Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bumpy pasture  (Read 4827 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
bumpy pasture
« on: April 27, 2011, 04:34:30 pm »
hi

posting for a friend as i don't have any pasture yet  :)

my friend has 1acre of very lumpy bumpy (from tractor tyres etc) pasture that isn't in good condition at all, it is full of weeds and very hard to walk on due to it being so uneven, what should there plan of attack be to get it vaguely flat and grasslike again???

long term they want to keep a couple of sheep on it to keep the grass down but currently its a bit too out of control.

any suggestions welcome

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: bumpy pasture
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 07:37:28 pm »

Plough and harrow, but an acre wouldnt justify buying the gear needed, get some quotes from local contractors?

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 08:34:07 pm »
Put some pigs on it to churn it up, eat the weeds and add some fertiliser to the soil - once they're gone get on it with a roller and flatten it out. Providing you can stay off it til the grass regrows it should be great for grazing sheep  ;)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 09:37:37 pm »
see thats what i suggested the nice people who's land it is turned there nose up at piggies

oh and couldn't bring themselves to have them slaughtered anyway

I honestly believe they should ive me the land  ;D ;D ;D but as there a fair distance away i'll just pass on the advice about plowing and harrowing...

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 08:49:23 am »

Put some pigs on it to churn it up
With the added advantage the smell will keep trespassers well away ;D

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 03:02:06 pm »
our similar sounding land which has had pigs on it is going to need some sort of flattening before it is safe to walk on.  But has definately been dug over.  Our best clearers have been the sheep (but won't touch nettles! or flatten bumps) and chickens.  Chickens are brilliant for fairly small areas we grew super beans on the patch after they had been moved.  But I understand their poo is a bit too potent to plant on straight away (I did take the top layer off) and they do smell worse than pigs.  We got a contractor in to plough/flatten nearly 2 acres of the plot but still not ideal cos tractor left big drop offs round the edge.  Having said that our soil is clay and varies between being concrete and being almost liquid with very little in between.  Sorry not particularly helpful, but do think you may well still need to flatten after pigs.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 04:24:17 pm »
Reseeding for a good result is quite difficult so I'd get good local advice. Timing is crucial to get a good sward. Lots of seed mixes available - they should choose one with white clover, medium and small leaved and perhaps with herbs as well. The Grass Seed Store has good mixes but there are lots of others.

Bluebell

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 06:41:10 pm »
We have a similar problem and are thinking of putting a couple of pigs or so on it.  Any suggestions as to the best breed of pig to do a good churning job ???
Thanks
 ???

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 06:52:17 pm »
Any pigs will churn it up nicely for you (except maybe Kune Kunes) so choose whichever breed you fancy  ;)
Lop eared breeds (Large Black, GOS, Saddleback etc) are generally more docile than the prick eared breeds (Tamworths, Berkshire, Middle white) so are usually recommended for new keepers.
HTH
Karen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS