Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worse day since I started smallholding.. :-((  (Read 17151 times)

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
Re: Worse day since I started smallholding.. :-((
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 09:56:01 pm »
If I was closer, I would come to help. So sorry to hear about your woes. Stick with it, in 5 years, you'll probably have a good laugh about today.

Hope everything turns out and my thoughts are with you  :bouquet:

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 10:16:28 pm »
Sorry about your accident. I have just had my husband shouting at me to rid my goats, as he is fed up of them wrecking sheds, fences etc......this followed a nanny goat on the field shelter roof.  Unfortunately he does not share my dream of smallholding, and the only animal he is interested in is a horse, and then only if it does carriage driviing. 

I have struggled for the past 7 weeks with my discolated finger, and its still not good enough for me to ride.  Your ankle is obviously a lot worse.  I do hope you can get some help, and once that is sorted, things will seem a little better.

Sorry I am not nearer as I would offer to help.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 10:52:05 pm »
oh helen, what a shame & you are so brave to have kept going with a broken ankle.  so many of us would help if we only could but me yhinks fife to leicester is just a wee bit far! hope guestimates are wrong & you are up and about sooner rather than later. enjoy the time to make plans....there's never enough time to sit & make plans :)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 11:02:29 pm »
Thanks guys I am feeling really low so appreciate all the virtual hugs and kind words. I just feel so damn defeated I can't put any weight at all on my left ankle so am virtually Immobile! God knows how I'm going to even get to the loo on my own tomorrow.. I so didn't need this how the heck do I sell 20 piglets when I can't get out the house .. Bugger bugger bugger..
Tomorrow is another day.. I'll keep saying it probably all night as I can't sleep cause of the pain..
Sorry feeling really sorry for myself, I'll bounce back tomorrow no doubt..

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 11:05:50 pm »
heken, can you do yourself a website? maybe youcan sell the piglets via the wonders of the internet?

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 11:24:38 pm »
I've no clue egglady but my lads friend can. I'll see if he can help. Thanks for the idea.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 01:03:18 am »
getting about indoors on one leg is ok if you use a crutch . If you didn't get one from the hospital ? you could use a broom if you aren't too tall for one. I have done that and I am 5'9" . Felt a bit of a div but it got me about . Outside you really need a good pair of  crutches , either  under arm ones or the modern clip round the arm type .
 The first week is the worst , it gets a bit easier after that as you get used to hopping about and using the crutches. Last time I did my ankle I also did both my wrists , not good for getting about . Even worse when you need a pee !!!  :o ::)
 I dread the thought of breaking an ankle now , as I have to walk 6 miles everyday to the land , and then feed the horses in ankle deep mud.
November 09 I ripped the tendon off of the outside of my left knee . It coincided with the haylage being delivered at the top of my track, due to snow,  350 yards from where I feed the horses . That meant in total another 3 miles of walking backwards and forwards across the track to get enough haylage  . 9 miles on a leg that went where ever it wanted to go , and every step in utter agony .
 It took till about May till it was ok ish  again .
So try to keep off your ankle as much as possible , it will heal much faster.
 Hope you feel better  tomorrow , take care ...

cheers

Russ

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 03:30:49 am »

Hi Helencus
Sorry to hear about your plight  :'(
                    --- good that your dad is about to help you ---" blood is thicker than water".
Chin up and be strong.
Thoughts are with you-- Tell us how you are getting on  :love: :bouquet: :pig: :hshoe:
Tilly

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 06:42:44 am »
Hi helen, very sorry to hear of your troubles, hopefully when things calm down hubby will think differently, were in gloucestershire although its a fair treck to u i could help out on weekends if your desperate but not weekdays..............neil

ser3dan

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 06:52:40 am »
Oh Helen  :(
I'm sorry I'm not any nearer or I'd come and help. Hopefully today will have given your husband a bit of distance from the events of yesterday and he'll relent somewhat and help out.
Thinking of you, and if there's anything I can do, just shout!

Dan.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2011, 08:00:18 am »
Hello Helen

SO sorry to hear about your day  :(  my hubby and I always have this arguement (my dream not his...) so I really feel for you.
I am in worcestershire and on a friday there's just scarlett my 4 year old and I here so we could come and help if you need us. I know nothing about pigs but with some guidance we could I am sure help!!

I have a friend who keeps pigs here if you are 100% at any point that you do need to sell, i can always ask her. but hopefully things will have calmed down today. I know tony gives me the rant when he can see I am suffering from all mly animals(except i don't see it as suffering, I see it as being tired from doing something I love!!)

take care
Lisa xx
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2011, 08:10:30 am »
Thank you so much, I really appreciate all the offers of help. If the dads get stuck I may take folks up on it. My OH is helping out he just has a good moan about it. He fed all animals and put horses and chickens out but not happy at all. Im hoping he calms down soon, I think a lot of it is worry about the fact we will probably have very little income for the next few months.. Maybe a day at work away from here will help. Here's hoping.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2011, 08:15:24 am »
  Your OH was just reacting to the moment.  Although a broken ankle is awful, it will recover, the mud will go.  Summer will come (crossed fingers).  Thinking of you.

fruitfarm

• Joined Feb 2011
  • The Lincolnshire Fens
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2011, 08:31:14 am »

So sorry to hear about your accident Helen. On top of everything else you must be in an awful lot of pain too. Take painkillers! Don't try to betoo much of a hero. Sometimes we all need to be a bit wimpy .

Obviously your dad's daily help is going to be your main life saver but if there's any special jobs you need help with we are in South Lincolnshire, not TOO far away so please add us to your list of volunteers.

Try to sleep and look after yourself as much as you can.

silver swan

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Scotland
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2011, 08:57:48 am »
Hi Helen,

Your Guardian angel is obiously on holiday!!!

So sorry to hear all that's happening. Have sent a PM.

Big Hugs and lots of them!

:bouquet:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS