Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Signs of collie bitch being in pup  (Read 27756 times)

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
Re: Signs of collie bitch being in pup
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2011, 08:35:17 pm »
Dad is local good working collie. Hes called bob

Bitch is semi working dog, on our smallholding. Called lilly

Sandy

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2011, 05:04:44 pm »
Hi, only just got to read this, I miss having pups,  just love looking after them. I found I needed piles of newspapers, rubbish bags, lots of cut up old towles for all sorts of uses, maybe some paper towel as well, course the blunt sissors etc, I did have a clamp but must have thrown it out, that was brilliant to put on the cord until it was time to cut it, they ARE tough to cut, I hate doing it.  The first time my Labrador had pups she was frightened but the last time she was great, I have to keep very quiet and very calm otherwise she panicks (like any mum). I also took her into our back yard and told her to do a wee in between pups, they were placed on a heat pad......I slept next to our pups from the start until about 3 weeks old and I bought a baby intercom and heard every noise!!!! I was glad to get back in my bedroom but still kept a check on them re the intercom....I did this as our bitch did roll onto one and one died as well on the first litter, I did not want this to happen again. Smaller dogs are not so bad at laying on pups as Labs, she also had 11 on her first litter and 9 this time...

I kept a bucket of warm water next to me to wrinse my hands in as there is green liquid that comes out and stains your hands sort of black.  Good luck and hope to see some photos...remember, they usualy do it fine themselves, especialy if they are not disturbed and its peacful!!!!!

Oh yes, my whelping box was brilliant and not too expensive, made from marine ply and easy to put up take down and clean. One box had a rounded shelf around and joined onto another box with a little opening that could be closed off...The key was they had plenty of room and were nice and safe!!! THe chap is not making them at the mo!! I also had a fixed floor in mine as I did not want to trap little feet under it as it was very heavy!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 05:07:24 pm by Sandy »

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2011, 06:57:12 pm »
Im excited shes due in 11 days!! We've just finishing getting ready for the whelp.

I think we'll all take turns watching and helping so should be ok i'll post pics asap :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2011, 07:03:36 pm »
I'm sure you'll be fine.  Just stay calm as Sandy says, don't panic but watch out for the signs of anything going wrong.  Dark discharge before the due date should be checekd by your vet straight away, otherwise just watch out for the first contractions and don't let her strain too long.  Good luck.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2011, 10:25:37 pm »
I wish we had a HUGE place that I could have hundreds of dogs as I just love theo whole process of pups, great if you have the wright stuff and setting!! We are taking orders for our next litter and not even had the dog mated yet!!!!!!!!!

Soooooooooooo look forward to some photos and you will be fine..I played some nice music too and dimmed the lights!!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2011, 08:59:42 am »
Have just read this thread and would offer the services of my five year old grand-daughter to anyone in doubt. Feeling gently unerneath a mini long a while ago,she announced. "Yes, Granny, I think she's pregnant, her nibbles are quite big" The bitch whelped two lovely bitch puppies five weeks later!
So, that's the answer, feel her "nibbles" ;)

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2011, 12:12:09 pm »
what breed was she and how big??

Yes her nipples are rather large so hopefully week on friday we'll have a litter of pups !!!

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2011, 01:31:29 pm »
Another question do in-pup bitches become reserved and quiet sometimes reluctant to go far from home(even just when checking on stock)!?

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2011, 01:51:08 pm »
what breed was she and how big??

Yes her nipples are rather large so hopefully week on friday we'll have a litter of pups !!!

She is a miature long-haired daschund, and weighs about 12 pounds.

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2011, 02:08:30 pm »
Is that the average litter size?? Just wondering as shes so small then she wont have many pups my collie is about 20 ish kilos.

When was her last litter have you still got the pups???

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2011, 02:42:15 pm »
Yes, that is the average litter size. The pups are 6 weeks old now and are both staying ::)

Sandy

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2011, 03:28:22 pm »
Litter size usualy corresponds with the breed size, however if you have mixed breeds of a small and a big dog, you cannot tell. Our Lab had 11 pups on her first litter and 9 on her second. Large litters are a worry as the pups need to be monitered and sometimes had fed to help mum out..won't be long  ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2011, 04:32:55 pm »
Litter size depends on many factors, breed size being just one - the age of the bitch when she has her first litter has an impact. When a bitch is 4 years or older when she has her first litter, her litters will be smaller than a younger dog. With subsequent litters there is an overall decrease in litter size after 5 years of age in the majority of breeds. The first litter for any bitch is likely to be smaller. Litter size will increase with each litter generally through the third, sometimes the fourth litter. Then the number of pups decreases steadily.
Another factor is her breed, as Sandy rightly says. Smaller breeds tend to have smaller litters, and vice versa.  How many eggs the bitch releases in her season is another factor.  In Brittanys and German Wirehairs (two of my own breeds) litter size can be from 1 to 14 - and that bears no relation to the breed size.  In Cockers and Springers, my other breeds, litter size can vary form 1 to 9. 
In a recent AKC Survey (85000 litters of Labradors) there were between 5 and 10 pups and the average was 7, Cockers averaged 5, range 3 to 7 in 35000 litters, Chihuahuas 55000 litters gave numbers of 2 to 6, average 4

So as I said before first timers can disguise their pregnancy so without being scanned it is anyone's guess how many she will have. ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2011, 04:35:12 pm »
We have a smallish collie so would expect around 4ish pups.

Yes not long now shes very very quiet not even wanting to be in her front seat of our jeep(which we use on the smallholding) is this normal.

I cant wait, but we'll just have to wait and see on litter size.

Will keep you posted

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2011, 04:38:19 pm »
Do you have an exact date?  She may start in labour up to a few days early, so be prepared.  Pups born more than 6 days early are rarely viable.  Just let her take wahtever exercise she wants, but don't let her out of your sight in the last week or you may find yourself digging up a  barn to get to her and the pups. ;) ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS