Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep Showing  (Read 23243 times)

robert waddell

Re: Sheep Showing
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 09:05:13 pm »
i am surprised that you have not been overwhelmed with advice      other than coat halter and getting them to stand correctly  handle them as much as possible     some can be led with your hand under there chin
your aml 1    should go with you and your sheep on the day     do you have an approved isolation facility :sheep: :farmer:

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 11:11:46 pm »
i am surprised that you have not been overwhelmed with advice      other than coat halter and getting them to stand correctly  handle them as much as possible     some can be led with your hand under there chin
your aml 1    should go with you and your sheep on the day     do you have an approved isolation facility :sheep: :farmer:

Yep - been shown how to hold them under the chin - never knew about that little trick  ;).     Isolation unit for pigs only.   Would I need one for the occasional show, or is it a 'must'?    They asked for the AML forms to go with the entry "to speed things up"  :-\ :-\ :o
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 11:23:21 pm »
The AML form has to travel in the vehicle with you and the animals.

An isolation unit is only necessary if you want to avoid standstills from each show you attend.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

robert waddell

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 08:09:11 am »
my understanding of the isolation unit               it is a separate facility within the main unit  when animals are within that unit the rest of your stock is not subject to shut down only the animals contained in that facilityare subject to 6 days standstill             you cant just invent an isolation unit  you have to apply and be approved and have the paperwork confirming such
like other legislation this COULD vary from area to area   again this is only the interpretation of the written words contained within the documents sent following approval :farmer:

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 08:29:41 am »

Kaz - thanks ever so for that tip - I will DEFO look out for that show and make it my first Ryeland show  ;) .... maybe I'll even have a decent lamb out of 'Karen'  (sorry, we had to call her that  :D :D :D) and will be able to enter him/her.    I've got a copy on the PC somewhere about Showing Etiquette, written by the Masters  ;) ;D and am going to dig that out too as it may be useful for these first ones.

Had a couple of real nice ewe lambs out of Karen's sister Kate this year.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 10:46:16 am »
I am having a try out with my Black Welsh Mountains for the first time at Cardigan as well so you won't be alone among the first timers.  Shown cattle before but never sheep and the training is feeling really strange at the moment.  Also doing Fishguard and Pembroke County but avoiding Martletwy because a very kind judge has taken pity on me and invited me to stand in the ring with him and listen to explanations about why he is placing each sheep where.  Not sure how many breeds they will judge at the same time at Cardigan but maybe we can wave at each other.  Hmmm I'm getting nervous now just thinking about it :)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 11:03:20 am »
Oh weyhey - great stuff Fronhaul - will defo have to keep a look out for each other.   I've got the Fishguard Schedule here, and not made up my mind yet - but maybe I'll go for it now that I know a TAS person is also gonna be there  ;D

robbert waddell - yeah, we have an isolation unit for the pigs as we have a boar who moves on and off and we have weaners going off very often too - so all official in that department.    We won't be doing any back-to-back showing with the sheep, so don't think I'll worry about an isolation unit for the sheeps at this stage  ;)

Kaz - sadly, Karen was GOT AT by my Lleyn Ram who busted throught the wooden gate and made a bee line for her last October....despite the Ryeland Ram being in there too.....who looked on rather sadly  :-\    We were just in the middle of swapping rams around to put them with their respective little gangs of wives, only Po decided he wasn't going to wait (devil).  Don't have the Lleyns anymore as much prefer the woolley sheep.....although the shearer doesnt {{{snigger snigger}}}.    Fingers crossed for next year  ::)

Fleecewife - the AML stuff was a rather odd arrangement, so maybe I've misunderstood.....but no doubt they'll ring or send it back if I've got it wrong.   I'm going to take another set with me to be on the safe side. 

Did a bit more lead rein training yesterday.   The ewe I'm going to show is doing quite well, but her mate whom I'm taking along as a companion, isn't quite so keen and seems to spend a lot of time either with all 4 feet way up in the air or else lying down on the ground  :sheep: :sheep:
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 11:58:35 am »
Yes your isolation unit is necessary if you want to prevent a 6 day shutdown form moving animals off your holding. not a problem if you get back from a show then don't move anything for 6 days. We use it because we sometimes have shows very close together and also need to keep taking our stock to market. ( the animals within the unit are not shut down for 6 days)
The isolation unit has to be approved via your vet who sends the forms to DEFRA, these units need to be separated from other stock ie; no stock that can touch nose to nose through a fence and you should have a change of clothes there for dealing with the stock in them.
Sometimes as in the case of ours, the unit has a separate holding number.
Your AML1 form should travel with you and your sheep on the day as this has a arrival and departure time on it.
Don't worry if it's your first time everyone will be fairly chilled about it and will soon put you right.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 12:36:03 pm »
Tivyside show on this weekend if you want to have a look. I know there is Ryelands there so if you get time it might be worth a look to see how well trimmed up they are. I think the judging is at 11.00. Can't make it myself as son coming this weekend to do some tasks I haven't been able to and can't put him off as he has been trying to come for the last 3 months to help.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 02:22:09 pm »
Cool - thanks Kaz.    I've just given someone your phone number.  They're looking for Coloured Ryelands and I've already sold more than I intended  ::) ::) and I've just got two Ram Lambs left that I'm going to register as both are good, good mouths and lovely fleeces already as by a cracking ram who won wool on the hoof a couple of years ago.  ;)
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2011, 03:20:24 pm »
If you see a mad fat female with two small black sheep (a shearling ewe and a ram lamb) and possibly a shearling Jacob ram if his head heals after a butting match come and yell at me.  David Thomas the small flock shearer has bravely agreed to come along if husband chickens out (and he hates shows so probably will).  Cardigan is a trial run for me and I am beginning to think I must be completely bonkers bearing in mind the ram lamb wasn't really handled until two weeks ago but I am assured that practice for him this season will stand him in good stead for next.  I know I need the practice that is for sure!

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2011, 07:00:16 pm »
If you see a mad fat female with two small black sheep (a shearling ewe and a ram lamb) and possibly a shearling Jacob ram if his head heals after a butting match come and yell at me.  David Thomas the small flock shearer has bravely agreed to come along if husband chickens out (and he hates shows so probably will).  Cardigan is a trial run for me and I am beginning to think I must be completely bonkers bearing in mind the ram lamb wasn't really handled until two weeks ago but I am assured that practice for him this season will stand him in good stead for next.  I know I need the practice that is for sure!

;D ;D ;D   Snap, my hubbys not keen either, but will still be there although may disappear after the class as there will be a lot of hanging around ..... which he doesn't do  ::) ::).    Trial run for me too.  I've entered the same ewe AND a Ram lamb for Pembs and he hasn't had a hand put on him yet other than to vaccinate him twice and worm him......so probably not gonna be keen to be caught up.    I did a bit more practicing today and we're getting a bit better, although she's still difficult to catch, but then again, as long as she doesn't escape from the pen, I shouldn't have to worry about that  ;D ;D
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2011, 07:04:45 pm »
Did you manage Tivyside today?

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2011, 07:10:03 pm »
We've decided to take a supplementary flock book, ram lamb to the RFB show & sale. Should be interesting as haven't taken anything there for years and are probably going to show him. ::) ::)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2011, 07:12:14 pm »
Did you manage Tivyside today?

Sadly no, we took advantage of the sudden dry warm day to catch up on some jobs that were oerdue following the last 5 days of wet  ::)  Did you go?
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS