Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep Showing  (Read 23234 times)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Re: Sheep Showing
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2011, 06:51:34 pm »
Not entering anything for Ludlow, but wouldn't mind going along to view and actually could do with another white Tup this year......not that Hywel will ever leave here, unless his feet are in the air  ::) but do need another blood line now. 

You should go to Ludlow - you will not see such range and choice of Ryelands and Coloured Ryelands anywhere else. There is usually something for every budget.

Good social occasion too and a great opportunity to meet breeders form all over the UK.

Am I selling this to you????

I'd love to go - its just the time factor thing.......but I'm workin' on it  ;)
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2011, 08:29:30 am »
Talking about showing my Ryeland, anyone know someone who can card & trim him properly for me, or he'll have to have a harum scarum hairdo. Not really the thing for the RFBS show & sale. at Ludlow. :D :D

Personally I'd go for the harum scarum - will show your individuality  ;D

It will match me than probably at that time of the morning.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2011, 01:21:28 pm »
Very well done Blinkers.  I am so jealous but the hay had to come first and we were baling and frantically trying to beat the rain.  I guess 560 bales sitting snugly in the barn makes up for it a little but I am still upset I missed it.  Going to try for Fishguard on Friday and hope nothing else happens in the meantime.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2011, 03:13:17 pm »
Very well done Blinkers.  I am so jealous but the hay had to come first and we were baling and frantically trying to beat the rain.  I guess 560 bales sitting snugly in the barn makes up for it a little but I am still upset I missed it.  Going to try for Fishguard on Friday and hope nothing else happens in the meantime.

Ohhhh....Fronhaul, I kept wondering if you were there - but yep, hay MUST come first.     Will defo see you at Fishguard then  ;D ;D ;D  ..... and I've even just bought two dinky little jute jackets for my two  ::) :D :D
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2011, 03:10:05 pm »
Third with one of mine and nothing with the other but I learnt a lot.  And next time I move black and white sheep to a show in the same trailer one or the other is going to have to wear show coats.  Picking white hairs out of a black sheep is not my favourite pastime.

Pembroke next.  Now that is going to be seriously scarey but I have to say I am looking forward to it.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2011, 09:07:32 pm »
  Picking white hairs out of a black sheep is not my favourite pastime.

And vice versa ;)
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2011, 11:05:03 am »
Snap - we got a 3rd too.......bu then again there were only 3 in the clasee  ;D ;D ;D    The Ram Lamb barely got a glance from the judge, but then again, they amalgamated us little Lowland Breeds with the SUFFOLKS :o :o :o, so wacking great big bruisers of Ram Lambs -   ::) ::) - very nice though, even if I do say so myself.     Like you Fronhaul, we learned more and got some great tips from a lovely lad who breeds Llanwenogs.

See you at Pembrokeshire  :wave: :wave:
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2011, 01:50:05 pm »
I cheated so the other way round didn'tmatter VSS.  The other breed I had in the trailer was a Jacob.  Jacobs appear to be like pointers - they only shed white onto dark colours.  Or is my life just a mass of conficting animals hair colours.  Pembroke will be a different matter because I think the Shropshires are coming in the trailer with the blacks. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS