Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Basket weaving  (Read 17470 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Basket weaving
« on: July 06, 2011, 10:38:49 am »
anyone near me that can teach me how to make baskets please?

WaltDisneyWorld

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: Basket weaving
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 11:46:07 am »
Are you anywhere near Diss, Norfolk? I too am keen to try basket weaving and have put my name down for a 6 - 8 week course and as yet I haven't been given a start date as we need one more person to sign up  :)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 11:58:02 am »
I'm near Dunfermline and would like to learn too!  ;D

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 12:36:57 pm »
Are you anywhere near Diss, Norfolk? I too am keen to try basket weaving and have put my name down for a 6 - 8 week course and as yet I haven't been given a start date as we need one more person to sign up  :)
i wish i was WDW, but sadly no, i am in Fife (Scotland).

and Dizzycow, have one possible source for a course - will let you know if anything comes of it....but still looking if anyone else knows please

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 02:11:50 pm »
I went on a wonderful one weeks basketmaking course with the Field Studies Council, up near somewhere like Dunkeld but my brain is on strike today so can't remember exactly where.  Google FSC for details although they fill up fast.  Once I remember I will come back  ::)  There is also someone in Haddington who allegedly teaches basketmaking but neither my DiL nor I could get a reply.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 03:09:34 pm »
http://www.westmossside.com sounds great. http://www.basketassoc.org/register/maker.php?maker=126 might come to us if we got a group together?

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 03:30:29 pm »
http://www.westmossside.com sounds great. http://www.basketassoc.org/register/maker.php?maker=126 might come to us if we got a group together?

deff up for that, we have a residential caravan so if it's a 2 day-er we can provide accomodation.

who else fancies it?

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 05:26:31 pm »
I think they used to teach willow basket work at Monimail Tower which is only a few miles from you, tho I'm not in direct contact with them.

Falkland Stewardship lot at the stables on Falkland Estate are also advertising a course on wood and something where you all do basket weaving and then you add one of three other wood crafts over 2-3 days - sorry I didn't pick up a leaflet and can't remember details but it's probably online somewhere if you google it..

A friend learned somewhere near Callander or Balqhidder last year but she's moved away now and I don't remember where - the Moss-side yurt place might have been it..

I'd be interested if there is a TAS gathering and it isn't too far or too dear ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 07:09:38 pm »
Could have been that Buddhist place near Balquidder.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 07:51:50 pm »
OH has remembered where I went  :)  It was Kindrogan Field Centre at Enochdhu, between Pitlochrie and Blairgowrie, Field Studies Council.  The course was an intense 5 days but I learned SO much - and made a lovely basket which I now use for my spinning stuff.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 08:43:08 pm »
OH has remembered where I went  :)  It was Kindrogan Field Centre at Enochdhu, between Pitlochrie and Blairgowrie, Field Studies Council.  The course was an intense 5 days but I learned SO much - and made a lovely basket which I now use for my spinning stuff.

flippin heck!  dunno that i could commit to 5 days...seems like an awful long time......or is that just me?  going to investigate nonetheless....

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 11:33:47 pm »
OH has remembered where I went  :)  It was Kindrogan Field Centre at Enochdhu, between Pitlochrie and Blairgowrie, Field Studies Council.  The course was an intense 5 days but I learned SO much - and made a lovely basket which I now use for my spinning stuff.

flippin heck!  dunno that i could commit to 5 days...seems like an awful long time......or is that just me?  going to investigate nonetheless....

No it's not just you - it is an awful long time  ;D ;D  But it makes the difference between being just about able to have a go at something or really knowing what you are doing.  I have also been on a 5 day loom weaving course down in Cumbria, and a 3 day canoeing course (that one with OH).  Beats lying on a boring beach somewhere getting sunburn  :D :D

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 08:33:04 am »
Very adventurous! I've got past the lying on a beach stage too, would much rather be doing something active.

Back to basket weaving - I have three smallies so wouldn't be able to do anything that involves staying away overnight. I don't mind if it's five days, though, but it would need to be reasonably local for me.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 09:24:49 am »
Another option is to get a good book and look at Utube clips - must be some out there.  There is an inspirational book called something like 'hedgerow baskets' which shows you how to make a wide variety of baskets using material you can grow yourself or find - they look wonderful.  You don't learn the tricks of the trade that you would on a course, but if you can't get away it's worth a thought.
I'm beginning to wonder if my basket course really was 5 days or if it was a long weekend but seemed like 5 days   ;D ;D ;D  It was a couple of years ago now  ::) ???

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 09:40:35 am »
That's a good plan! I'm not good at finishing what I start, though! I'm happy to hold something here if we can get someone to teach and provide materials. Shall I ask around? How exciting!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS