Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pasture help needed please?!  (Read 18264 times)

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
Re: Pasture help needed please?!
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 08:12:32 pm »
should avoid using sprays if possible, its a cop out.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 09:53:17 pm »
just looked it up and grazon 90 does need a licence to use

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 10:00:12 pm »
crop services in fife sell it.

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 11:49:13 am »
should avoid using sprays if possible, its a cop out.

Is there an alternative for getting rid of buttercups and docks?

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 04:51:21 pm »
Just a wee update on Grazon 90. I spoke to my local Feed Merchants who supply me and many others with this product about the licensing……In mid 1990 the law was reviewed and they drew a line that anyone born before 31 December 1964 doesn't require a certificate of competence to spray with the product……Anyone born after this date does require a certificate of competence or be supervised by someone that does hold a certificate..Have to say they were really informative and phoned all the appropriate company's to confirm the information was correct and today I received the Grazon handbook confirming all the above information.

What they did say was that they are legally able to sell to anyone over the age of 16 and it was for the purchaser to then take responsibility spraying….Incidentally they did say how popular the sales of Grazon 90 were and most folk indifferent of age didn't have a licence but then who checks, but then I knew that.

Only posting this info back  so others like me can understand the pros and cons and make up their own minds. I know it's a very personal choice using weed control and I understand we all have our own ways but then that's where choice comes in. I will continue to use it I'm now legal by a year  ;D ;D

Regarding paddock care I would be interested to know what technique's people use to maintain it without using a product like Grazon 90 so that it provides good quality grazing, and a feed crop?…..Just for reference I do weed the veg plot and garden by hand ;D

Dave

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 06:46:40 pm »

Cheers Dave, that clears thing up, you would think farm suppliers would get themselved clued up, be up there tommorrow, lost out last year due to being refused and the docks and thistles have made the usual inroads, do you know of a weedkiller specific to ragwort?

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 07:46:13 pm »
No Problem Coley I was somewhat puzzled myself. Carrs billington my local farm merchant were initially realy concerned they had over looked the issues around selling the product until they got the big boss involved along with the Grazon manufactures, so not just us ay :)..... Ragworts a difficult one unless you keep lifestock off for a few months. Grazon will knock them back and a good percentage will not recover and die.......However during this process according to the information Ive read over the years and my own experiences the dying plant becomes palatable to stock for a good few weeks. Prior to moving here we had enough land to do this safely on the occasions we had ragwort growing as we were able to rest the area treated for several months, not that it requires that time.....We only had to do this for the first 3-4 years after that we were ragwort free for 16 years :)

The same dose will treat the ragwort (60ml per 10 litres water).......No doubt there will be specific weedkillers that deal with ragwort but Ive no idea what they are sorry about that.
Anyhow good luck with the weeds and stuff ;)

Dave

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 10:47:39 pm »
to add a wee something else to this discussion, i asked about grazon 90 a while back and it has loads and loads of b-a-a-a-d stuff in it :(  look for the thread and see what you think.

we have found that putting the sheep on the land makes a huge difference and our once really awful field is about 95% better since the sheep grazed it.

we are just about to move them to their next field to clean it up and move the horses up to their current field - much more organic me thinks :)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2011, 11:53:45 am »
Egglady ... Do your sheep eat dock and buttercups or are they bad for them as they are for horses?

Juno

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011, 01:33:21 pm »
sheep are considered to be excellent companion grazers for ponies

I am hopefully going to lime this autumn

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2011, 06:43:26 pm »
No Problem Coley I was somewhat puzzled myself. Carrs billington my local farm merchant were initially realy concerned they had over looked the issues around selling the product until they got the big boss involved along with the Grazon manufactures, so not just us ay :)..... Ragworts a difficult one unless you keep lifestock off for a few months. Grazon will knock them back and a good percentage will not recover and die.......However during this process according to the information Ive read over the years and my own experiences the dying plant becomes palatable to stock for a good few weeks. Prior to moving here we had enough land to do this safely on the occasions we had ragwort growing as we were able to rest the area treated for several months, not that it requires that time.....We only had to do this for the first 3-4 years after that we were ragwort free for 16 years :)

The same dose will treat the ragwort (60ml per 10 litres water).......No doubt there will be specific weedkillers that deal with ragwort but Ive no idea what they are sorry about that.
Anyhow good luck with the weeds and stuff ;)

Dave
Aye Dave, been up to get some and the lady behind the counter still says no, when I explained she got all confused and said I would have to discuss it with the manager who wont be back till Tuesday (this is greens agriculture in Morpeth) will try Carrs tommorrow, which branch do you use? as I can then refer them to it if I get the same response :)

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2011, 07:16:17 pm »
Coley that's mad ay !….. My local Carrs Billington is Milnathort (Scotland) if you have any problems get them to call Donna or her Boss forget his name at my branch, both of them are very clued up on Grazon 90 especially since my visit…..Let me know how you get on I can easily mail you one if you like ;D

Dave

waterhouse

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2011, 12:28:03 am »
Grazon is persistent so if you have horses in a field which has been treated don't use their manure as fertiliser for garden produce cos it carries on killing.  OK to put the manure back on the pasture but worrying all the same

It's on the label after a lot of allotment holders had problems.  See Warnings under the Directions for Use on http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLiteratureDAS/dh_0421/0901b8038042127e.pdf?filepath=/uk/pdfs/noreg/011-01510.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2011, 12:55:13 pm »
That's very interesting and helpful, waterhouse.  We had a turnip crop fail followed by a disappointing arable silage crop; the grassy elements grew ok but the peas and other non-grass elements were very poor.  Of course we had fertilised the field using our own farmyard manure - and the stock are fed all winter on our own hay and silage, made from fields some of which could well have been treated for nettles and docks.

So we'll have to have a think about how we manage our FYM in future.  Sadly we've just spread the last of last winter's muck on the field we are about to plough for turnips and cabbages...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterhouse

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2011, 08:13:39 pm »
I'd suggested that we use Grazon ourselves only the other night to OH who vetoed it in triplicate.  OH has multiple qualifications as a botanist, ecologist, landscape architect and horse person. I'm just the workforce.

We re-seeded two paddocks in the spring but the monsoon failed and not a blade of grass to be seen.  Another paddock is 50% creeping buttercup - hence my proposal - but realistically that with that much weed cover any form of treatment would require re-seeding anyway.  We put lots of lime on last autumn to rectify the acid balance as well.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS