Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dead sow  (Read 20152 times)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Dead sow
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2011, 08:11:01 pm »
every dead sheep. goodgrief they would never stop. we had one drown itself last week so we should have left it to the birds for a week or so. sorry could not do that.

robert waddell

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2011, 08:40:31 pm »
o well Annie since you have asked for my input here goes  :wave: :wave:
1. Was this Scotland only?
it was explained that since we are part of the EU there are rules in place that are universally adhered to and enforced. EU wide notifiable disease being one part of this(of the top of my head without reference to goggle ,animal health the old record of movement book or others foot and mouth bluetounge swine fever anthrax and fowl pest)
"All fallen stock"?
this is construed by my interpretation as if a perfectly normal and healthy animal, just up and die's, this should cause concern. your first port of call is your vet, if they are concerned, they will inform animal health who will then put the wheels in motion.  now if an animal falls off a cliff, falls in a receptacle for water or gets gubbed by the postman the cause is blatantly obvious and needs no PM or alarm
now your number three has been answered but telling or informing the police WASTE OF TIME they cant deal with crime, imagine there reaction with a dead animal
now is this not on parrel with the thread on the dead sow  on that subject i was criticised

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2011, 08:45:21 pm »
or gets gubbed by the postman

I have no idea what that is, but I'd be proper annoyed if the postie gubbed any of my livestock.  Dirtyboy.    ;D ;D

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2011, 09:25:51 pm »
Doganjo

Apologies for the typo ! However now that you have explained the derivation I should hopefully not get it wrong again.  Am worried that the dog comes first then the lady and the bloke a poor third, but probably like our household it is very true  :)

For England there are 8 notifiable diseases relevant for pigs (not sure if the talk you went to was just pigs or all animals)

Under the 1981 health act

African Swine Fever
Aujeszky's disease
Anthrax
Classical Swine Fever
Swine Vesicular Disease
Teschen Disease
Vesicular Stomatitis

and Brucellosis under the Specified Diseases Orders 1992 and 1996

Of these, the only potential for sudden death would be Anthrax, and the last case of this was in 2006 in 2 cows in Wales.  It does occur in pigs, but is not common.  Typically pigs go off food for 24 hours before, and frequently have hot swellings in the throat.

From a little look at the 2006 Scotland Animal Health Bill which references the 1981 UK wide act, I would expect Scotalnd to have much the same rules.

As Lillian says any sudden unexplained death without any other factors should cause you concern and you should  consult your vet, and it is them who would typically inform AH if they dignosed or suspetcted a notifiable disease.

I would doubt a statement from an AH rep that either all fallen stock or those suffering sudden death HAVE to be reported without some supporting regulations or law.  

Again as Lillian says informing a police constable would be pointless and confusing to them, but AH was not around when the 1981 Act was written. As the Act is still on the statute books, and this is what it says, you would be compliant by telling the local PC !

« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:32:29 pm by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2011, 10:18:36 pm »
Apologies for the typo ! However now that you have explained the derivation I should hopefully not get it wrong again.  Am worried that the dog comes first then the lady and the bloke a poor third, but probably like our household it is very true 
;D ;D ;D
Sounded and types better than jodogan, or joandog, dogjoan, or anjodog ;)  and the bloke bit isn't on this earth to complain now anyway  ;) ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS