Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetland Heifers, when to put to the bull?  (Read 21208 times)

princesspiggy

Re: Shetland Heifers, when to put to the bull?
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2011, 10:42:42 pm »
I'll have Blizzard AI'd again in three weeks.

will he check breeze then too or just leave her?

fingers crossed  :love:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 08:50:50 pm »
Turns out neither are in calf  :'(

But worse things happen at sea, so semen ordered for next week. I'm going to use two bulls - Hengae Fearsome and Stanemore Odin - just need to decide who gets whom.

Maggie

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Umberleigh, Devon
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 09:20:56 pm »
Good luck!

I've had our bull Herbie in with my three girls for about a month now.  Finger crossed he's done his duty. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 10:24:15 pm »
Ohh, bad luck Rosemary.  Better luck next time!  (Hillie seems to have held on the FOURTH attempt - was she holding out until we tried another Jersey?!)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

princesspiggy

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2011, 04:27:24 pm »
sorry to hear that  :(

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2011, 08:38:55 pm »
Yeah, I was feeling a bit smug - I was SURE Breeze was in calf. Hey ho, nothing like smallholding to bring to back down to size  ;D :cow:

princesspiggy

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2011, 11:19:27 pm »
you'l appreciate it more now though, it took my favourite mare 3 years to fall pregnant so each foal since is just much more special. keep us posted though cos wer only a few months behind u with maya and daala.  :wave: :wave:

princesspiggy

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2011, 11:30:22 pm »
I'm going to use two bulls - Hengae Fearsome and Stanemore Odin - just need to decide who gets whom.
thats exciting  :D. are u breeding just for beef or aiming for breed standards? my 2 are half sisters on one side and cousins on the other but are very different in type, one is much more stockier. our finer one is apparently more traditional looking. are the bulls similar looking? do u get told leg measurements etc like u would for a stallion up for stud?
u can use the the bulls strengths to improve ur heifers weaknesses, great stuff  :D :D

Corrie Dhu

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2011, 08:23:00 pm »
Turns out neither are in calf  :'(

But worse things happen at sea, so semen ordered for next week. I'm going to use two bulls - Hengae Fearsome and Stanemore Odin - just need to decide who gets whom.

Oh drat.

I was away when my two possibles were due to bull and I used heat detect patches and they have not detected a heat.  BUT I am now wondering if I've got them too far forward so I am none the wiser really.  When's the earliest you can scan cows, anyone know?

Mr Bull is coming beginning of September so it would be typical if 2/3 are in calf now.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2011, 07:59:22 am »
I was away when my two possibles were due to bull and I used heat detect patches and they have not detected a heat.  BUT I am now wondering if I've got them too far forward so I am none the wiser really.  When's the earliest you can scan cows, anyone know?

Mr Bull is coming beginning of September so it would be typical if 2/3 are in calf now.

Scan 35 days after mating. What are heat detect patches?

Which bull are you getting?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2011, 08:03:15 am »
thats exciting  :D. are u breeding just for beef or aiming for breed standards? my 2 are half sisters on one side and cousins on the other but are very different in type, one is much more stockier. our finer one is apparently more traditional looking. are the bulls similar looking? do u get told leg measurements etc like u would for a stallion up for stud?
u can use the the bulls strengths to improve ur heifers weaknesses, great stuff  :D :D

Mine are by the same bull and their dams are full sisters and they are quite similar. Both are quite stocky with a leg at each corner. We're breeding pure and for milk and beef.

Unfortunately, the data on bulls is very limited so it's more a case of picking ones that are unrelated and don't have Boris and Rasmie. In most cases, there isn't even a photo available. The SCBA does list details of progeny, but it's not awfully helpful. I'm just assuming that the SCHBS and RBST wouldn't save semen from bulls that weren't good specimens.

princesspiggy

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2011, 10:16:03 am »
Both are quite stocky with a leg at each corner.
lol...mine have same dad and their dams are twin sisters, but they are quite different in type. but both are lovely.
iv just been offered a cracking bull calf for next year but still have the dilema of getting them pregnant shortly.
ai or natural?
rosemary, did u manage ai without a "proper" crush?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2011, 02:15:06 pm »
It was fine with our "gate" crush. They are very quiet and well trained on the halter. I just tied them up and swung the gate ove to steady their back ends and it was just dandy.

PhillipWillie

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Ballymoney
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2011, 04:47:47 pm »

I used heat detect patches and they have not detected a heat.  BUT I am now wondering if I've got them too far forward
[/quote]

The cattle need to be mounting each other for the heat patches to work as they are set of by friction. Have you considered bringing them into heat artificially and then AI'? I did this with the 2 dexters i had, only one held tho :/

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2011, 05:12:22 pm »
We maybe should start a new topic 'Heat detection'.

It's not easy.  Heifers don't always mount each other.  BH likes to run a couple of bullocks on, they usually do enjoy getting involved - but not always. 

With house cows that you see every day, you get to learn her signs.  (Hillie is hot, then fretful, then very soppy, then rampant.)  But the first time is difficult if she's not a mounter or very vocal herself.  If you can handle her in the field you may be able to learn how she reacts to a tail rub; this may change when she's bulling.  Otherwise it's down to looking for the mucous and blood a few times, working out her repeat pattern, then getting her served the day before she bloods.

Otherwise I guess it's finding a suitable suitor in the flesh - not easy if you want rare breed pedigree. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS