Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: butter  (Read 6743 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
butter
« on: June 18, 2011, 04:10:49 pm »
butter from goats' milk...

can I skim the cream from pasteurised goats milk to collect for butter making?

when we bottle the pasteurised milk, the cream rises to the top & blocks the neck of the bottle anyway!

please help, I really want to make my own butter, but it has to be very simple!!   ::)
Little Blue

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: butter
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 06:48:53 pm »
I don't see why you couldn't. I have never tried it with pasturised milk, but it should work the same. Goats milk butter is lovely, and very simple.

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 12:44:47 am »
Make some Little Blue and let us know how it turns out......I have a yearning to make butter too :)  Years ago, when I was visiting relations in Ireland, everyone seemed to make their own butter (and bread and scones!) and laid out the table at each house we visited.  The butter was lovely!!!

I do have an enormous butter churn.  My mum said she used to stand for hours turning the handle making butter at the farm, when she was young.  Not sure I have the time to stand for hours nowadays, unfortunately!!

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 07:50:11 pm »
I used to stand and make butter once a week when I was young it was very relaxing. I am on a mission to promote the old crafts again and get some self sufficiency and knowledge back into our communities. I think too much is now being forgotten or people just feel like they don't have time anymore but it is amazing what you can find the time for when you try.

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 09:10:07 pm »
My husband used to be given a large jam jar with cream in it to shake as a child to make butter, so you can do it on a much smaller scale. I have tried saving the cream from the top of our goat milk but I don't get enough in several days to cover the fresh strawberries let alone make butter, but it is on my 'to do' wish list.  Good luck and keep us informed.
So many ideas, not enough hours

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 09:54:53 pm »
oh... not sure I can take the pressure, you all have such high expectations!  ;)
can I just say, I'm still struggling to adapt to baking with duck eggs & different sized chicken eggs, so please be patient!
:D
Little Blue

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 07:43:31 am »
little blue   when baking weigh your eggs first and then the dry ingredients to the same weight ;)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 08:07:29 pm »
cheer Padge, I'll try that.

should I weigh them whole or broken?! 
Little Blue

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 09:21:08 pm »
The difficulty with making butter from goat's milk is getting the cream in the first place. It just doesn't rise in the same way that it does in cow's milk. To make any quantity of butter from goats you really need to run the milk through a seperator.

Having said that, give it a go, you will get a bit.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 03:25:09 pm »
do you think if you just churned the milk without separating it, you would eventually get butter anyway?

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 09:14:52 pm »
Probably, but it would be such a titchy amount that it wouldn't be worth the effort
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 09:54:26 pm »
Do you think this calculation re quantities of butter is sort of correct?

Butter has 80% butterfat in it, my goatsmilk has currently 3% butterfat (I milk record), so 1ltr milk has 30g of fat, equating to 36g of butter? So if I were to put 10ltrs of milk through a separator I would get 360g of  butter????

In reality - How much butter do people get from a litre of milk?

We are trying to develop our "disposal-of-milk-not-involving-just-down-the-sink" strategy, and I currently get 11ltrs of milk a day and the (goat)kids are now weaned.... but the cost of a separator is just a wee bit on the high side...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 11:01:39 pm »
We are trying to develop our "disposal-of-milk-not-involving-just-down-the-sink" strategy

is  :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:     ;D ;D ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 11:09:12 pm »
anke we've made some ice cream and also cheese - if that helps.....

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 11:21:09 pm »
Get a good amount of cream from Jalaini's milk, have you thought about trying to do clotted cream you don't separate till after i'll sort you some instructions.
like ellisr I am trying to promote old crafts and have just finished running a course in my local area called grandmas ways for modern days it was great!!! I make my butter from reduced supermarket cream the nearer the sell by date the better and i use a 4 pint plastic milk bottle as a churn  ;D ;D
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS