Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly Hen  (Read 5262 times)

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
Poorly Hen
« on: May 03, 2011, 08:17:12 pm »
Found one of our hens looking very sorry for herself this morning, when I opened up the henhouse; not moving, comb down.

I immediately put her into solitary in a box in the kitchen with plenty of food and water.

She's still looking poorly but at least she's still breathing, and none of the others are showing any signs of joining her.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Poorly Hen
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 09:22:21 pm »
Is she eating or drinking anything?
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 09:36:36 pm »
I bet someone suggests worming her ::).

Is she leaking from behind?, suspect egg peritonitis. Liver/kidney damage due to feeding layers pellets.

Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 09:40:00 pm »
I bet someone suggests worming her ::).

Is she leaking from behind?, suspect egg peritonitis. Liver/kidney damage due to feeding layers pellets.

Layers cause organ damage  :o ???
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 10:58:36 pm »
Yes there does appear to be a small amount of leakage. I put it down to runny poo.

They get fed good quality layer pellets as well as having free range access to the garden.

Doesn't appear to have taken any food or water.

I've just had a quick Google on the topic of egg peritonitis and it doesn't sound very good. Would it be better if I put her out of her misery now?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 11:03:40 pm by ambriel »

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 08:39:22 pm »

Well she hung in there till this morning but sadly our dear little Speckles is no more.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 08:52:16 pm »
Oh bless her, it's so sad when they go that way.  You did the best for her.

princesspiggy

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 09:03:26 pm »

[/quote]

[/quote]

really...?... ???

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 09:27:01 pm »

[/quote]

really...?... ???
[/quote]

Was hoping Castle Farm would come back on this one.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 09:44:41 pm »
I'd like an explanation too as mine have always been fed on layers pellets - they are layers after all. ??? ???
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 10:02:38 pm »
Going to do some research on this, as have always given mine layers pellets - organic of course  ;) in feeders in their housing, they don't eat loads as they free-range all over the holding.  I don't I give them grit either (unless they are running in temporary "breeding pens" for a few months).

Never knew giving layers could make them poorly  ???

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 11:01:30 pm »
That's the reason why there is on most manufacturer's packaging a guideline on how much pellets in weight per bird per day. Boys should not eat them at all as the high protein can give them kidney damage. Girls can also get egg bound which is fatal at times. My regime is wheat ad lib and pellets rather less than what it says on the bag and only in the morning...

Ambriel, so sorry you lost your Speckles  :bouquet:

:chook: :&>

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 08:05:32 pm »

Thanks, it's par for the course when you have livestock though. She was a very friendly little hen.

I was concerned about the reference to layer pellets, too.

Our girls (and boy) are fed layer pellets but also have free access to half an acre of crazing (the bits that the pigs haven't reduced to looking like the Somme, that is).

I'd hate to think I'd brought on the condition in her.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 09:27:54 pm »
 ???  ???how are you supposed to stop a cockerel eatin layers pellets then. i cant imagine mine being stopped from doin anything to be honest. but he is a beauty and id hate to lose him throuh him tuckin in to the layers the girls get.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 10:42:27 pm »
I have no idea...our cockerel has a go every now and then (mainly to show the girls that there's food I think) but the drakes won't touch the pellets, they must have some instict.  :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS