Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: snow snow and more snow!!!  (Read 7596 times)

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
snow snow and more snow!!!
« on: February 12, 2009, 10:26:17 pm »
Oh well, the cold spell continues..... more snow!!

This last week and a half's been a real nightmare at work (fish farm) with temperatures being between -6oC and  -9oC at night...it's meant working through the night trying to keep all the ponds free flowing and the fishes alive! Someimes I wonder why I do it!!

Then this morning woke up to an inch of snow and by lunch we had 8" on the ground...... hopefully it's going to start to warm up over the weekend...time will tell!!

A few pictures for you all to look at in any case!

All of the ponds have about 6" of ice on the top with all the fish paddling about underneath the ice, quite happily!

The house is ours, and me and one of my workmates even managed to build an "igloo" if you can call it that in half an hour!

pierre

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Deep in The Trossachs....
Re: snow snow and more snow!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 08:30:27 am »
 ;D ;D ;D

.... oh, what fun.... eh!!!

::) ::)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 01:47:37 pm »
That looks cold! It's a bit milder here today - hens can scratch without hurting themselves!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 03:11:20 pm »
At least you seem to be enjoying some of the snow. We are into our third week now and I for one have had enough of the stuff.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 06:05:36 pm »
John,
Love the photo of your house -it looks so peacefull, just the perfect xmas card scene !
Must be a nightmare for your fish though, hope you get a thaw soon !
Karen

nick-in-ca

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 08:12:51 pm »
snow snow 2 days in a row 12 inch snow fall  1st picture in front of crawler pushing a 8ft high bank of snow  2d in back of crawler cleared lane of snow
but i take it with a smile because March is coming maple syrup season in 10 days to 2 weeks from now till the snow disappears
enjoy  nick in Canada

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 10:05:21 pm »
Mmmm. I LOVE maple syrup.

Rainyplace

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 09:05:07 am »
Pancakes and maple syrup on the menu today as its Shrove Tuesday, we bring large containers back from New Hampshire its so good!
Jo

carole h

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 07:45:28 pm »
Great pictures Nic! Sadly we've just used the last of the maple syrup we brought back from Ontario last summer - beautiful place ...fab people.
Carole

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 06:15:25 pm »
I have more snow today !
Snowed quite heavily last night and woke to about 4 inches which has melted throughout today. But apparently there's more to come tonight and tomorrow.
After all my complaints of not getting snow last time - better not complain  :-\

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 07:59:46 pm »
The Ochils are white today but nothing much with us. Just wet mainly! We did have some fabulous blue skies as well but it's quite chilly.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 11:37:43 am »
lol we have snow quite a lot and into alloa just now,how far am i from you Rosemary,lol
still snowing outside but not really sticking now

linz

sandy

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 11:58:00 am »
Looks like we are in a snow globe at the moment, I would love to take the dogs out but Bruce can only take a few yards, it's too cold......think I will play snow balls with Islay

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 01:34:03 pm »
Rosemary has the advantage of being right beside the Forth!  So that will keep the snow away much of the time.  We have a LOT and it's lying but the sun has come out so hopefully it'll go away.  I HATE snow!!!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 05:34:29 pm »
When I was out at 3.00pm with the goats it was FREEZING here. Now at 5.30pm I have just been out feeding everyone and the sun is splitting the trees and it is like a summers day. The geese are, as I write, fighting with the 2 dairy goats for their dinner. The cold has gone and it is a lovely summers night. Hope this doesn't mean the snow is en route!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 05:45:24 pm by jameslindsay »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS