Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worse day since I started smallholding.. :-((  (Read 17156 times)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Worse day since I started smallholding.. :-((
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 09:27:15 am »
Oh Helen how i feel for you, just logged in this morning to read about your plight.
Get some Tramadol from the doc for the pain if you can its marvellous stuff. Been doen same path with my OH (its the pigs or me! >:( routine) hopefully it'll blow over and he'll calm down.wLast year i trapped my sciatic nerve and could barely move for a week and was on crutches for a while, OH had to do pig duties (not amused) this weekend have done it again but not as severely; getting the ironing board out of cupboard of all things has set it off. Haven't had one jot of sympathy, no help in feeding up and scathing comments about the mixture of painkillers i'm taking, i have tried explaining that if he gave me a hand i wouldn't need to take so many painkillers as rest is the best healer. So my dear you have my full sympathies. Keep your chin up girl, luckily its a good time of year for selling piglets so you shouldn't have much trouble.
Thinking of you.
Best Mandy & piggies x  :pig:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2011, 09:40:04 am »
Hugs and best wishes, Helen! I hope it heals soon!!
So good of your dad to help out!  :&>

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 11:04:28 am »
What a nightmare you poor thing.  Thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery.  :wave:

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011, 11:34:17 am »
Sorry to hear you are out of action thoughts are with you, Hope your OH continues to help out! Take care of yourself xx
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 11:49:03 am »
Thanks all feeling more positive having spoken to work as they're happy to have me back in a wheelchair so that's what I'm off to pick up now. Fingers crossed get the ok tomorrow and I'll at least be able to go back to work as dad said he'll take me. Thank god for my TAS friends and my dad eh! Can't tell you how much it means to know you all are there. Thank you :-)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2011, 12:29:41 pm »
I'm so glad things are looking up today a bit.  The wheelchair will be great fun once you get the hang of it, though not much help with the pigs.  Once it's all hurting less things will be easier.   Good old Dad  :)  Great you can get back to work but try to take it a bit easy too.  Thinking of you.  :wave:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2011, 12:42:44 pm »
So sorry - only just read this post.  Let me add my thoughts for speedy recovery and happy outcome to everyone else's :bouquet:

Try to look after yourself if you can
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2011, 01:48:02 pm »
Good luck and keep smiling, it will come out right in the end. :) :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2011, 02:35:30 pm »
On the hubby situation - try getting him up close and personal with the tamest of the piglets - a few scratches under the chin and tummy tickles (for the pig ;)) will maybe start to convince him that they aren't so bad after all  :) Who know's maybe it'll convert him ? ;)
Karen x

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2011, 05:44:51 pm »
its a setback but don't give up, just rest up and come back stronger, its all experience. :)

TheGirlsMum

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2011, 07:32:52 pm »
I always find things are worst at night and then in the morning things work themselves out. I'm sure your OH will be much happier now youv'e sorted out still being able to work, money problems always bring out the worst in people.

Hope your ankle is starting to be less painful.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2011, 07:45:20 pm »
Yes he seems a bit calmer now. Fingers crossed tomorrow goes well and I'm back at work Wednesday. I even managed to get a refund for my flight to India so better day. OH still wants the pigs sold but I'll work on him and see if I can get him to relent.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2011, 07:53:34 pm »
Perhaps it's the numbers of them he has a problem with.  Maybe one or two might be a compromise?  I know quite a few folk who run on two or three weaners at a time
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2011, 08:21:52 pm »
Maybe you're right Annie we have to find a compromise, that's what marriage is about. It'll all seem better in a few weeks if the ground dries up and some of the weaners are sold.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2011, 08:28:11 pm »
Helen, this is the first time you have done this - there are bound to be some problems, and after four hours of sorting fences even my (usually saint of a) husband can be a bit difficult, shall we say.... However usually a good meal (pork roast!) and apple pie sort the issue and we try and chat about how to do it better next time... Even if the smallholding thing is my dream more than his, I cannot do it on my own, so we do have to compromise a lot... (otherwise I would have loads more animals!)

Maybe only running one sow in-pig at a time would reduce the stress a bit, but selling all up now would just mean you will loose colossal amounts of money (arks, fences, energisers etc etc - all the gear that you have just invested in!).

I know I shouldn't say this, but I find painkillers always work best with a few glasses of wine...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS