Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newborn Lamb Died  (Read 14965 times)

Re: Newborn Lamb Died
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 11:16:27 am »
Hi,

Sounds to me like none of the Kick Start, Lamb Care Intensive, Lamb Tonics etc would have worked in this instance. They depend on the lamb being able to (and having time to) absorb the nutrients / Glucose etc through their gut.

You did the right thing and I dont think there was much else you could have done.

Just out of interest, was the first lamb born a long birth? as we have had this before with the second of a pair of twins and have put it down to distress whilst sort of waiting to be born.
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 11:22:11 am »
Thanks, I'll take a look for the Lamb Kick-Start and add it to the first aid kit.

Just to update, the firstborn ewe lamb seems to be doing ok, took a couple of little leaps this morning. Mum is a bit quiet - not eating much this morning (lambed late last night), drank little water last night but drank appx 1/2 bucket this morning, she's mostly staying in the shelter (field shelter with small exterior hurdle pen set up) with the lit lun. Her udders VERY heavy, no heat or hardness but am keeping a very close eye on them both. Will go and pop a bit of ivy in there this afternoon too.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 11:34:30 am »
Just out of interest, was the first lamb born a long birth? as we have had this before with the second of a pair of twins and have put it down to distress whilst sort of waiting to be born.

The 1st lamb arrived appx 9pm, can't say for sure how long that birth was (teeny wee thing though), we'd been keeping a close eye on her all day and finally sat to eat very late when it all began. It did however seem quite a while before the 2nd (a large ram lamb) arrived (normal presentation). Mum didn't try to lay down until the last couple of minutes before delivery, but was restless between births.

Madcow

• Joined Jan 2011
  • France
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 11:51:32 am »
sounds very similar to the last of ewes to lamb, she was restless all day and at tea time another ewe was lambing right next to her pen, she kept thinking they were her babies so took a long time to birth the first lamb, who was very strong and feed almost constantly, the ewe was very attentive, and did not seem to having a second lamb, so I waited for afterbirth. After an hour she gave a few pushes standing up, but without much conviction, when out popped a back leg, felt for the other leg and pulled out a larger ram lamb who didn't move at all I cleaned his mouth and nose and even tried swinging him, but to no avail, I thought I felt a faint heart beat, but my husband said no, perhaps wishful thinkin on my part  :'(
Again lots of what-ifs, and things I should have done, but she is a very experinced ewe and we've never had problems with her before, so thought she was only having 1 lamb, so didn't investigate earlier, guess she was just to wrapped up with the other ewes lambs and then her first 1, it was a sad end to our lambing this year. its not easy but sometimes these things happen, and next time things may work out well and you will feel so pleased to have saved a life :)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 12:40:50 pm »
The product used by the vet is called DOPRAM-V does puppies /lambs /calves etc,from your description chances of survival were low sorry

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 01:30:02 pm »
Sorry to here of the loss of the little one .I don't have any more ideas than what has already been said. just like to comment on giving a few breaths-please don't!! I have a med lab background and the birth tissue and fluids are sometimes the highest carriers of disease that can be transmissible to humans.-all humans not just pregnant women.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 01:52:43 pm »
Oh dear I havnt changed my 'lambing' jeans for a month!!  Must go and change before I get scrot rot or some other disease:)

Baz

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 03:12:44 pm »
I lost one last week. We tried everything we could to get the lamb going properly. We thought we was there and it then promptly died on us.
We still find this very upsetting after all this time. So don't beat yourself up about it as sometimes they were just not born to survive.
It is all a learning curve, and you will enjoy the ones that do make it.
Kaz x
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 05:11:24 pm »
I had a still born triplet to start lambing and last week a lovely little (big) ram lamb  running with mum for 6 hours then went limp and died with a full tummy, the fox has taken 2 lambs from mums in the home paddock just hasn't been a good year for us either. Sometimes with new borns there are problems you just can't see.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 06:14:10 pm »
I had a still born triplet to start lambing and last week a lovely little (big) ram lamb  running with mum for 6 hours then went limp and died with a full tummy, the fox has taken 2 lambs from mums in the home paddock just hasn't been a good year for us either. Sometimes with new borns there are problems you just can't see.

Jeeez, you're having a hell of a time, Rach.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2011, 12:22:49 pm »
I have learnt lessons (just wish I had more hands on practice).

One of them is next year I'm bringing them in to lamb. Part of reason I didn't opt for that this year is I bought them in-lamb and the due dates were very much guesstimated.

- - -

Will post pic under new thread in the next few days.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 09:23:44 am by OhLaLa »

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 01:17:54 pm »
Jeeez, you're having a hell of a time, Rach.
[/quote]

Tell me about it but if I catch the blinking fox he'll know what has hit him as they where both ewe lambs >:(. So out of 8 lambs born I now have 5, which is a close run year this year. One more ewe to lamb who likes things her own way and in her own time she did the same last year.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 03:42:52 pm »
It's true that sometimes the lambs won't "go" no matter what you do, but you can be really quite firm qith them when trying to get the breathing started.
Yes, clear the mucous off the nose. Squeeze the nose quite firmly and move the hand down over the nose and away - rather like trying to get the last bit of toothpaste out of the tube.

If that doesn't do it, pick the lamb up by the back legs and give it a shake and then drop it on the floor - not from a great height. This sometimes gives them the shcok they need to get breathing. Next pick the lamb up, again by the back legs, and swing it around, not just to and fro, but right round in circle - over your head as if your arms are a windmill. Do that a few times and then drop it in the floor again. You could then try rubbing the rib cage to get some movement.

Just keep on doing these three things, and don't give up. You can keep trying for several minutes, before you give up hope.

Cold water in the lamb's ear sometimes works.

I have got a video clip somewhere of Tim getting a lamb going that the vet had to deliver - I could post it up if I knew how.

In essence, don't be too gentle.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

robert waddell

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2011, 08:24:06 pm »
sandy every time i hear of easy start i think of the austrailian version start ya bastard i kid you not goggle it or stevie G or blonde may confirm  :wave:
sorry to go of topic :wave: :wave:

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2011, 09:56:15 am »
Thank you Worzel and VSS, informative and appreciate you taking the time to reply. Have added the info to my notes.

- - - - -

ellisr: Sorry hear you have had a couple of lambs taken. Taking my own post off topic but can I ask how old the lambs were and what fencing the fox had to get through (I'm guessing they were taken overnight?).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS