Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Signs of collie bitch being in pup  (Read 27753 times)

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
Signs of collie bitch being in pup
« on: May 24, 2011, 07:37:15 pm »
Hi stumbled across this forum and find it great.

I have a border collie bitch 3 and a half years old due to whelp on the 10th june, we havent had her scanned, as just waiting to see if she has pups she was mated and everything went according to plan.

Is there any tell tale signs without taking her to get scanned to tell if she's in pup?

Thanks for any replies in advance

robert waddell

Re: Signs of collie bitch being in pup
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 07:47:00 pm »
bigger tummy developing teats(bagging up) doganjo is the resident dog expert  :dog:

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 08:05:01 pm »
Thanks

Her teats are developing, her belly is starting to grow but slowly .

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 08:58:19 pm »
I always scan my bitches - £20 to our local sheep scanner is well worth it.  Archie is 100% accurate, and I then know exactly how many pups to expect and if they don't all arrive I know the vet may be needed. 

Approximately 24 hours before whepling her temperature will drop by one degree. The average temperature of a healthy dog is 101 °F or 38 °C, however, the normal temperature of a healthy dog may range from 99 °F to 102.5 °F (37.2 °C–39.2 °C), so check it a few times for teh next week to get an average for her.  I use a digital thermometer - faster and accurate.

She is likely to not eat a few hours before, and she will start to nest, and start panting.  If she starts to push, it can go on for about an hour before any signs of a puppy but once it gets to an hour phone your vet for advice (and a little moral support)

Have you got a proper whelping box and all the necessary equipment?  You'll get a list on here http://www.phi-vestavia.com/whelplist.htm

And don't think you won't need this stuff - you JUST might so it's better to have it then not, and be able to save one or more pups.

Lastly - Alert your vet now, you might not need him/her but you might -  like I did last time.  Saw dark red gunge appearing from vulva, guessed it was a detached placents.  Called my vet, took her straight to the surgery and they were all already prepared for a Caesar and puppy reviving - an  incubator already warmed up, and a box (with surgical gloves filled with hot water) ready to pop them into when resussed.

You might be lucky and not need all of this but better to be prepared.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 09:09:40 pm »
She's comming up 6 weeks so another 3 to go!!

Whelping boxes would and exceptionally very large plastic dog bed surfice? Ive delivered lambs, piglets and claves before does this help?

The vet doesnt know yet should be inform them or are they going to charge ££££££££ like they always seem to do.(rant over) an i want to be one!!!

I wanted to scan her but didnt want to pay nearly £100 from vets to get scanned. Our local sheep scanner isnt the friendliest ie ive never heard the language that came out of his mouth :o :o

Thanks for advice, you'll probably hearing more of me with questions.

:dog: :goat: :horse: :pig: :chook: :sheep: :farmer:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 12:02:37 am »
The reason for a whelping box with roll bars is that first time mums can roll over and squash pups and they can get out of the way if there are bars.  Sandy had a particularly good whelping box last time round, she may be able to tell you where she got it if she sees this thread, or post a photo so you can see what I mean.

Your expreience delivering other animals will stand you in very good stead and you will, I am sure, recognise the signs when she is about to whelp.

Sounds like your present vet is a money grabbing machine, so stay clear and try to find another one. ::)  Just give them a call and say when your bitch is due, and that you may call if you need assistance.

I think you'll manage fine, Sandy did first time round with just a little help from me, and was an old hand next time  ;), so feel free to ask any questions you want.  The only stupid question is teh one that wasn't asked! ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 07:06:29 am »
 I know with pigs ect that they 'bag up' and a few days before or even hours before then the teats should swell large and milk to be produced. Is this the same with dogs??

Should she look really pregnant?? Like with women you can really see the baby but with her its a bit uncertain. Also you can tell with pigs easy.

Ive read that you should feed her now on puppy food for extra protein is this correct??

Thanks again

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 09:30:43 am »
No, dogs tend to get their milk down as they are whelping, so that isn't really an indication - some of them will 'bag up' early so you might be one of the advanced warning lucky ones. ;D  If this is her first litter there are two reasons she may not show yet 1) dogs hide them up under their ribs 2) she may not have many.  When she is lying down on her side resting watch closely for any movement - they should be moving around a bit.  Or you might be able to feel them.  Stand her up, stand in front of her, and gently push her side over with one hand and put the flat of your other hand at teh other side.  You should feel bumps.  In the early stages of pregnancy you can tell if they are in whelp by laying them down on their backs and gently running a finger between two teats - you should feel 'tramlines'  These are the milk threads starting to swell.  You should see a difference in her demeanour over the last 3 to 4 weeks, she may become more 'clingy' and want to be with you more than usual.  She may also be more snappy with other bitches.  Usually it's in the last couple of weeks they are more obviously pregnant.

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 12:41:06 pm »
Thanks for the advise its really helpful.

Come to think about it she was a bit snappy with a bitch we saw the other day. However not with my grandads dog who is on holiday with us, but this could be due to the fact that when my bitch was a pup she stayed with us because my grandad had a blood clot in his leg.

I shall do the feeling thing and when should 'the milk tramlines' start to show?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 04:37:54 pm »
Sorry, I wasn't clear - the tramlines are in the ealry stages of pregnancy - they won't be detectable now, they'll have softened.

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 05:06:32 pm »
Thats good because i cant find them.

There is loose skin around her belly but tight muscles?? Is this right???

She is really soppy (to be honest shes being a pain being so soft) shes clinging to her favourite human my mam)

should she be getting any different food ive read she should be on puppy food because it has more protein in ect??

Also what about excersise at the moment she knows her limits normally she'll chase the quad all day but now she stops after 5 mins??

Thanks again your a real help

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 06:43:13 pm »
Our vet only charges £18 to scan a dog. It may be worth enquiring so you can be prepared!
Good luck

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 06:48:10 pm »
Our vets are very good just expensive:

I will inform then asap

thanks

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 08:38:06 pm »
Don't let her chase around after teh quads.  let her take the exercise she needs but watch she doesn't over exercise.  Don't let her get bumped by anything(other dogs, other animals, vehicles) - that was what caused my bitch to start aborting, and prompt action saved all but one puppy.  Yes, you can put her on puppy food now, and when her pups start to wean it won't matter if she eats what they leave.

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 09:05:30 pm »
Dont worry we stop her! And yeah she just goes for a little walk for about half an hour to an hour of gentle strolling.

As her first litter is there more likely to be problems??

Also will she have less pups because its her first litter?? :dog:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS