Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Easy Care Sheep  (Read 34697 times)

muddyjames

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Easy Care Sheep
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2009, 07:26:16 am »
Hi.

I went to a small zoo type place recently and saw these Ushant sheep. I never realised you could get sheep so small.

Any ideas on how much area they need to graze, can they live on thier own, no. of years they live etc.

I am wondering if I could have 1 for mowing the grass at my house as I like eco friendly alternatives where possible, and I dont enjoy mowing the lawn much!

Also, how much do they cost to buy and is it easy to buy them? Wool that falls out sounds brilliant too. Would they eat all my plants?

Cheers James

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2009, 01:28:56 pm »
I think the spelling is Ouessant - there's a few folk on here have them if you look back sheep posts.

MurmuringWheel

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2009, 02:18:58 pm »
Muddyjames, where are you located?

I know a couple of people with Ouessants for sale who would be happy to discuss things with you. Will PM you details if you are interested.
www.murmuringwheel.co.uk Handspinning, knitting, crocheting services, spinning tuition and demonstrations at events nationwide.

muddyjames

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2009, 02:32:12 pm »
I am near Banbury as in Ride a crock horse to Banbury Cross!

I am just looking at the moment and doing research. I dont want to buy one and then find out I dont have enough lawn for it to munch through before it re grows! lol

If you have an email address or something that could be handy. Where are the people you know based?

muddyjames

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2009, 02:35:45 pm »
I think the spelling is Ouessant - there's a few folk on here have them if you look back sheep posts.

Sorry. I took the spelling from the board at the zoo I was at. This is the board.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2009, 07:24:04 pm »
The Ouessant is often also known as the Ushant in GB.....dunno why exactly other than Ushant is another name for the Isle d'Ouessant which is situated off the coast of Brittany. I have some, not for sale, but can put you in touch with other breeders and give help and advice.
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

muddyjames

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2009, 08:04:06 pm »
Yes please.

Main thing I am after is if 1 sheep is ok in his / her own and how much grass area it will need. Thats the no1 thing I have on my mind at the moment.

MurmuringWheel

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2009, 09:03:03 pm »
Muddyjames, I have PMed you.

Hope the info is some use.

Diane
www.murmuringwheel.co.uk Handspinning, knitting, crocheting services, spinning tuition and demonstrations at events nationwide.

muddyjames

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2009, 09:04:45 pm »
Replied already. thanks very much.  :)

welshboy

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2009, 09:13:00 pm »
Hi.

I went to a small zoo type place recently and saw these Ushant sheep. I never realised you could get sheep so small.

Wool that falls out sounds brilliant too.

Cheers James
Does their wool fall out like soay,wiltshire horn,easycare ?

muddyjames

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2009, 09:14:38 pm »
easycare and Ouessant are the same breed or have I got mistaken?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2009, 09:19:23 pm »
Any idea where I could buy 2 in the Fife area, just required as pets?

MurmuringWheel

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2009, 09:20:09 pm »
Mistaken I'm afraid.

Ouessants still need shearing. Finding a shearer who can tackle them can be a tough job too, my brother has done quite a few lately.

muddyjames

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2009, 09:25:37 pm »
ah. Where do I find info on easy care sheep then? Are they the same size as Ouessants?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2009, 10:07:41 pm »
Yes please.

Main thing I am after is if 1 sheep is ok in his / her own and how much grass area it will need. Thats the no1 thing I have on my mind at the moment.

nope you need at least two. the more the better they are flock animal and get nervous alone.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS