Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Basket weaving  (Read 17563 times)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Re: Basket weaving
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 09:43:35 am »
Just emailed Anna from Edinburgh!

Sandy

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 10:52:36 am »
Last time I did basket weaving I was 17, in hospital with the results of flu and made loads of trays and did not finnish my waste paper basket!!! I have a job finnishing what I start too ::)
I broke all my nails and when I went under my bed to collect all the dropped bits, a very young attractive Priest came in to visit me and my temp went sky high again!!!!!

Sounds fantastic as I saw some one on TV weaving some wonderful baskets!!!!!!

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2011, 08:54:41 pm »
Basketmaking for beginners/improvers - Falkland, Fife

Thursday 21st and Friday 22nd October, 9am to 5pm

A two day course with tutor Jane Wilkinson. Beginners will make a circular basket while improvers can try oval work. Improvers are encouraged to contact Jane in advance to discuss your interests. Jane can be contacted via Falkland Centre for Stewardship's office.

Cost £80/£60 and includes materials, refreshments and a lunch.

Numbers are limited and places must be booked by Wednesday 13th October.

Courses suitable for adults. For bookings and more information:
Falkland Centre for Stewardship
The Stables
Falkland Estate
Falkland
Fife
KY15 7AF
T: 01337 858838
E: info@centreforstewardship.org.uk
www.centreforstewardship.org.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2011, 10:05:08 pm »
It is Jane who did the course I went on at Kindrogan.  She is very good and makes the whole thing so easy and obvious.  Go if you can  8)  She had some of my Hebridean fleece to see if she could incorporate it into a basket - I would love to know if she managed.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 10:40:00 am »
That sounds great, if a bit expensive.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 12:29:18 pm »
I'd love to spend a winter weekend learning something like that, so do please keep me posted!

It would be a good one to do in conjunction with CSSA (I know most of the folks from there are also on here, but perhaps not all?).
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Sandy

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 12:32:59 pm »
Thats a good idea womble, I would hope to go as it is a bit too much for me as well!! wonder if a Dog basket for 4 Labs is a bit ambitious ???

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 03:04:54 pm »
One person I emailed said she's trying to cut down on running courses so no, I emailed another lot, and the one Womble suggested http://www.all-about-willow.co.uk/, will let you know. I'm happy to hold something here if that suits everyone and we can find someone to teach us.

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 04:36:24 pm »
I've had a reply from a basket teaching lady called Catherine Davies who will come out and do a day or whatever. She's going to ring with dates, options and prices. Any preferences for when, where, and what she teaches?  :)

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 05:06:27 pm »
That sounds fab - hope I can tag along  :-*

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2011, 12:44:51 pm »

When:  How about an autumn/winter weekend, or two concurrent saturdays say?  We're all likely to be a bit less busy then, and it seems like the perfect activity for when the nights are fair drawing in, etc!!

Where: Your place would be unbeatable if you don't mind, otherwise I'm sure a village hall or similar could be arranged.

What: Depends what can be taught in what timescale. I'd settle for a wonky egg collection basket, but what I REALLY want is a new log basket.

Well, I can dream, can't I?  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2011, 01:19:26 pm »
Where: For me fuel costs mean I would only go as far as Dunfermline for a one day and my preference would be as local to me as possible eg at Egglady's place I'd do 2 days!  The 2 day course at Falkland, or the 3 day woodfest event even, tho more expensive than I would probably want, means I'd need a real bargain to go further afield if I do find money to go..  I'd enjoy it but it isn't a priority so has to be easy and/or cheap to make it one!

What: I understand round baskets are easier than oval ones but whatever is easiest for a complete beginner but produces something I can actually use rather than purely decorative (or not!) - log basket, egg basket, wool basket, laundry basket - any size would be useful if I could replicate it at need but I don't need more ornaments.. :)

When: if it's a full day then I want to set off and get home in daylight so I can see animals not work entirely in the dark for 2 days while rushing about the country in between ::)  So for me no later than autumn.  Dead of winter is hard enough without a day or two driving somewhere and being away all day, particularly if things go wrong at home or the weather is bad..
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2011, 01:54:37 pm »
The lady who contacted me is going to ring me, I'll try to get a variety of dates, prices, options for what she teaches and then we can vote on it! Very happy to have it here, also have a couple of local friends who would jump at the chance. The more people (within reason, of course) we have the lower the cost p/p will be. I'd quite like to do 2 days too, I'm sure even if she agrees to a 2 day course people could just do a smaller one day project. Will let you know when I hear from her.  :)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2011, 03:18:30 pm »
it may well be that we end up with 2 dates and venues, as the reason i asked the question in the first place was becuase i didnt want to travel miles for a course (time and cost of fuel), so share ellie's comments and we have lots of animals too so dont like to take advantange of friends and neighbours to look after them - espeically when the weather starts to turn.

i doubt if I'd travel to Dunfermline for 2 days Dizzycow, but will wait and see what your lady comes back with....and of course the option of accomodation in our residential caravan is still there

egglady  :(

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 03:21:29 pm »
Two dates and two venues would suit twice the number of people!  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS