Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dog poo wormery - quite impressed  (Read 39159 times)

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
Re: Dog poo wormery - quite impressed
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2011, 09:53:59 pm »
You can make a compost bin for dog poo with old tyres which are free!

Put the mesh across the first or second one and build a tower about five high. Put shredded paper inside the tyres before you add them to the tower and it works a treat. Been doing it for years.

Also, because we know what our dogs eat, we add small amounts to the veg patch too......

Ian

What size mesh do you use, and what do you put in at first to get the worms feeling happy.  Many thanks  Sue

Chicken wire with supports to stop it sagging. We just chuck the poo in. It's almost impossible to keep worms out  :)

Ian
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 09:55:36 pm by knightquest »
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2011, 11:00:43 am »
What size mesh do you use, and what do you put in at first to get the worms feeling happy.  Many thanks  Sue

I put reconstituted coir in but for the first lot I just put in some home made mulch and dampened shredded paper.

They were fine with that.

ou can make a compost bin for dog poo with old tyres which are free!

Put the mesh across the first or second one and build a tower about five high. Put shredded paper inside the tyres before you add them to the tower and it works a treat. Been doing it for years.

Knightquest - DOH!!!!! and slap my forehead.  :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

Such a cheap, simple solution. I love it

« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 11:36:34 am by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2011, 11:43:42 am »
 :o :o :o :o

Just moved worms from old dog poo wormery to new one and they were GIGANORMOUS!!!!

I'm not joking - as fat as my little finger (and I'm not small!! - see Ticker below  :D :D)

Jeez - and I don't particularly like worms  :( (but DH likes them even less) but I do have huge respect for them so....... we manage  ;)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2011, 11:45:38 am »
Also, because we know what our dogs eat, we add small amounts to the veg patch too......

Knightquest - what do your dogs eat?? Does that make a difference?

We feed ours Purina chicken and rice adult and the odd gravy pan to lick after sunday lunch.

Please advise - VERY interested.....

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2011, 02:28:16 pm »

We feed ours Purina chicken and rice adult and the odd gravy pan to lick after sunday lunch.

We feed raw food. Lamb, chicken, tripe etc and assorted raw bones from chickens, sheep and pigs.

My point was more to do with dogs that scavenge but there are certain brands of food that I wouldn't put near to our food chain. Don't know if I'm allowed to mention the name BAKERS but hey ho, I did it anyway  :D

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2011, 02:47:22 pm »

We feed raw food. Lamb, chicken, tripe etc and assorted raw bones from chickens, sheep and pigs.

My point was more to do with dogs that scavenge but there are certain brands of food that I wouldn't put near to our food chain. Don't know if I'm allowed to mention the name BAKERS but hey ho, I did it anyway  :D

Ian
I'll mention it again - so they can sue us both!  I wouldn't touch it, and never recommend it to my puppy buyers. Bakers is so full of e numbers it's real name is 'EEEEES'
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2011, 03:06:43 pm »
Yes - Bakers is disgusting. It stinks.

I expect Purina's not much better but we like it.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2011, 03:21:34 pm »
I use Breeder Pack - made by Purina but not advertised.  My dogs seem to do well on it.  Happy, healthy, shiny coats etcetc
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2011, 05:02:57 pm »
I've just bought two medium sized kitchen bins for £20. I'm going to have one on the go and one composting. Will drill holes in them and start composting tomorrow! I've never been so excited about the prospect of collecting dog poo.....

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2011, 05:16:29 pm »
That's great Dizzy.

I feel my expensive worm composter is justified (almost  ::)) if it gives other people the enthusiasm to try cheaper alternatives.

Good on yer chick  :chook:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2011, 05:43:46 pm »
what an excellent thread. positive, uplifting and usefull. and all about doggy doo. great stuff tas'ers

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2011, 05:49:54 pm »
I totally agree - a great thread, wouldn't be trying it if Susiequeue hadn't thought to mention it - brilliant.  :)

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2011, 11:52:32 pm »
the degradable poop bags still take a couple of years to break down in sunlight, putting them in bins doesn't work!!!

Sainsbury's do some compostable bag liners for their kitchen compost bin would these break down quicker?

If you are looking for worms try these www.willyworms.co.uk they do green ones lol
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2011, 07:19:21 am »
Ha - I love the green worms - they look like theyve been fed on pesto sauce for their whole lives  ;D ;D ;D

I got dendrobenas for the dog poo wormery and just normal brandling (fetida) worms for he kitchen wormery.

Looks like the ones on the website above are cheaper than the ones I got from Earth Essentials.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2011, 10:29:45 am »
With 3 dogs I am all for giving this a go  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS