Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worse day since I started smallholding.. :-((  (Read 17150 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Worse day since I started smallholding.. :-((
« on: February 27, 2011, 08:21:34 pm »
Well today was the day we decided to wean the piglets as the girls are losing too much weight and the babies are big and eating plenty of hard feed. It was a real challenge dividing up the pen making sure fence was in place when said fence had to go through calf deep mud along with barbed wire then electric rope etc. Had to go in place. It took 4 hrs to do and when done the electric rope in the girls pen didn't work... So there I am in and out of the pen desperately trying to sort it out with hubby going mad at me as this is not his dream it's mine .. Yah de yah same tired story.. Then it happened.. I slipped in the mud in the gateway and I heard my ankle snap as I landed. I soldiered on and we finished re doing the electric rope and I actually managed to keep walking for about half an hour til we got it sorted but knew it was bad so got hubby to take me to a&e.
So my ankle is broken will not be able to even walk for 6 weeks drive for 8 and can't ride for at least 4 months. I'm self employed so if I can't work then no money coming in.. To cap it all hubby says that's it I'm to sell all of the pigs as he's had enough.. I so didn't need that as well. Really really crap day..

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
Re: Worse day since I started smallholding.. :-((
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 08:24:48 pm »
Oh Helen, I really feel for you!

Do you not have a kindly neighbour/friend/family who could help out for a while?
Maybe hubby will calm down by tomorrow.
Hugs to you.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 08:25:04 pm »
sorry your day has been crap

hope you can find away to keep the pigs etc.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 08:42:00 pm »
Oh, Helen, so sorry you've had such a miserable day.  :bouquet:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 08:44:43 pm »
Any TASers in Leicestershire who could give Helen a hand?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 08:49:38 pm »
im half an hour away and not had much experience with pigs, i like tickleing them mainly :-)

but if a days help mucking out or cleaning up at some point would help let me know its yours for free if i get to coo and goo at some piggies for a bit!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 08:51:19 pm »
There you are Helen - TAS to the rescue - any more TASers able to help?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 08:57:15 pm »
I'm just too far away sadly !
Helen, oh honey  :-* :-* :-*
Thing's will seem better in the morning once everyone's calmed down a wee bit, and in time you'll probably both be able to laugh about today, maybe ?
I don't know what else to say, but you're in my thoughts,
Lots of virtual hugs, kisses and sympathy heading your way from me,
Take care, Karen xxx

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 08:58:53 pm »
Hi Helen,

Trust me i know what you are going through a week before xmas i broke my foot(i know its not quite the same) was in plaster for 6 weeks,luckly now out of plaster but still hobbling at times,my OH wanted to get rid of our animals but i wouldnt give in,my neighbours children came and looked after the animals,hopefully tomorrow fresh day he will be different,dont give up hope is the best advice i can you where theres a will theres a way, i was told will be 6 weeks till you can drive and couple of months before riding,i was back full time with the animals from week 2, driving with the cast on after 3 weeks and the day the cast came off was back in saddle.

Karen

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 09:08:58 pm »
oh Helen, how awful.  Hugs coming your way....
Let your husband calm down, and remind him he married YOU and all that that means (ie a pig - lover!)

I'm going to ask my relatives in-law who are nearer you if they could help out....
Little Blue

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 09:15:39 pm »
wishing you all the very best, i hope things calm down for you in a day or so, i.e OH

would a bottle of whisky, chocs, the full use of the tv remote for a week or two bring him round??

keeping everything crossed for you  :hshoe: :bouquet: :wave:

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 09:21:20 pm »
Thanks all, as ever my TAS friends are there when I need them. What can I say thank you so much for the offers of help but I think my dad is going to come up every day to help out. He's why I wanted this life .. Many years growing up listening to quotes from animal husbandry books and watching the good life.
Gotta say today it ain't so good. Makes me sigh everytime someone says we live the good life, yes it is to a degree but it's darn hard work as we all know and days like today do make you question why bother?
Tomorrow is another day and maybe hubby will relent but it was me or the pigs time .. Mind right now I may just choose the pigs..
Thanks again all your support really helps.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 09:28:42 pm »
Oh Helen!  So sorry to hear all that. It sounds like it's going to be a rough ride for you for a while, but do hang in there. Whatever you do, don't let go of your dreams  :pig: :pig: :pig:.

Yours in sympathy, Mr & Mrs Womble, and Kellogg  :chook:.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Sandy

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 09:29:56 pm »
You must be shattered, after reading all you've been through today I bet you are also at a low point, well it will soon past and good will come of it. You could have done the same even if you din't have pigs so don't let you OH blame them...its the rain thats to blame.....farmers and smallholders end up tough as they must be the most frequent visitors to A&E apart from small children and drunks!!!! ;) Hope you get loads of help and think of things that need doing while resting, bookwork, web site, planning etc!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 09:40:56 pm »
pm'ed you
(twice! duh!)
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS