Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly Hen  (Read 5260 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Poorly Hen
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 11:31:50 pm »
I have no idea...our cockerel has a go every now and then (mainly to show the girls that there's food I think) but the drakes won't touch the pellets, they must have some instict.  :&>
Now you've got me worried, Jack eats as much as the girls do, as there's little grass left in their run.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Poorly Hen
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 08:04:19 am »
Have had a quick look into this & from observing ours over the last 2 days I believe that as long as they are free-ranging they'll be ok.

The hens don't seem to be eating much layers - may be a handful or 2 between each flock per day (flocks of 6-8 plus cockeral), though I can't honestly say if the cockerals eat the layers or not.  The feeders are hung in their housing, so they have free access to it, they are let-out at about 6am this time of year, later in the winter.  They also have a couple of handfuls per flock in the yard, to "call" in the evening.

I guess that chucks, allowed to free-range & forage for themselves know instinctively what they need to balance their diets - certainly better than we do ;) ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS