it is an exciting time watching them develop.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Incubating Duck Eggs
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 10:32:47 pm »
Good luck with this. What's the incubation period for ducks?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 11:09:30 pm »
28 days - a week longer than chooks
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 07:51:28 am »
This will be my 4th time at incubating eggs. The first twice they hatched on the 28th day but last time, for some unknown reason, one hatched on day 25 and the last one came on day 29! All 8 survived and are now running about with my other ducks. The ones in the incubator just now I am raising for someone else as I really have enough but enjoy the whole exoerience.

James

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 04:35:36 pm »
The 28 days is up this Wednesday and already I can hear "squeaking" from inside the eggs and they are fairly moving around. There is still no sign of any cracking of the shell but it is an amazing time.

sandy

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 04:39:55 pm »
I am getting excited about my 2 Aylesbury Ducks :&>[move] :&>[/move]my grandchildren are chosing names for when I get them and I have sorted a nice house, they will roam around my garden and be able to use my otherwise useless pond...... :D

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 01:50:34 pm »
How are they now? If you still have them then, could we maybe pop in next week Tuesday after 5 (that's when I'm passing each week) to see them? Have they all a new home to go to, James?
Our accommodation for wee ones is still not ready, but if your incubator is unoccupied  - could I maybe bring some of our "funny mix" eggs, maybe in a couple week's time or so? I don't want it to be too cold when they hatch (been there, it was awful!). If that suits you, we can chat next week?
Kerstin :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 02:01:38 pm »
Kerstin Tuesday after 5 will be fine if you want to drop in. I now have 10 out of the 12 eggs showing signs of "I want out" I can hear them "squacking" it is so funny. They are not actually due to hatch till tomorrow so will have to wait and see what happens, they are on a go slow. All that hatch have new homes, there are Indian Runners and Cayaga's and possibly Aylesbury. It will be hard parting with them but I know that's what has to happen so will just have to get on with it.

Not a problem to incubate eggs for you, we can sort it out if you come over.

James

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 02:06:35 pm »
The brother of one of my neighbours is possibly wanting a couple of ducks to have in his garden - pets for the kids and eggs for them too. When I hear from him, I'll get in touch, James, and you can let me know if you have any available for him.  I'm not suer my eggs would be fertile as the only time I've seen Jack 'perform' is in the stream, and they haven't been out in it for a few days.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 02:26:22 pm »
Annie that is fine you can let me know. This post may appear twice as the last reply I posted seems to have gone missing! I think all 12 eggs now have started coming out which is great. These eggs were bought off E bay believe it or not, as were previous ones I have hatched. All my ducks are together so if I was to hatch any of my own now there is every chance they would be mixed! Last year I did manage to hatch 2 of my own eggs from the Buff Orpingtons and they are lovely now.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 08:09:12 pm »
Will the ducklings still be around next week? My girls might come along to see them...How long do the wee ones usually stay with you until they go to their new homes?
I had to laugh, Annie - I would bet against you that your eggs are going to be fertile, lol. I'm probably losing the bet against my OH though, the youngest duck seems to be a girl after all (glad to lose that one!).
I'm not fussed about the breed, as long as they lay eggs and are happy ducks.if they are boys we'll have to rethink, lol..I can throw some more eggs into the game, Annie, just for the fun of it. :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 08:39:18 pm »
Yes they will stay with me for about 4 weeks - depending on the weather outside. I have never raised any to give away before, so as soon as they are able to stay outside without their heat lamp they can go to their new home. Going to be hard parting with them... Don't think any of them are going to make an appearance tonight so looking forward to tomorrow.

James

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 10:26:52 pm »
Well all 12 eggs are now showing signs of breaking free but nonoe going to hatch before tomorrow. It is amazing how long it takes for them to escape. They are still moving about and "squeeking" which is fun to watch. :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 06:37:49 am »
3 ducklings appeared overnight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9grxSr9y0yI
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 07:40:09 am by jameslindsay »

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 03:03:45 pm »
congratulations, duckling dad! Hope they all make it.
Can't wait to see them. :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS