Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep Showing  (Read 23270 times)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Re: Sheep Showing
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2011, 07:22:41 pm »
No couldn't make it as son came up from Cardiff to tag my lambs as couldn't do it myself because I'm still awaiting physio on my hand, (it's got degeneration) so can't grip the tagger tight enough without causing the lambs anymore pain thean necessary.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2011, 11:02:47 am »
I am having a try out with my Black Welsh Mountains for the first time at Cardigan as well so you won't be alone among the first timers.  Shown cattle before but never sheep and the training is feeling really strange at the moment.  Also doing Fishguard and Pembroke County but avoiding Martletwy because a very kind judge has taken pity on me and invited me to stand in the ring with him and listen to explanations about why he is placing each sheep where.  Not sure how many breeds they will judge at the same time at Cardigan but maybe we can wave at each other.  Hmmm I'm getting nervous now just thinking about it :)

OK Fronhaul, have now entered Fishguard too....and so doing the same 3 shows as you and hopefully should see you at at least one of them ;D ;D Mind you, a lot depends on haymaking  ::) ::)    How's the training going?   
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2011, 09:56:47 am »
OK, tomorrows the BIG day  ;D :sheep: :sheep:    Trailer is loaded with all the bits n pieces that MIGHT be needed as well as those that WILL be needed - except the sheep that is.    Been practicing the 'leading' malarky and the girl in question is coming along albeit somewhat reluctantly - I;m just hoping I can get inbetween other people in the hopes she walks out a bit more  ::).   Been snipping here and there, but am informed that Dartmoors aren't washed and preened, just tidied up  :D suits me  :farmer:      Weather forcast is continuing lovely weather and so OH will no doubt drop me, the girls and the trailer off at the show ground and then have to come back and carry on hayturning (we cut last Saturday), but hopefully he'll be able to take a few pics at some point.  Will keep you posted.
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2011, 11:32:13 am »
Bon Chance :)
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2011, 12:26:16 pm »
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2011, 02:45:23 pm »
Have a good day, enjoy and keep an eye out for the ryelands. Best of luck. ;D
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2011, 03:39:37 pm »
Have a good day, enjoy and keep an eye out for the ryelands. Best of luck. ;D

I'll definately go check out the Ryelands whilst I'm there  ;) :sheep:
Cheers Kaz :wave:
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2011, 10:09:18 am »
So how did it go? I bet everyone was friendly and willing to help and that you are now exhausted, as it can seems quite a long day when doing anything like that.
Are you taking anything to Ludlow this year?

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2011, 10:19:13 am »
Well, we had a fantastic day at Cardigan Show yesterday.   Not only was the weather perfect - blue skies, lovely and warm but with a gentle breeze, but the location is simply stunning too.     We set off early and were probably about the 3rd sheepy people to arrive, and were surrounded by lots and lots of empty pens.  However by 9.30am there was a constant stream of vehicles and trailers off loading sheep of all colours, shapes, sizes, breeds and ages and all those pens very quickly filled up and people all around were snipping away with their dagging shears, polishing horns, spraying ??something onto the faces....not sure what, could have been water,  :-\.. and busily titivating their sheep.   Our girls were to be shown 'naturally' so didn't have to worry about too much fussing over ours (although we were only showing one, as the other one had just come along as companion  :D).      All of sudden the classes seemed to commence all around us and I donned my new white coat and put my number on ready.     We were in a class of 4 ewes in the Rare and Minority Breeds and against 2 Coloured Ryelands and a little Balwen.      Much deliberation by the judge and lots of inspecting and we were called in 2nd.   Absolutely overjoyed with this result and grinned from ear to ear.    Steward then told us to be ready to come back fairly soon for the Championship.  I didn't understand that one at all.  Why would we come back when we were a 2nd place????   Anyway about 20 mins later we were called back and asked to wait on the sidelines.   I then got to probe the steward a bit more and he explained that if the one that was placed 1st in my class was given the Champion, then one of the other 1st placers would automatically be picked as Reserve. But, if one of the others was placed 1st then I would be put into the line-up too.  Hmmmmm.....oh well, we stood and watched more deliberation and then the judge made her decision and placed the Ram as Champion.  She then turned to me and indicated to me to join the line up.    After what seemed like only a few moments, she came over and gave us RESERVE - OMG - so excited.   The judge clearly liked her and in fact said "she's beautiful and has a lovely top line".  WELL, what a result.    We're clearly hooked now and can't wait for the next show, although we do realise that the next judge may take one look and think she's rubbish  ;D ;D but that's their choice and decision.  Brilliant, brilliant day.  :sheep:  :love: :sheep:   :love::sheep:  :love: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :wave:
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2011, 10:23:45 am »
So how did it go? I bet everyone was friendly and willing to help and that you are now exhausted, as it can seems quite a long day when doing anything like that.
Are you taking anything to Ludlow this year?

I can't tell you how helpful people were and came and gave us lots of help and advice and tips and then came and congratulated us afterwards.  Spoke to Penny Mee whom I understand is your 'judge' at your first probationary show  ;)  She was great and made us feel very welcome.   

The general public were amazing. We had sooooooo many people come up and ask about the sheep.  They were clearly a hit because of their very curly fleeces and little black noses  :sheep:.

Not entering anything for Ludlow, but wouldn't mind going along to view and actually could do with another white Tup this year......not that Hywel will ever leave here, unless his feet are in the air  ::) but do need another blood line now.    How about you?
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2011, 10:34:25 am »
Taking a coloured ram lamb this year he is out of two white parents, one being Dolwen Kaiser, trouble is we have to leave here about 5.30 to get to Ludlow as it is all windy roads. Everything has to be penned by 8.30. Don't know how many will be there, but have entered him to show so that could be interesting.
So you met Pennie Mee. She's great and an ideal person to go out on my first judging expedition. ;D

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2011, 10:35:21 am »
Oh forgot. Well done on your first time out showing. Hope it continues.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2011, 06:16:46 pm »
Not entering anything for Ludlow, but wouldn't mind going along to view and actually could do with another white Tup this year......not that Hywel will ever leave here, unless his feet are in the air  ::) but do need another blood line now. 

You should go to Ludlow - you will not see such range and choice of Ryelands and Coloured Ryelands anywhere else. There is usually something for every budget.

Good social occasion too and a great opportunity to meet breeders form all over the UK.

Am I selling this to you????
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2011, 06:24:03 pm »
Talking about showing my Ryeland, anyone know someone who can card & trim him properly for me, or he'll have to have a harum scarum hairdo. Not really the thing for the RFBS show & sale. at Ludlow. :D :D

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2011, 06:50:35 pm »
Talking about showing my Ryeland, anyone know someone who can card & trim him properly for me, or he'll have to have a harum scarum hairdo. Not really the thing for the RFBS show & sale. at Ludlow. :D :D

Personally I'd go for the harum scarum - will show your individuality  ;D
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS