Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Farmers life for me!  (Read 29905 times)

Joe11

• Joined Feb 2011
Re: Farmers life for me!
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2011, 05:01:15 pm »
Very glad they went this week but still quite annoying that the other couple went the week before as think they were pretty good. As soon as he said sausage and mash I just thought what the hell are they thinking haha. On the whole thought the episode was rather pointless, just more cookery type things going on then how to be a salesperson.

And the older guy with his wooden ewe (slaps head) what a waste of time!! Was surprised how much money they took really with his messing about. Plus how he kept turning down the other guys help was pretty annoying, he doesnt always know best so seeing a old stubborn side to him now. Still want the older couple to win though at present he just needs to chill a bit more and dont waste time on silly things.

Looks like next week they are growing/harvesting something so maybe back to more farmy type things

Sandy

« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2011, 05:47:58 pm »
Mind you, messing or mackeling around with bits of wood and bailing twine is often necessary in smallholding or farming ::) I remeber m y father in laws mackled up bits oh too well ::) I think he just needs direction and his wife is so lovely, she should be able to direct him!!!!!! We shall see!

wildandwoolly

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2011, 05:54:30 pm »
I was realy intrested in this one cos we went to that fishing event last summer. I think Jimie just wanted anywhere to film 'cos who in their right mind would try and sell milk things to fishermen - especially when it's pouring with rain! The guy with the sausage and mash had a perfect idea for that days customers - shame he didn't make milk sausages but I didn't like the look of that semi mushy icecream. The old guy with his wooden sheep actually went down a bomb - my friends kids loved learning how to milk and he explained the whole thing really well - so I think he probly took quite a bit of money. I dont think the program really shows whats happening - thats why I've finally logged on rather than just reading evryone elses thoughts. :wave:

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2011, 06:08:32 pm »
I was realy intrested in this one cos we went to that fishing event last summer. I think Jimie just wanted anywhere to film 'cos who in their right mind would try and sell milk things to fishermen - especially when it's pouring with rain! The guy with the sausage and mash had a perfect idea for that days customers - shame he didn't make milk sausages but I didn't like the look of that semi mushy icecream. The old guy with his wooden sheep actually went down a bomb - my friends kids loved learning how to milk and he explained the whole thing really well - so I think he probly took quite a bit of money. I dont think the program really shows whats happening - thats why I've finally logged on rather than just reading evryone elses thoughts. :wave:

Ohhh - insider information - thanks for that!!!!
 ;)

Sandy

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2011, 06:31:03 pm »
See I knew some one would have some info...why did know one think of Hot chocolate, full fat milk and a chunk of nice chocolate melted in it or whisked up, or milky coffee and smoothies????? SImple, mostly milk and easy!!!!

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2011, 06:34:14 pm »
I kept saying to the telly - 'Hot Chocolate', 'Hot Chocolate', 'Hot Chocolate', 'Hot Chocolate',
'Hot Chocolate', 'Hot Chocolate', 'Hot Chocolate'.....

I think I need to get out more...........

::)  :D

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2011, 10:42:45 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D :&>

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2011, 12:54:39 am »
I suppose in some respects they were limited by time. You couldn't make butter or cheese in the time allotted and bangers'n'mash did sell well, but it didn't really fulfill the criteria, plus they were horrible.

The other pair should have gone at making the ice cream by hand right from the start rather than wasting the day trying to hire the machinery - that way it wouldn't have set with crystals in it and been much nicer. Sticking it in the smoothies was an inspired idea though.

Joe11

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2011, 02:26:51 am »
Oh yea bangers and mash is a ideal product to sell just not really what they were asked to do lol. As soon as she said about making the icecream by hand i was thinking, "yea just make sure u stir it", "they are gonna remember to get it bk to stir arent they?", then once she put it in there i was just "omg they're not gonna stir it" lol.

Im just wondering if the couple that wins is already out there with their farm and been farming for a bit. Because if the last episode was filmed last summer surely they got to end of filming a while ago. Or is that an obvious assumption  :D

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2011, 11:21:08 am »
I'm assuming 2011 is their funded year on the farm, as it was obviously filmed last summer :) 

I was wondering whether anyone would go for goat or sheep milk lattes just hiring a coffee machine, as that plus ice cream or smoothies would cover all bases weather and customer wise and maybe something hot and edible to go with..  I guess if they knew it was a fishing contest it would be more trad food than lattes or even quiches, but it wasn't clear if they knew the venue or not and it looked like they were expecting general farmer market types again ???

Hot chocolate would be definitely a winner mind - has anyone used goat or sheep milk for HC or latte to compare it to cow versions?  I haven't tho I take a soya latte occasionally and it's ok if made right ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2011, 12:06:00 pm »
Did anyone watch last night?
Right result as far as i'm concerned as the two couples now in the final are the ones i picked out at the beginning despite my reservations that hairdresser & fireman might win it on entertainment value.
Roll on the final.
mandy  :wave:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2011, 12:32:45 pm »
loved it, right choice!  :&>

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2011, 01:36:22 pm »
they do have enthusiasm, but I wonder if they will be the same when they have been out all day in the freezing cold, or out trying to get their escaped sheep back.

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2011, 02:10:25 pm »
Just catching up on the last eipsode! Why did the old woman spend all morning making Jam when Jimmy specifically said don't make jam? ???

I am going off the old couple as they really do exactly what they want and don't take advice at all.

I would have liked to see them have to get up and feed and water all the animals they collected in the first few episodes, and then get on with the days tasks!  ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2011, 02:23:31 pm »
I think she just homed in on 'products' and made a start.  I couldn't really see why they didn't all pick like mad for a few hours at least instead of relying on inexperienced pickers who were clearly in no rush.  None of them seem to know how to put a rush on.  As for the chap who left, he seemed to spend too much time swanning around and none picking strawberries  ::) And the missus was too concerned with glamming it and whether her nails would survive all this nasty work.
I am expecting the Geordies to win next week, if only because the older couple are really too old to make the very best use of the opportunity - not being ageist, but for Jimmy to invest (which I doubt he is  ;D) he will want a long term return/effect.
Both these remaining couples are also the two I picked out at the beginning as being the most likely to become country folk - although how well this programme has tested that I'm not sure - well, I am - not much  ;D ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS