Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: improving grass  (Read 5609 times)

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
improving grass
« on: May 23, 2011, 10:43:02 pm »
Hi all, how do I improve grazing, it's a bit hilly and had a lot of moss after lots of rainfall. I've had a whizz round with a harrow as much as poss on the back of the quad, but as I say it's hilly.
Would topping help and if so why?

Thanks.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: improving grass
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 01:56:43 am »
Hi.  What is wrong with your grass apart from the moss?  Is it long term pasture or re-seeded?  Is it full of nettles and thistles?  Is it undergrazed?  If so, then topping will help, or cropping part of it as hay if it's that long. We usually top a bit later when the grass seed heads are trying to form; the purpose is to enable plenty of fresh growth and to prevent the plants from seeding (the new growth is more nutritious). Also by topping, stronger growing grasses are held back to let some of the tastier ones compete.  We harrow when the grass is short to get out moss although it's not that effective.  You could also roll it to smooth out lumps and bumps and mole hills, and to tiller the grass (bend it to make it produce more stems).  Other things would depend on just what is wrong with it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 01:06:42 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 09:21:15 pm »
If it is hilly and you are struggling with the harrow, I would say you will have problems with a topper? It is heavier and needs a tractor?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 09:31:00 pm »
The first thing i would do is take soil samples and send away for analysis PH , P , K are maybe all low :farmer: :wave:

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 05:35:34 pm »
Thanks for the advice, the land is mostly hilly so hard to top, fertilise etc, some of it is more useable and could be cut for hay but getting a bailer through the gate would be a bu**er.
Why aren't things ever straightforward.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 09:37:53 pm »
I have the same problem and the top steep bits I just have to get at it with a scythe.

Next year we might get some grazing pigs to deal with the top part.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

waterhouse

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 12:32:06 am »
Hi all, how do I improve grazing, it's a bit hilly and had a lot of moss after lots of rainfall.
Rain, what's that?  We had an inch yesterday but only half an inch in the previous three months.  We have two re-seeded paddocks without a blade of grass.  Just ordered £900 of haylage cos there ain't going to be any hay around here.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 09:36:31 am »
We have very steep fields too. We top using a Quad-X self-powered mower towed behind our quad bike. Similarly we have a small harrow we tow behind the bike too, and a ground-driven spinner that spreads lime/grass seed.

tobytoby

• Joined May 2011
  • north ayrshire
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 05:42:57 pm »
I too have alot of buttercups, over about 6 acres on a damp field. I don't have a tractor to spread lime but is there any options by using a quad, hand spread or any other means? What would a neighbour farmer likely to charge to spread lime?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 06:45:47 pm »
ground driven spreader

This is the sort of thing we use - ours was very second-hand  :D We sew seed with it and also spread lime. This is the company from whom we bought the mower/topper we tow behind the quad too.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS