Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: brand new member  (Read 2786 times)

sue collins

• Joined Jun 2011
brand new member
« on: June 29, 2011, 11:28:40 am »
We are thinking about showing our sheep but it all seems too complicated just to take a couple of lambs.  We are very new to this and started keeping sheep last October.  We mainly use them to train our border collies on.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: brand new member
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 01:38:59 pm »
Hello Sue and welcome. Whereabouts are you from?

I am in central Scotland, and breed and show dairy goats. I'm afraid I don't know much about showing sheep! What kind do you have?

Beth

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 08:09:48 pm »
hello and welcome  :wave:
Little Blue

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 09:08:37 am »
Hi and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

We have coloured Ryelands and I have toyed with the idea of showing but haven't got round to it yet.

Sandy

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 11:10:08 am »
 :wave: :wave: Hello, only eat sheep but welcome!!!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 11:42:14 am »
Welcome I like sheep when they belong to others, too much hard work for me.  Good luck with showing hope you have loads of fun.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 03:58:47 pm »
Hello there.  We farm beef & sheep and I dream of being able to put in the time to trial my collies - who knows, maybe when we downsize.  I absolutely love working with them doing real jobs about the farm.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

sue collins

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 10:57:59 pm »
sorry to seem rude. didnt know how to find replies and only just stumbled on them now.  We live in Cheadle Hulme in Cheshire/ We have 6 Texils and 4 pedigree Shetlands plus their 3 lambs, now registered. We had a still born , premature lamb from one of the Shetlands. At the time we didnt know they were pregnant.  We bought the Shetland sheep in January to train our Border Collies on. As they were only born the previous year I didnt expect them to have been running with a ram but found out afterwards that they had. Anyway we have 13 sheep and are looking for some more.  We are thinking of selling the texils as they are far too big and now dogged and tame. The Shetlands are brilliant for our working dogs and also easy to handle.Even I can catch and lift them. We are on a steep learning curve as when we bought the texils  last October had never kept sheep before. I thought they just stayed in the field and that was it. xxx We are now expert feet  Trimmers, wormers, horn cutters and shearers. Well I tell a lie, my husband sheared 2 and then we paid someone to do the rest. It took him an hour and a half to do the first and an hour the second.  The expert did all the rest in an hour.  We would like some ryelands and some more shetlands too. We have space for about 30 sheep. That way we can rest sheep when we are training the dogs in a seperate paddock.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 07:56:15 am »
hi and welcome from moray  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS