Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetland Heifers, when to put to the bull?  (Read 21206 times)

Corrie Dhu

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Shetland Heifers, when to put to the bull?
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2011, 05:36:32 pm »
I have synchronised them, and AI'd them - 3 times!

I used KAMARs and they are as far as I am aware to do with the cow being mounted and standing still.  I have used tail paint previously and I can assure you, my cows allll mount each other when they are in season!  ;D  If however I have put the patch too far forward then the cow could have been mounted and it not activated.  I am getting them scanned next week.  It wasn't desperately important to know if they were in calf or not because I have abandoned AI now and got a bull to hire instead.

Rosemary he is called CARN BHREN ETHELRED and he has very low B/R (less than 1% if I remember correctly) which is unusual in a red animal.  The red bull calf we have bought has NO B/R which makes him very special, he is also completely stunning and a rather beefy type which is ideal for our purposes and my rather fine cows.  I will email a new pic to you since I can't seem to get them uploaded on here for some reason.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2011, 07:48:18 pm »
Blizzard is bulling - roaring, a bit swollen and trying to mount Breeze, who is having none of it. I'll check them later but I think it will be a call to Genus in the morning.

Corrie Dhu

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2011, 08:22:21 pm »
Is this the second time you are AIing Rosemary?  Did you get two different bull semen this time?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2011, 07:34:28 am »
I've got Hengae Fearsome and Stanemore Odin. Blizzard will get Fearsome and Breeze, when she comes on bulling, Odin. Yes, second time. Just   ::)

Corrie Dhu

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2011, 08:55:50 pm »
Have they not bulled at the same time then?

I actually have my doubts about all this syncro stuff.  It seems to me if you force them in heat, they may not be as receptive to holding a pregnancy at least the first time after the syncro.  Just my own views and based on nothing but a suspicion for interfering!  If my two have held, then this would be the third cycle since syncro.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2011, 08:54:44 am »
Blizzard was AI'd yesterday with Hengae Fearsome. She'll be done again today. Vima, the technician, said she was definitely in season.

I thought they would come back together but Blizzard was in season three weeks after the first AI, so I was sure she wasn't in calf. Breeze, on the other hand, was bawling four+ weeks after AI, so I thought she might be in calf. I'll be looking for her to come in season next week - she roars the place down, so never much doubt.

With all I'd read about heat detection, I was worried that I might miss it. Standard advice is to spend 3x30 minutes periods each day observing stock - which is fine with a few hundred head. Fortunately, it's been sunny so an excuse to sit in the field watching the cows and the sheep was quite welcome  ;D

Corrie Dhu

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2011, 09:32:27 am »
I've been told I did have the Kamars too far forward, but probably they still should have gone off if they had been mounted...  So I am none the wiser and getting them scanned next week  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS