Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dog poo wormery - quite impressed  (Read 39106 times)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: Dog poo wormery - quite impressed
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2011, 10:36:34 am »
OK - I have an ordinary dustbin with clips for the lid.  I have put some brashy hedge trimmings in the bottom and added some dog poo (plenty available from resident Great dane) 

Should I drill holes in the bin, and if so where?
Bottom
Sides
All of the above?

Shall I put in a shovel full of mole hill soil to get them started?

Have ordered I kilo (£20 inc p&p) from http://www.wagglerworms.co.uk/

Feeling quite excited   ::) - how sad is that  ;D

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2011, 12:32:11 pm »
I've just de-pooped the lawn for mowing, put a huge smelly pile of dog poo into my converted kitchen bin. I've drilled holes in the bottom and sides, put soil with worms in the bottom and chucked the poo on top. I might add some vegetation and maybe some more soil. Susiequeue, how long does it take to break down? I'm going to fill one bin then move onto the second bin while the first composts.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2011, 05:04:04 pm »
Once they get going I think they take about six weeks to break it all down but it depends very much on the worms, their environment, temperature, ambience etc etc etc.

But once they get going then a little poo added frequently will probably keep abreast

If you make holes in the bin - make sure that are small enough so the worms don't escape.

You need a mechanism of draining the worm wee and a mechanism for removing the composted poo.

The engineering's quite elegant
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2011, 09:54:34 pm »
Just been googling. This one is £97 http://www.earth-essentials.co.uk/prod_details_dogwormery.htm   Very expensive, so I'm going to make one today out of an old barrel. I've got some worms on the go which were meant to go into my compost bins but I haven't put them in because I'm considering relocating the compost bins. Maybe I should just dedicate one of the compost bins to dog poo? I suppose that like compost you should have one being added to and one 'cooking'?

For some reasons using composted dog or cat muck as a manure for food crops is not advised ... perhaps it's to do with the pathogens or worms they can pass on to humans .

I have a big Dalek council supplied compost bin 4 foot base by 4 foot high , with about a foot of dog muck ( years worth ) in it and another sunken tip top 600 mm tall pedal bin with the bottom cut out , it is set in the garden  ( nice job for the landscape team to sort out in a few days time  :D )

I purchased one of the dog muck chemical break down " dog loo " tubs from Aldi a few weeks ago for about £8  .
It uses some bio friendly stuff and every time the pot gets full of lumps add a bucket of water to flush out the juices/soup and add another measure of decomposer to recharge it .

When the landscapers arrive in the next few days  one of their first jobs is to set this muck disposal tub  in a brick tower to raise it off the floor to a height I can easily work with , then construct  in a contained brick wall (  6 x 10 foot ) an adjacent dog dump / pee area on 300 mm or 400 mm of 10 mm granite chips  ( I'll bung up some pictures of everything if I remember .

The washed out fluid/ soup from the tub is supposed to be very much worm friendly so I hope to produce worms in the immediate area of the tub and have them start working their way out from it into the rest of the garden over the next 20 yrs or so.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2011, 06:01:09 pm »
Dog poo soup. Mmmmm!

Mine is now up and running, I flung a load of guinea pig poo and manky sawdust in it too, and add the odd handfull of cut grass as I'm concerned about the worms' diet! I'm very pleased that such an unpleasant by-product can be put to good use.

Sandy

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2011, 10:22:05 pm »
Mmmmmmmmmmm, I cannot manage any more bags on our walks as otherwise I would also collect horse poo!!!! Dog poo is cirrently being collected in bags as the last lot pluss loads of rain, blocked the toilet in our garage..............not nce!!

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2011, 12:11:39 am »
You can make a compost bin for dog poo with old tyres which are free!

Put the mesh across the first or second one and build a tower about five high. Put shredded paper inside the tyres before you add them to the tower and it works a treat. Been doing it for years.

Also, because we know what our dogs eat, we add small amounts to the veg patch too......

Ian
It's not so much you thinking you know what your dogs eat it is the worms eggs in their feces gained from eating fleas , insects , cat muck, fox poop,  bird muck etc etc. in your garden or whilst out on walks.

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2011, 09:05:17 am »
I know what my dogs eat which is precisely why I wouldn't use the compost on my veggies! Despite being regularly wormed they eat anything and everything. Revolting creatures.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2011, 12:47:57 pm »
I know what my dogs eat which is precisely why I wouldn't use the compost on my veggies! Despite being regularly wormed they eat anything and everything. Revolting creatures.

It is also to do with the pathogens likely contained in the dog & cat poop such as toxicara ( sp ) and such things like  that are harmful to humans being because it still active when in the soil for many many years , infecting the produce & leaving the gardener open to getting infected via ingress through their skin or injestion of the vegetables or from pathogens under finger nails when bitine their nails . etc. etc.

Apparently the residual content of pet worming medications in the poo will also have a negative  effect on the garden creepies & crawlies for quite some time.

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2011, 09:27:41 pm »
Excellent and interesting advice, Plantoid. My first little bin is full, so I'm going to change over to the second bin. Will need to buy more worms, though. Tsk.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2011, 10:27:32 pm »
Prior to getting our garden landscaped and built for me as a disabled gardener , we tried three things to get rid of dog muck from one dog pooping for the UK ( winner since 1999 )

First when I was able , I would dig a hole three foot by three foot by four foot deep using a long handled spade and a vacuum cleaner , each day  the hole was " fed ". After seven months or so the hole was within 500 mm of the top and was filled in .. ( it's no fun forgetting where a filled hole is and walking on it when its been raining for a few weeks )  .
As the available area for these holes was filled up I decided on a worm base digester .... got a big swing top kitchen bin cut the botton out with an angle grinder and set it in a get big hole that had 1.2 tonnes of 15 mm clean stone in it .

Result ground water from up the hill runs down and fills the hole as well as  drowns all the worms . extra result .. we stopped  using it , it turned green and grew a 15 mm thick crop of maggots ..

Third method was to use a big local authority supplied Dalek composter bin above ground on a 150 mm bed of sharp sand ,
It has taken Merle our gangly yoof sheepdog / golden retriever cross 10 months to fill it to a depth of 250 mm ..that a heap of stuff I can tell you.

When the contractors arrived to start the landscaping I got them to roll the Dalek off the mound of supposedly composting poop , shoved the long handled spade in it and couldn't find a worm in sight .....  realised dog worming tablets  don't just kill tape and thread worms .

The labourer of the contractor was tasked with removing the sunken swing bin .. On opening it and finding the green slime full of maggots  he vomited his toe nails up ,  then in a daze went and sat down wind to get a second helping and carried on hooping up. ;D ;D

So now instead of any sort of composting bin I have a dog loo which gets washed through every sunday and recharged with  50 ml of  activtor ( caravan blue loo turd digester liquid .

Here are a few pictures for any one interested in solving their dog muck prob ..it drains away into  a 100 mm preforated land drain so there are no smells and no probs with surface water anymore .

The loo is enclosed in the small engineering brick tower where the green lid is  and is well above ground ..it is also very easy for me to access it & clean up the dog muck as there is no bending for me .
 In front of the tower is a 1.5 x 2.5 b mtr pit filled with 300 mm of 10 mm clean crushed pink granite chips . ( all the brick work is set on a 300 mm concrete foundation )

Merle has been trained by us to go to his loo for a peep or a poo . If it gets dry and smells of urine we simply hose the chippings down for a minute using a sprayer head on the hose pipe and put half a watering can  of two caps of the blue loo digester concentrate and 5 litres of water over it after the hose down ( it smells of cherry wood sawdust )

For the nosey ones ...that raised bed to the right is for our asparagus bed , it should run for over 20 years and will hold over 30 crowns if we are lucky ( 14 seeds sown 12 germinated . They are now 7 inches tall and all are desparate for the land scapers to fill the bed with alternative layers of well rotted horse muck , sharp sand and soil , five full layer sets  in total .
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 10:55:37 pm by Plantoid »

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2011, 12:58:49 pm »
could you do that with a cat toilet's content? Not to mention that my cat regularly uses my veg beds  >:( - it tounds like a great idea to make use of it! Any experienced cat poo composters?  ;D :&>

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2011, 12:51:06 pm »
I just had a little dig in the first bin which has now been composting for nine weeks, disappointed to find all the poo intact.  ???

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2011, 01:12:15 pm »
I have set up two big bins side by side.  Drilled holes in bottom, but little or no worm wee to be seen

First bin is about 2/3 full, so I am hoping something is happening at the bottom, but am not prepared to investigate  :-\

I intend to fill one, then start on the other and when full look to see what has happened in the first.  I suppose if nothing then at least it is all in one place., and I will get the front end bucket on my little tractor and dump it on the big farmyard "muck tump"  :farmer:

How is everyone else progressing.  If the only one that is working properly is the "boughten" one, then perhaps it is worth the money.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2011, 01:20:41 pm »
I am very interested in getting a wormery but... We have been using a 'green cone' this was an expensive purchase and it says you chuck the poo in and it degrades. Ours hasn't and its in a container that will need to be scooped out  :'(  :'(  :'( I have tried adding the energiser but still no good. Would love to hear any news on disposing of dog mess that is successful and environmentally friendly as possible :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS