Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Signs of collie bitch being in pup  (Read 27755 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Signs of collie bitch being in pup
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 10:26:53 pm »
I don't think there is any more likelihood of problems or of smaller litters in first whelpings.  But if you are well prepared before by reading up on signs you shlould be fine.  When she starts whelping you can come on here if you are worried and I can try to help.  Jackie is abreeder too, she might see this thread, I'll look out for her on Facebook and alert her.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 11:06:35 pm »
Annie has covered this subject very very well, the only proviso's I would add is to keep the whelping room very quiet and darken it down if you can or put a blanket over the top of the whelping box. Bitches in the wild would crawl somewhere very small and very dark and private so try to simulate that.

Try not to interfere with the whelping process unless the bitch is in trouble or a puppy is stuck. Use cooking oil and clean fingers to guide a puppy out if needed, do not pull a puppy out just guide it out when the bitch contracts. The bitches birth canal is straight up towards her tail from her vulva (this sort of shape'?') so its a downward steady pull. If you get this wrong the bitch will squeal.

Some bitches vomit when in early labour too and love to wander around the garden, make sure you keep her on a lead or you may be delivering a pup under a bush!!!!

The best thing that you can do is to sit on the floor at the side of the box and just watch. Stay calm because the bitch will feel it if you are stressed and become stressed herself.

As the pups are born cut the cord with a blunt pair of scissors (sharp scissors allow for bleeding) then pass it straight back to mum to clean and then put the pup to a teat. The puppy sucking will encourage more contractions for the next pup.
 The bitch will eat the afterbirths but only allow 3 at the most or she will get scours the next day.
As each pup is born check for deformities, little finger check the roof of its mouth for cleft pallet, make sure tail and anus is there. check legs etc.
If more than 2 hours go by in between pups and you know theres more to come then there is a problem and get her to the vet. After the bitch starts to whelp its easier to feel the pups so you will know if she has more tucked up in there.
Any birth discharge shouldnt smell nasty it should smell sort of like rusty nails (iron) if it smell snasty again you have problems, maybe a dead pup.

Ok now the the awful things; if a pup is deformed dont try to revive it, its not fair on the pup and mum may reject it anyway.
To revive a pup; hold it in your hand under its tummy with your first 2 fingers either side of its head and swing your whole arm like a pendulum, wide deep swings. Do this 3 times then check for breathing, then if needed put the pups muzzle into your mouth and breath out steadily. If still not breathing lay pup on its back and tap its chest quite hard and fast. Put some brandy on its tongue and encourage it to go down its throat.
 By now its muzzle and tongue will be blue. Repeat breathing and tapping for 5 mins.
If no response the pup has gone and you did your best.

The next day you can weight each pup and start keeping notes about their individual progress.

Good luck and most whelpings go just fine :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 11:23:07 pm by Jackie »

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 11:10:37 pm »
Oh I didnt say but if the cord bleeds use iodine or styptic pencil or failing anything else cigarette ash works, if it continues to bleed for more than 5 or 6 mins you need a vet pronto!

Allow the bitch to dig all she wants as its a pain relief for her, you can if needed give her half a plain 500mg paracetamol.

If the bitch starts to shiver and shake within 24 hours of the birth you need a calcium injection so alert your vet to come out. On no account take the bitch or pups to the vets at all.

I hope this helps :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 11:12:47 pm by Jackie »

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 06:54:40 am »
Thanks jackie and annie its been a big help.

Will the umbilibal cord not just snap like with livestock??

And i will keep you informed on progress and put some pics up later!

:farmer:

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 07:05:18 am »
No it doesnt snap, its very tough but please dont let the bitch chew it off as that way the pups can get umbilical hernias :)

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 08:04:41 am »
Thanks

we are going to let her whelp in the kitchen is this ok??? Theres only one other dog a lazy cavalier :D the house is quiet even with 5 of us do you think its ok her whelping here??

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 12:16:20 pm »
Thanks

we are going to let her whelp in the kitchen is this ok??? Theres only one other dog a lazy cavalier :D the house is quiet even with 5 of us do you think its ok her whelping here??
If you have nowhere else and it is a very quiet corner and perhaps  something to partition it off then fine - as Jackie says maybe a blanket or towel over the area.  Don't let the other dog ANYWHERE near her - bitches have been known to kill and eat pups even with their bestest dog friend there.  I'd keep it out of the kitchen from when she starts to whelp till the pups are at least a couple of days old.   I use plastic clips on the cords - the kind you use for resealing bags.  Use newspapers in her bedd when she starts to nest - easier to get rid of and she won't harm herself if she ingests any.  Also get her used to being in that bed now, with the partitions in place.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 12:47:12 pm »
Thats what weve done and he wont mind spending a few nights on the sofa  ;D ;D ;D

:farmer:

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 12:57:05 pm »
My vet only charged under £20 for the scan but would not commit to how many pups were there.  I had everything organised and all my equipment close to hand.  Took temperature as described by Annie so new she was due next day.  She started in labour on Easter Sunday but after two out of hours trips to the vet it was apparent that there was a problem.   Emergency caesarian revealed one pup lying across the entrance to the birth canal.  5 healthy pups delivered and mum and pups doing fine, Now 4 weeks old.  Cost of emergency caesarian on Easter Sunday £853.   Ouch!!!

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 01:05:39 pm »
Just a question but i have been told that even if the bitch is insured then the cost of a cesarian is not covered??

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 01:10:31 pm »
Any pet insurance I have had was with exclusions on any treatment or procedure connected with breeding. 

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 01:24:19 pm »
What type dog have you got??

Same with our insurance.

We are going to partition part of the kitchen corner off for her to whelp in.

How do i put pic up??

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 01:39:31 pm »
Just a question but i have been told that even if the bitch is insured then the cost of a cesarian is not covered??
Check your insurance -it might be.  Hopefully you won't need it.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 01:42:56 pm »
What type dog have you got??

Same with our insurance.

We are going to partition part of the kitchen corner off for her to whelp in.

How do i put pic up??
When you click reply there is a link called additional options at teh bottom left, click on that and you get a box with the word choose alongside - click on choose and it opens your picture folder - make sure you have reduced the size of the photo to under 521kb (I save them with a different name on my desktop so they are easier to find, and that keeps the original size on my pc).  Then click post

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2011, 07:52:56 pm »
I'm so excited! It's more exciting than giving birth yourself and a damned sight less painful.

What's the bitch called? And who's the daddy?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS