Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lamb put down  (Read 1817 times)

Llandovery Lass

• Joined Mar 2011
lamb put down
« on: March 30, 2011, 02:58:39 pm »
A sad morning, she went to the vets last week but wrong diagnosis and wrong treatment, took her back monday, different vet and it was jointill, the joints were not hot and I mistook it for sway back and the first vet said vit E deficiency, never heard of that in a lamb before. It was clear she was not going to get up again although she fed well.
On the bright side there are another 11 skipping in the shed. And then there is brownie, hmm looks like sad sheep to me, bit of sufflok in him I guess. He had watery mouth early on and then was tried on a couple of ewes who didn't want him, we recieved him on Sunday and he is starting to suck but has an awfull cough and rattling sounds. OH gave him a shot of antibiotic and hes due more tomorrow, I think he'll come given loads of attention.
We are being extravagent and getting a semi automatic feeder tomorrow, that should reduce the work a bit.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Re: lamb put down
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 03:02:59 pm »
Awwwww that's a shame....but as you say, another 11 bouncing ones this there.    I've just bought one of those feeder buckets with the teats attached and its made a HUGE different to my workload.   3 goat kids drink a lot and when you only have 2 hands it becomes even more difficult!!!  So highly recommended.  :)
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: lamb put down
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 06:44:20 pm »
sad to hear about the one you lost, but at least you tried to help her.  You have to think about the ones you do have and take pleasure from them :sheep:.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS