Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Easy Care Sheep  (Read 34699 times)

Tullywood Farm

Re: Easy Care Sheep
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2009, 10:37:32 am »
Muddyjames  (love the name)

Why don't you get two little pygmy goats instead.

Another alternative is Geese - they eat grass, don't bother the plants, dont need fencing in and Grey Lag Geese are lovely.  You could get a flock of six - how big is the lawn?

One animal on its own just aint gonna work - they all need companions

Good luck
Julie
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 10:39:59 am by Tullywood Farm »

muddyjames

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2009, 04:23:06 pm »
I have thought about goats and geese.

Goats: I only have memories of them head butting me onto the floor as a child.
Geese: They REALLY dont like me! I had 2 try and attack me when I was a postie. I never ran so fast in my life over gates too! lol

Muddyjames  (love the name)

Cheers.  ;D

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2009, 04:29:31 pm »
I have 13 goats of various breeds and I can honestly say that none of them have ever head butted me, they are far too sooky for that carry on. They do do this to eachother however as they play and see who is the boss.

muddyjames

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2009, 04:35:25 pm »
really. thats interesting.

How much square footage would 2 goats need? What is the smallest variety of goat? is it a pygmy?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2009, 04:41:05 pm »
Pygmy's are the ideal size and pet. However, goats must be kept in pairs and the Pygmy Goat is not a lawn mower. Yes thet do eat grass but they graze and need food supplement so are possibly not the answer to your problem. Geese on the other hand do eat grass and as I said earlier they make great pets too. Can be noisy if you have neighbours, as can female goats when they are in season.

muddyjames

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2009, 04:45:50 pm »
what kind of food supplements would they need and cost and how big does a shelter need to be for them ect? If they graze that could be good if my lawn isnt big enough for sheep etc. I would like to say geese are a good idea but after my experiance with them am I very nervous around geese and ducks etc close to me. Sounds silly I know!

Sorry to the person who originaly started this thread. I seem to have hijacked it. sorry!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2009, 04:56:23 pm »
A smallish shed would be suffice for 2 Pygmy goats. They need straw for their bed and must have access to quality hay and fresh water 24/7. They are fed twice a day, a small amount of Pygmy goat mix but they also like certain fruits and vegetables. Remember all goats like to climb and are experts at escaping. If you have trees they love to eat the bark and leaves and will also sample any plants or vegetables you have growing in your garden. As they love to climb I have benches in their shed which they love to lie on and remember that every 6 weeks you will have to trim their feet. This however is easy once you have been shown. I have 7 Pygmy's and they are the cutest and loving wee monsters you could hope for. Always bare in mind that they do climb and can escape from the smallest of places.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS