Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dead sow  (Read 20130 times)

princesspiggy

Re: Dead sow
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2011, 01:55:52 pm »
L.W 

I haven't seen the thread you refer to regardiing dead piglets being fed to pigs, can you tell me where it is please so i can have a look at it. Ta in advance.

i was looking for that too  :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2011, 03:17:42 pm »
It's in the pig section, thread started by Leri "Feeding - troughs or rolls on the ground" page 2 I think.
HTH

robert waddell

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2011, 05:45:55 pm »
This is the statement Stevie G had written on page 2 of "feeding troughs or sow rolls on the ground"

I've feed afterbirth, died piglets, stillborns back to gilts as a means of building up gilt immunity, but that holds higher risks(so only practice it when necessary)

robert waddell

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2011, 05:48:15 pm »
infact here is Stevie G's full reply

Chewing the cud has nothing to do with them building up of immunity, but it helps the cow to digest its grass more effectively, so i don't see the connection and they don't spit it out on the ground. I understand the principle of feed back and have done it many times before to gilts, but if there is no disease present in the dung there is no guarantee that it will achieve anything. I've feed afterbirth, died piglets, stillborns back to gilts as a means of building up gilt immunity, but that holds higher risks(so only practice it when necessary), as it can make the situation worse instead of better in some cases, so good judgement(and good advice) is necessary. Its just that feedback is too miss rather than hit.
As to getting a resistance to wormer, just periodically use a dfferent one, then that won't happen. Applies to drugs as well.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2011, 07:34:30 pm »
L.W

Gave my opinion on such poor practice on the relevant thread ,Thanks for the info above.

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2011, 12:48:23 pm »
Blimey!!
Sorry for starting a bit of a todo on here!
LW - I was feeling a bit scared of you and definitly feel a bit put off from asking stupid questions.
At the end of the day I have got 13 pigs here but haven't been keeping pigs long on the scale of things. I am still learning. If you do care about the welfare of all pigs (mine included) then it's better for me to feel happy to ask yes?
That's the way I see it anyway.
Shortly after this posting my sow Ruby wouldn't eat her supper when I went out to feed them. Showed no interest at all. Great I thought! Was after hours again - our vet is miles away - since we changed as our local one killed a lamb (different story altogether!) and in all other ways she was fine. Would get up have a fuss etc - I'm a nurse and have to go on my gut instinct a lot. And my gut instinct was not to call the vet. I went back inside ate myself sorted out my family then took her some milk and eggs - so she had something inside her. I took some nuts too - to keep fatty boar and her sister out the way. What did she do - got straight up and ate the nuts!! (Wouldn't I have felt silly bringing the vet all that way and wouldn't we have paid a fortune?!)
However, a guy I know that keeps pigs found his sow off her food yesterday morning too - by the afternoon she was dead. He has no idea why.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2011, 01:12:34 pm »
keeps pigs found his sow off her food yesterday morning too - by the afternoon she was dead. He has no idea why.
We had a talk from our local Animal welfare vet last night.  All fallen stock/sudden deaths have to be reported to the authorities before moving them.  I didn't know that till last night.  LW and RW were there, they are actually very nice people but passionate and perhaps a little outspoken  ;) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2011, 01:17:29 pm »
I didn't know that either. Is this all stock or just pigs?
Better tell my fiance's mum and dad that too.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2011, 01:28:05 pm »
All stock as far as I remember, maybe not chickens or ducks though.  Rosemary is online just now maybe she'll see this and confirm?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2011, 01:41:14 pm »
I think, and having read the bumpf on the defra website, that poultry is also included as fallen stock and should be disposed of by the knacker man.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2011, 02:18:26 pm »
not if your in a remote island. we are still allowed to burry our fallen stock. not always easy with only a foot of soil before you hit stones.

robert waddell

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2011, 04:46:44 pm »
LERI don't be put of asking  questions  that is how you and others learn as doganjo has said about the sudden deaths not a lot of people (farmers included)are aware of this. there are rules and regulations to ad-hear to to safeguard the animals and have high welfare standards :wave:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2011, 06:43:05 pm »
We had a talk from our local Animal welfare vet last night.  All fallen stock/sudden deaths have to be reported to the authorities before moving them.  I didn't know that till last night.

Diganjo,
Can you clarify that statement.
1. Was this scotland only?
2. "All fallen stock"? - whilst I am not infallible  :), I don't know of any English regulation that requires the direct informing of Animal health of ALL fallen stock - there were some rules for cattle pre 2009, and some for goats that have also I believe ended, but no rules on pigs and a pig dying of a known cause (which would include stillborn and newbprn piglets) would just go under fallen stock, and not require any direct contact with Animal Health to my knowledge. If all UK farmers rang AH each time something dies, they would be unable to cope.
3. Whilst there are several notifiable diseases under the Animal Health Act 1981, the Specified Diseases (Notification and Slaughter) Order 1992 (as amended), and Specified Diseases (Notification) Order 1996, and you are required to notify AH (or a police constable) of any animal affected with one of these diseases. How did the Animal Health Vet classify sudden death, and did he/she say under what law it should be reported and to whom?

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2011, 07:16:23 pm »
;D ;D   like when u speak to a guy on the phone and he can sound really nice, then when u see him in real life u think what an ugly bugger!!   ;D ;D

Oi! I resemble that remark!

:)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2011, 07:54:44 pm »
We had a talk from our local Animal welfare vet last night.  All fallen stock/sudden deaths have to be reported to the authorities before moving them.  I didn't know that till last night.

Diganjo,
Can you clarify that statement.
DOG as in dog, AN as in half of Anne, JO as in half of John = DOGANJO ;D ;D ;D

Sorry no idea how to answer all your responses - Mr Rui Couchinho, one of the Veterinary Officers from Perth Animal Health office gave us a talk about the role of Animal Health, legislation for livestock keepers and current issues in animal health, followed by questions from the floor.  I assume it only relates to Scotland but I am sure he said that ALL sudden deaths have to be reported.  Can LW or RW confirm please?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS