Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dead sow  (Read 20132 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Dead sow
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 10:01:42 pm »
I can see your reasoning LW but there are ways of saying things and lots of 'smileys' that can assist you to replace the body language we can see when we are talking face to face.  That is what they are there for, DO use them  ;D :-*
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 10:52:19 pm »
 dogandjo, i write replys on this forum with words not wee smileys.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 10:55:07 pm »
L.W

I don't post that often anymore but, NO ONE KNOWS EVERYTHING, having read many of your posts on many of the pig threads it feels as though you like to lecture NOT pass on friendly advice[which is what pretty much everyone else seems to do on this forum] I may just be misreading the itended tone of your posts but i feel the need to say this. No matter how long anyone keeps livestock they will never know everything there is to know, yes they will have a wealth of knowledge but not it all. Every one has to learn and eveyone makes mistakes anyone who says they have never made one is either lying or has never tried to do anything. People generally accept advice better when it doesn't rub them up the wrong way [for want of a better way of putting it.] This is NOT meant to offend but it just feels reading your posts that the threads can become more intense and often defensive which i feel does nothing to increase learning or the sharing of knowledge.

You obviously have plenty of experience and info to pass on if it was given in a more relaxed tone it would be accepted more readily be easier read and help many more novice pig keepers.

All the best

robert waddell

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2011, 11:25:46 pm »
gavo,
i do not lecture, surely if someone has a sick animal they are going to check it several times a day and not once in the morning and once at night. I agree we all learn something new everyday for if we don't we are no longer breathing air. I am not easily offended, sometimes people do not like reading the truth and if that offends them, then why does it offend them?

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 12:08:53 am »
It is not the truth that offends but but how it is delivered that offends.Don't forget people can feel worried or even guilty about their action /inaction toward their animals when they post on here, constructive advice is what they need in response not being made to feel any worse than they have made themselves feel already.I do agree i would have checked the animal more frequently, but we don't know why it wasn't checked more often there could be a valid reason, or perhaps someone else was checking during the day for him and didn't feel the need to contact him.

princesspiggy

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2011, 07:42:37 am »
personally i feel LW calls an ace an ace. its easy to get complacent with animals but we still have a duty of care and responsibility. everyone makes mistakes and this forum does offer advice, clarifys issues and also teaches others so they dont need to learn the hard way.
i think LW's advice is mainly spot on on and if it makes for uncomfortable reading, it may mean we need to raise our own standards, which can only result in better pig welfare. i think farmers and smallholders may come into same predictament from different angles and sentiments but we still have to achieve the same results. its a steep learning especially if ur not from a farming background. also buying poor quality pigs or dogs or any animal is encouraging the breeding of these. i think we should aim for quality in breeding, purchases and husbandry, its just we all make mistakes in achieving this.
im sure GS does feel bad that the pig died, if she didnt she shouldnt be keeping them in the first place. what matters is that we all learn from it and feel open to talk about it.
i think LW could be the Simon Cowell of the Pig forum (  ;) lol   :D).
LWs tough to impress but she knows whats she talking about and is happy to give the advice that people are generally asking for. we dont always want or need a polite reply, sometimes we need to hear the truth.
im not an expert in pigs but have learnt so much from this forum.   :love: :love: :love: :love: :pig: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2011, 07:55:44 am »
dogandjo, i write replys on this forum with words not wee smileys.

Lillian, the problem is that your words consistently aren't clear enough to get your message (or thinking) across. I don't understand several parts of your reply to GS.

If you're not going to use smileys (or emoticons as they are properly named - we don't always smile) please at least use punctuation and sentences; it might help to avoid the feelings of patronisation and denigration your replies often seem to ellicit, especially when people are looking for help.

As has been said before (and Gavo said it again here) you've clearly got a lot of experience that many people on here would benefit from, but that can sometimes be lost in the delivery.

robert waddell

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2011, 09:05:47 am »
Thank you princess for your support :) :) :) :) :) :) :).
Dan if only we all had your comand of the English language  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) maybe then i would concider writing books and providing courses, as it is just now we will not be doing either :o :o :o :o :o
If only the rose tinted spectacles scenario were applicable (i had them in the 70s)  but reality kicks in :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
With any animal you have a duty of care, anybody can currently procure any form of livestock and set up what ever enterprise they wish, some will be successful, others will well we have seen the headlines
Dan if there is some points you you are not clear on come back to us and ask for clarification strange as it may seem we wont bite you :wave: :wave: :wave:
Hope nobody is offended at this post
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 09:36:31 am by lillian waddell »

princesspiggy

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2011, 09:56:09 am »
i understood everything in LW's post to GS. i still think we need real answers to the questions here, not just P/C and theoreticals one. the scenarios are real, so are the people and livestock behind the questions. and often advice that is sort after is what cannot be found easily in the text books.
this forum is great, alot more open and genuine than others i have looked at. and advice is usually pretty quick to get, sometimes quicker than your own vet, as i found out when delilah was ill.
GS, im sure u did what you thought was best at the time, hind sight is a wonderful thing, wev made loads of mistakes since we moved to this farm 6 years back (i could still cry now). but im determined not to repeat the same mistakes again. if your not born into farming (i wasnt) u have to scrabble around for the info that others would just know automatically.
Everybody be happy, the sun is shining and its gorgeous out there today, so enjoy ur animals  :love: :love: :wave: :love: :love:

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 10:09:36 am »
It ain't sunny here but it's dry so life ain't bad. Great to have a frank exchange of views, i wasn't trying to "have a go" at anyone, just want to ensure no one is afraid to ask questions because they are worried how they will be treated in the replies, that's all.I reckon we're all here for the same reasons basically, just from slightly different angles which ain't no bad thing.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 11:14:43 am »
Just to get back on topic GS have you considered the possibility that your pig if she was a digger had a stomach full of stones & soil. I have come across two such cases in recent weeks where the symptoms you describe have been that very thing. Even if you had called in the vet it would have been very likely that nothing would have been able to be done for her so don't beat yourself up about it. Pig keeping i agree is a steep learning curve and you learn all the time. One of my best gilts has to be butchered this week as i can't get her in pig, i'm very heartbroken about it all and feel like giving up but i know i'd miss my pigs too much and its just one of those things, i know i can't keep them all but it hurts like buggery to have to make this descision, and that as they say  "thats pig keeping!".
HTH
mandy  :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 12:21:09 pm »
The big question," were has the original poster went"??
If i were to write about all the disasters, deaths and life incidents that has occurred to us and our animals, you will be searching for the blue pills to end the misery :o :o :o     Fortunately we don't go about looking for sympathy, which may explain why we don't serve large platefulls to all and sundry ??  Take for instance, you hear somebody on the radio, you build a mental picture of the person, then you see a photo of that person and you are way of the mark. That i think, is a synopsis of the attitudes by some on here.  Sorry if this offends.

If anybody feels aggrieved by postings on this forum, NOT COMMENTING is in my oppinion worse than restraining yourself. Pigs by there very
nature can be cannibals and to a hungry pig, protein in any form hits the spot, irrespective of it being fowl, cat, rat, dead animals and humans.
It is interesting on another posting that dead piglets are fed to the pigs. Now that to me, is shocking, horrendous and against all rules currently in force :o :o :o :o and more worthy of criticism :wave: :wave:

princesspiggy

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 12:57:12 pm »
Take for instance, you hear somebody on the radio, you build a mental picture of the person, then you see a photo of that person and you are way of the mark.

;D ;D   like when u speak to a guy on the phone and he can sound really nice, then when u see him in real life u think what an ugly bugger!!   ;D ;D

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 01:17:38 pm »
The big question," were has the original poster went"??

I suspect he has gone somewhere where he is treated with respect, and not judged on the basis of a one paragraph summary which was not designed for forensic examination and no doubt excluded lots of stuff, and does not wish to enter into a long justification of his actions.

I presume Lillian/Robert that you intend to continue to be rude to people on this forum (for instance lecturing them that they are not a responsible pig owner, and in another post to stop whingeing), and then wonder why people don't take to you.  I am told that you are both very nice people face to face - I do wonder why you feel the need to be quite so horrible on this site.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 01:50:01 pm »
L.W 

I haven't seen the thread you refer to regardiing dead piglets being fed to pigs, can you tell me where it is please so i can have a look at it. Ta in advance. If i have seen it i certainly don't remember it [the grey matter aint what it used to be]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 01:56:36 pm by gavo »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS