Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hypnotized chicken  (Read 1515 times)

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
Hypnotized chicken
« on: May 05, 2011, 09:56:17 pm »
I watched a programme the other day and it said if you draw a line in the dirt infront of the chickens beak the chicken will become hypnotized, i wanted to know if this is true and if anyone had tryed it, and if anyone has why do they do it. I know this is a bit random but my mind was working overtime if this happens and why. Any answers will be much appriciated. :chook:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Hypnotized chicken
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 10:32:20 pm »
I'll confess I have tried this once or twice and never got it to work. However, if you want the proof, just have a search on Youtube!!

I've read that it's some sort of inbuilt response to a predator attack that makes them just stay still and 'play dead' rather than actual hypnosis, but it could actually be quite traumatic for the chooks I suppose (which is why I didn't persevere with hypnotising mine!!).
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 10:44:33 pm »
you probably will fall asleep yourself half-way trying to get a hen to stay still until you've drawn a line in front of her  ::) :&>

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 10:46:52 pm »
Always used to do it as a kid, and it invariably worked.  The trick is to get the chicken relaxed and calm first then be quiet and slow in your movements.

I must say I havent bothered since I was about 12

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 11:29:33 pm »
Pointing dogs hypnotise their prey in a similar fashion - but without drawing a line in the sand - they just eyeball the pheasant and it freezes.  The Goddess Diana reputedly had dogs which did this.

You can also hypnotise birds by swinging them gently to and fro.  We do that with quail so they don't fly off and escape when encouraging young dogs to point (they aren't indigenous so it's illegal to release them )
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS