Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Farmers life for me!  (Read 29903 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Farmers life for me!
« on: March 01, 2011, 08:29:19 pm »
Well after a previous thread about this program I thought I would put it on the planner to watch.

I have just seen them milking out the male turkey sperm for artificial insemination  :o  Never thought about how to do that before  :)
Not sure about the challenge aspect of the program, but I learnt something new so it must be good  ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Farmers life for me!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 08:35:46 pm »
mmm, that bit  was certainly interesting!
  (but the programme does make me shout at the telly a fair bit!!)
Little Blue

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 08:42:01 pm »
still using as a how not to guide

i want the old couple to win!!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 09:04:57 pm »
them or the geordies, I liked him from the first when he was looking for freebies to build his pens....
Little Blue

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 09:07:08 pm »
i liked the look of the guinea fowl, does anyone know what they taste like?

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 09:13:47 pm »
i liked the look of the guinea fowl, does anyone know what they taste like?

Quite nice - a bit more pheasanty than chicken and a bit more chickeny than pheasant.  They are easy and hardy as long as you can get at the eggs, but if you buy in eggs then hatch and dispatch all in one season they are a good "crop"

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Sandy

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 09:16:46 pm »
I love the old couple, (my age) they have a good way with animals and are practical too and they are deserving of the time on the farm as they have less time to live! ;D

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 10:32:56 pm »
the other couple should have gone. they maybe better at the sales side. but its hard to sell what the fox had eaten. plus those hens looked pretty old for meat birds. what profit would they have got from them.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 10:40:22 pm »
I listened carefully to the intro tonight and I wonder if we have got it wrong.  I think they get the farm permanently and have financial back up for a year.  It's not just the farm for a year I don't think.  Can somebody listen to the wording and see if they think I'm right.  Perhaps it's a rented farm for as long as they want it rather than a fully owned one, and it's only 25 acres i think.

Either way, I enjoyed tonight's programme, found it very interesting, not quite so stupidly funny as previous episodes and I learnt quite a lot too.  Presumably they have to inseminate the turkeys every time they lay an egg?  Or does the semen stay viable for a fair length of time?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 11:07:36 pm »
This is a quote from the Telegraph -

In the series, nine couples fight it out for a prize that, for once, genuinely is life-changing. The winning pair will run their own 25-acre Suffolk farm for a year, rent-free, with full financial backing.

This one from the Mirror -
the nine couples are competing for 25 acres of Suffolk farmland and the financial backing to keep them afloat for a year.

Its not clear really . . .

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 11:17:31 pm »
The Mirror version is what I interpreted the intro as.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Joe11

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 01:55:53 am »
Have been watching from the start and find it quite interesting but tonight the other couple should have gone. Maybe they will surprise me but betting they will be gone before long especially if the tasks start involving some actual farming  ::)

Hardfeather

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 02:16:44 am »
I think the wee dangerous looking guy with the stubble and dark eyes and his blonde missus should have got the boot. It's only a matter of time before he batters somebody. ;D Their fencing was crap, and she had no idea how to move among stock.

I missed the first half hour of it tonight...thank feck.  ::) ;D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 02:19:28 am by AengusOg »

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 07:25:20 am »
doganjo

i think you have it right probably a rented farm but the first year is free to let them establish themselves.

with ref to the meat birds again the stock was representative of what they would get not necessarilly the stock thet would actually use.

on a plus we saw the original plots with pigs on a bit more last night as well  ;D ;D

Sandy

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 08:35:28 am »
I think the wee dangerous looking guy with the stubble and dark eyes and his blonde missus should have got the boot.
I agree, I don't think thier hearts in farming, they seem to me that they would soon crack on a real farm!!! (I would)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS