Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep Showing  (Read 23268 times)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Sheep Showing
« on: July 05, 2011, 10:53:21 am »
Well, I've decided to have a go at showing a Sheep  :o :o   I've had a lesson in how to hold it, how to stand it, how to lead it, how to tidy it up, how to trim its tail and its face............and I've actually just posted off my entry - and now I'm getting excited/scared/worried all at the same time, and the show isn't until the end of the month  :P

Any futher tips gratefully received  ;D ;D
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: Sheep Showing
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 07:35:02 pm »
No idea.... find a nice white coat, and have fun :D

Might be an idea after the class, if judges/other exhibitors have time, to ask for some feedback? Show you're keen and all that?

Good luck and let us know how you go on  :sheep:

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 09:00:11 pm »
Where are you going to?
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 10:31:35 pm »
Thanks Yorkshirelass  ;)

VSS - well for starters - Cardigan as its local.....and then I thought maybe Pembs County  :o :o     ACtually I've just been reminded that there is a good section in your hubby's book (My Bible) about showing - so need to go and have a read  ;D ;D

Off to the countrystore to get a white coat and a decent halter tomorrow  :D and did a bit of halter/leadrein training with a couple of Ewes today  ;D
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 09:22:21 am »
Pembrokeshire is a pretty big show - but a really good ryeland turnout. Have the entries not closed?

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 11:31:32 am »
Entries close this Saturday......and I'm taking a Greyface Dartmoor  ;D ;D I thought I'd be less conspicuous  ;)
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 08:05:08 am »
 That's crafty! What about your Ryelands?  The people who show them won't bite, they love a bit of friendly competion and are extremely helpful.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 10:43:05 am »
Entries close this Saturday......and I'm taking a Greyface Dartmoor 

::)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 02:12:49 pm »
That's crafty! What about your Ryelands?  The people who show them won't bite, they love a bit of friendly competion and are extremely helpful.

Coward, that's me.  ::)  I'm thinking I won't turn mine out as beautifully as them, so thought I'd just stay incognito in the background.   Once I've got used to what's what, who does what, what goes where, etc etc.....I'll bring out a Ryeland  ;)
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

onnyview

• Joined Dec 2009
    • onnyview free range produce
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 03:21:08 pm »
Good luck with your showing Blinkers! It really is great and exhausting fun. At least with pigs it is, haven't been to any shows with our sheep yet this year.

Allison

Onnyview free range produce- Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs, Hill Radnor and Llanwenog sheep.

www.onnyview.moonfruit.com

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 03:37:07 pm »
Good luck, it's sooo much fun, we've got the New Forest Show soon. I just love it, they've laid on a stockman's dinner for the first time this year.
I think they've Just realised we all get hungry!!

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 04:13:09 pm »
Fair play blinkers and the very best of luck to you ;D ;D.......do let us know how you get on :sheep:

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 07:05:07 pm »
That's crafty! What about your Ryelands?  The people who show them won't bite, they love a bit of friendly competion and are extremely helpful.

Coward, that's me.  ::)  I'm thinking I won't turn mine out as beautifully as them, so thought I'd just stay incognito in the background.   Once I've got used to what's what, who does what, what goes where, etc etc.....I'll bring out a Ryeland  ;)

Try the Tivyside show next year. That is a small show and probably an ideal one to start with the Ryelands as it is not too far from yourselves, also try searching for Ryeland show etiquette as quite a good article written by a Ryeland shower on what the judges are looking for.
Best of luck anyway and expect to see you showing them Ryelands later on.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 07:07:19 pm by kaz »
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 08:36:56 pm »
Awwww... thanks guys  ;D and I certainly will let you know how I get on {{gulp}}.    I've now sent off my entry for Pembs County Show too.....with a little note inside apologising if I've got anything wrong....talk about confusing....adding in the AML1 forms too  :-\ :-\ etc etc.

Kaz - thanks ever so for that tip - I will DEFO look out for that show and make it my first Ryeland show  ;) .... maybe I'll even have a decent lamb out of 'Karen'  (sorry, we had to call her that  :D :D :D) and will be able to enter him/her.    I've got a copy on the PC somewhere about Showing Etiquette, written by the Masters  ;) ;D and am going to dig that out too as it may be useful for these first ones.

I've now got my new white coat  ::) ::) and even got away with a Child's Large size{{laughing}} and also a new sparkling white halter as my others are somewhat.....ummm....discoloured.

Watching the post every morning now for my.......whatever  8) 8) 8)...tickets/entry passes

Getting nervous now {{take another sip of wine}}

:sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 08:45:49 pm »
Practice with the sheep, getting him/her to stand nicely. I say this from the humiliation of not being able to hold my badly behaved shearling once  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS