Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dog poo wormery - quite impressed  (Read 39156 times)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Re: Dog poo wormery - quite impressed
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2011, 01:32:32 pm »
Quite glad it's not just me, then. I put loads of worms in mine, with some nice soil to get them going, and have added some grass cuttings too. I'm surprised and disappointed that nothing has happened. Not sure what to do now.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2011, 01:38:16 pm »
Had a google of the "green cone" after your post - It does say 30 day money back guarantee with free returns - perhaps you could arrange for them to collect it  ;D ;D ;D

To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2011, 02:14:03 pm »
Quite glad it's not just me, then. I put loads of worms in mine, with some nice soil to get them going, and have added some grass cuttings too. I'm surprised and disappointed that nothing has happened. Not sure what to do now.

No worms are needed for ours 'The household food waste is converted into water, carbon dioxide and small amount of residue that will only need to be removed every few years in a well operating Green Cone. In a healthy working Cone the food waste will be covered in a blue/grey fur, this is the bacteria doing it's work'.
 Well its never worked and its in full sun all day long (in the south) so may be needs to be used in OZ  ::)

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2011, 02:14:51 pm »
Oh Yeh if only ! :)
Had a google of the "green cone" after your post - It does say 30 day money back guarantee with free returns - perhaps you could arrange for them to collect it  ;D ;D ;D

nicandem

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Berkeley, Glos
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2011, 08:06:43 pm »
well, a few more months have passed.... has anyone had success with DIY or am I off to buy one? :-\

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2011, 08:20:26 pm »
Well........ I can't say yet if it is working, but I have one large great dane who eats a couple of lbs of meat a day plus extras.  And I have two large dustbins with holes drilled in the bottom. 

I can't remember when I first posted but the first bin had a kilo of those big worms and as yet it is not full, and there has been no smell from it, so something must have happened as I am pretty sure she has "done" more than a bin full if you know what I mean 

My intention was to fill one, leave it whilst the other was filled then check the situation of bin one, so I can't be certain what is happening yet. 

I had the bins already so only cost so far was the worms.  I know they were alive in the summer as you could regularly see worm egg sacs on the sides of the bin.  At first I though they were some sort of interloper bug of some sort till I suddenly realized what they were (or as least think they were)

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2011, 08:33:21 pm »
Same as dark brown eggs. Something is happening. No smell but I can't really find any worms if I poke about..... but I don't do that too much!!!!

But it's turning dark and crumbly.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2011, 08:25:12 am »
In April I will be living on my holding with fifteen dogs, sizes ranging from tiny Yorkies up to a Deerhound. I aim to have a separate compost bin for dogg poo + the contents of my composting lav. (or what was once known as a "bucket and chuck it ;D" This will, once sweet smelling will be spread on empty paddocks and left to do it's work.
I worm my dogs using garlic in their diet and very rarely use Drontal or similar.
The old tyre method sounds good, not least because it will be free and I will put a load of my worms from my wormery in plus damp straw, a bit of top-soil and any paper that I come across., in layers. Does this sound about right?

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2011, 09:11:52 am »
I remember looking at these a while ago, at that point the consensus I saw was that wormed dog poo would kill your worms  ::)  And that the bucket/flush it system needed so much extra work - from initial digging to hardcore/gravel base - and didn't often work well.

However, I feel bad having the majority of my landfill bin being little bags of poo  :o

With the tyre stacks, how do you remove the "worm wee" and/or compost?

Do you think the products would be safe on e.g. fruit trees/vines (as opposed to say carrots....)?

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2011, 09:42:38 am »
I don't worm any of my stock unless I think it neeeds it. 

Staring dry coat, eating a lot but still looking thin, glittery bright eyes, and most obvious of all a dog dragging its bum along ground - but normally I will have spotted any problem long before that.  My dog probably gets wormed once every couple of years, but hasn't needed it since bin was started, so we will have to see. 

Perhaps if I can remember I won't add poo for a few weeks after worming.

audianne

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2011, 03:24:39 pm »
Very interesting, I had to say the title caught my eye and to be honest I've never heard of one of these before. They sound great and I'd be interested in being able to recycle Bruno's large deposits! I'll look into it when I get a spare moment. :dog:

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2011, 01:34:57 am »
I've just procured a wheelie bin to try this with, any chance of a picture of the inside or more detailed info as to where the vent holes are and the shelves etc?

Mandy

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2012, 05:23:24 pm »
Prior to getting our garden landscaped and built for me as a disabled gardener , we tried three things to get rid of dog muck from one dog pooping for the UK ( winner since 1999 )

First when I was able , I would dig a hole three foot by three foot by four foot deep using a long handled spade and a vacuum cleaner , each day  the hole was " fed ". After seven months or so the hole was within 500 mm of the top and was filled in .. ( it's no fun forgetting where a filled hole is and walking on it when its been raining for a few weeks )  .
As the available area for these holes was filled up I decided on a worm base digester .... got a big swing top kitchen bin cut the botton out with an angle grinder and set it in a get big hole that had 1.2 tonnes of 15 mm clean stone in it .

Result ground water from up the hill runs down and fills the hole as well as  drowns all the worms . extra result .. we stopped  using it , it turned green and grew a 15 mm thick crop of maggots ..

Third method was to use a big local authority supplied Dalek composter bin above ground on a 150 mm bed of sharp sand ,
It has taken Merle our gangly yoof sheepdog / golden retriever cross 10 months to fill it to a depth of 250 mm ..that a heap of stuff I can tell you.

When the contractors arrived to start the landscaping I got them to roll the Dalek off the mound of supposedly composting poop , shoved the long handled spade in it and couldn't find a worm in sight .....  realised dog worming tablets  don't just kill tape and thread worms .

The labourer of the contractor was tasked with removing the sunken swing bin .. On opening it and finding the green slime full of maggots  he vomited his toe nails up ,  then in a daze went and sat down wind to get a second helping and carried on hooping up. ;D ;D

So now instead of any sort of composting bin I have a dog loo which gets washed through every sunday and recharged with  50 ml of  activtor ( caravan blue loo turd digester liquid .

Here are a few pictures for any one interested in solving their dog muck prob ..it drains away into  a 100 mm preforated land drain so there are no smells and no probs with surface water anymore .

The loo is enclosed in the small engineering brick tower where the green lid is  and is well above ground ..it is also very easy for me to access it & clean up the dog muck as there is no bending for me .
 In front of the tower is a 1.5 x 2.5 b mtr pit filled with 300 mm of 10 mm clean crushed pink granite chips . ( all the brick work is set on a 300 mm concrete foundation )

Merle has been trained by us to go to his loo for a peep or a poo . If it gets dry and smells of urine we simply hose the chippings down for a minute using a sprayer head on the hose pipe and put half a watering can  of two caps of the blue loo digester concentrate and 5 litres of water over it after the hose down ( it smells of cherry wood sawdust )

For the nosey ones ...that raised bed to the right is for our asparagus bed , it should run for over 20 years and will hold over 30 crowns if we are lucky ( 14 seeds sown 12 germinated . They are now 7 inches tall and all are desparate for the land scapers to fill the bed with alternative layers of well rotted horse muck , sharp sand and soil , five full layer sets  in total .

Well we have been using the  chemical flush out jobby in the tower for six months heres what we have found out.so far.

Merle cound win medals crapping for GB .
After putting two buckets of water through the weks " Soup " the need forn another two is there so we now flush with four buckets of water before adding the new  decomposing liquids.

Everytime we add his dumps to the  bin we use a bamboo stick to stir the pot to help break down already part activated turds ..    don't get hold of the wrong end of the stick . To help stop this  I've now put a white plastic handle on the cane .

Every thing works well though we have has a few amusing finds .. at some time he has eaten some baby wipes .. They came out  un changed except for colour , hevens where they came from maybe a sneaky snaffle as he pases by peoples Friday bin bags on the daily school trip .

A surgical rubber clove also goes through un altered except for coulut .. kiddies small plastic toys  cone through  in bit , silver paper is in micro dot form , long grass  is interesting &  so are occasional socks that he obtains from the sock lady for we haven't discover any orphans so far .

What we have to do before the Sunday flush out is use the stick ( holding the correct end ) and fish through the lumpy soup to see if there are any such  unbroken down items inthe pot , remove if any are found then do the four bucket flush and recharge of digester fluid. At the end of every month I use the long handled poop scoop ( made to fit into the botton of the pot ) to lift out any stones we or the dog has put in the pot .

At first my lass balked at stirring the **it  to agitate the decomposing turds but now is not bothered as the pot does not smell as much  as she thought it would .

We have a hose pipe adjacent to the raised bed digester so crrying water is not an issue  nor is filling the bucket at waist height and just simply tipping it in the  disester when flushing  it out..

We have had lots and lots of rain  over the last two months plus a couple of light frosts . there is no evidence of the system backing up due to the insertion of the perforated land drain pipe  , which is over 25 mtrs long three six foot down in an 18 inch wide trench on a bed of 300 mm  x 20 mm clean crushed stone with a 100 mm covering of 10 mm clean crushed stone .

The stones in the actual dog loo  arwa are taking on a nice green algae tinge and are spray washed every day for a few seconds where he's been for a nuber 1 or number 2 .

merle has now been trained to go clean dog on his own  and come back to the door , he also seems to prefer going there to be clean without being sent if he is out with us in the garden .. so far he's not cockong his leg at every thing in the garden  onor dumping outside his loo area.

When it's not raining we stil take him out the bungalow on a short lead to go to the loo several times a day just to keep the reinforcement inhis head.

How have you all got on with your dog crap disposal ideas ?
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2012, 05:46:31 pm »
As I said - started mine just over 6 mths ago, and so far bin is not yet full, so I must presume something is happening, as I am certain my Great Dane does more than that in 6 mths.  I have another bin to go onto when first is full.

I shall do same as before - few drainage holes in bottom, bit of brashy wood branches, some earth, a kilo of those big worms and lot and lots of dog poo  Hopefully by time second one is full first one will be ready to be emptied.  I shall put it onto the big barnyard muck tump for further rotting and mixing.

Chucklebun

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2012, 03:34:28 pm »
Well, having pondered this for some time now, I finally went for it and bought a cheapo bin from a DIY shop. Drilled holes in the bottom to let out the liquid (no tap, partly because I'm cheap and partly because I'm not too keen on the idea of watering things with 'poo juice').

Filled the bottom with wodged up chicken wire, then a layer of horticultural fleeca, then a layer of damp cardboard.

On top of that I chucked in the contents of my largely unsuccessful wormery: three giant worms, a lot of worm eggs and some crushed eggshell

On top of that 100 + baby worms from my very successful compost heap, plus a few trowels full of compost to make them feel at home.

On top of that a few freshly laid turds from my obliging Shepherd-like hound.

Watered gently to encourage some worm action at the top, now to see what happens. I'm not sure I should be so keen to go and poke the poo...  ::)

Here's to cutting down on all those nasty poo-bombs that get chucked in the bin. Anyone had any success with using degradable poo bags in a poo bin? If so we can even chuck in what he does on a walk as well as any garden poo.

Wish me luck! C x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS