Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dog poo wormery - quite impressed  (Read 39103 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Dog poo wormery - quite impressed
« on: May 07, 2011, 07:24:22 am »
We got a dog poo wormery a few weeks ago. When it arrived, it was just a plastic bin - no aeration holes, no tap, no means of sperating the worms from the "wee". I put in a load of dog poo and mulch and left them to it. I presumed that they would all die.

In the meantime, we acquired another dog poo wormery with aeration holes, a tap, a raised mesh platform etc etc - a real Hilton hotel of a wormery  ;)

So yesterday I was setting it all up (the new one) and I thought I had better check the old one. I expected to find a pile of rotting dog poo and dead worms - after all I had completely ignored them for over a month.

I was pleasantly surprised to find upon opening the lid - there there was no dog poo, no smell (just that lovely hummusy smell) and a thriving bunch of worms. They'd eaten everything and were going strong!!

IMPRESSED!!!

So today I am going to put the old worms in with the new worms. They are BIG dendrobena worms (not the usual Eisenia fetida worms in our kitchen wormery).

We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
Re: Dog poo wormery - quite impressed
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 07:47:36 am »
didn't know such a thing was available, now you've got me interested.........investigation time!
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 07:57:42 am »
Brilliant. Where did you get it from, Susiequeue?

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 08:06:00 am »
Wow, a good use for otherwise problem disposal issue!! What do you do with all the worms? Interested too :)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 08:18:05 am »
you can either release the worms to improve garden soil if they multiply too fast

or find a local fisherman they will pay well for dendrobena, going rate is about £20 a kilo...

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 08:36:20 am »
I wonder if there is a way to make your own, rather than buying one?

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 08:40:24 am »
Just been googling. This one is £97 http://www.earth-essentials.co.uk/prod_details_dogwormery.htm   Very expensive, so I'm going to make one today out of an old barrel. I've got some worms on the go which were meant to go into my compost bins but I haven't put them in because I'm considering relocating the compost bins. Maybe I should just dedicate one of the compost bins to dog poo? I suppose that like compost you should have one being added to and one 'cooking'?

Sandy

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 08:41:40 am »
I bet it would not be that complex. I had a think about selling to fishermen then tried to think where there was a fishing tackle shop?????

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 11:34:05 am »
Hi Suzieque - was it LITERALLY just a plastic bin, and did you have to bury it in the ground, or could one just use a plastic dust bin of some sort.

This sounds really interesting to me as I keep a Great Dane  ;D  and sometimes two Great Danes  ;D ;D

All the best
Sue

7may12.55pm Modified to say I sometimes have two Great Danes, not that I sometimes tow Great Danes  ;D  I would never do that  ;D even if I could  ;D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 12:56:00 pm by darkbrowneggs »
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 12:04:27 pm »
This is the one we got :

http://www.earth-essentials.co.uk/prod_details_dogwormeryNEWEE.htm

At £147 it's not cheap but we're not doing it to save money - just the environment  ;)..... or at least the landfill!!

Basically it is a standard council wheelie bin with a bit of additional engineering such as some aeration holes in the sides and a "shelf" around the lower part of the inside on which a wire mesh sits (to allow the vericompost to drain).

There's also a porthole towards the bottom so that you can remove the vermicompost from the bottom rather than the top which means you can just keep adding poo at the top and pulling out vermicompost at the bottom without having to disrupt the compost (and the dog poo) by going in at the top.

Lastly there's a small tap so that you can drain off the liquid (worm wee) which can then be used as liquid fertiliser.

Earth essentials are keen to point out that the vermicompost and worm wee from dog poo wormeries should be used on garden plants etc only and not fruit and veg.

It gives me great peace of mind to manage the dog pooin this way so - for me - it's money well spent.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 12:57:31 pm »
Hi again - how far is the wire mesh "shelf" from the bottom of the bin, and what size mesh is the wire

many thanks
Sue

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 12:58:25 pm »
Very interesting, especially the bit about not putting the compost on fruit and veg.

It's a shame it's so expensive, but sounds like a clever product. I'm not sure I'll be able to make something so good, but I'm going to give it a shot!

I had a thought earlier, and that is that in Sainsburys (I think) they have degradable nappy sacks, so in theory you could pick up the dog poo if you were out and about as usual, and fling the lot, bag and all, into the wormery. My next thought is that councils should do this in parks - there's nothing more repulsive than overflowing dog poo bins. One lovely walk near here has the most horrible thing ever - some cretin goes to the trouble of collecting the dog poo in a bag, then hurls it up into the trees. In the winter it's like a dog poo tree. Shudder.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 02:03:28 pm »
the degradable poop bags still take a couple of years to break down in sunlight, putting them in bins doesn't work!!!

i get it in normal compost bins where people collect kitchen waste in degradable bags throw the lot in the bin and wonder why it doesn't rot...

the bags also prevent the worms doing there job i.e. eating poop!!!

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 06:03:34 pm »
You can make a compost bin for dog poo with old tyres which are free!

Put the mesh across the first or second one and build a tower about five high. Put shredded paper inside the tyres before you add them to the tower and it works a treat. Been doing it for years.

Also, because we know what our dogs eat, we add small amounts to the veg patch too......

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 06:17:09 pm »
You can make a compost bin for dog poo with old tyres which are free!

Put the mesh across the first or second one and build a tower about five high. Put shredded paper inside the tyres before you add them to the tower and it works a treat. Been doing it for years.

Also, because we know what our dogs eat, we add small amounts to the veg patch too......

Ian

What size mesh do you use, and what do you put in at first to get the worms feeling happy.  Many thanks  Sue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS