Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding - Troughs or rolls on the ground?  (Read 35889 times)

Re: Feeding - Troughs or rolls on the ground?
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2011, 08:46:17 am »
Hmmmm

Think I'll be checking labels in future for pork produced in Australia

But if its accepted over there then so be it.

On another note - the wife isn't looking too well this morning and I have just read up the symptoms in our copy of the medievel edition of how to cure everything with leeches and bleeding (dated 1377) - Great, found out how to cure her - she just has to eat one of the kids......hmmm which one should we choose ??  ;D
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2011, 09:03:13 am »
This is the very reason we have our own meat, I know what they are fed and how they are kept.  :pig: :sheep: :&> :chook:

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2011, 10:00:52 am »
how old is this vet. anyway its not in the uk so its up to them and there animal health folks. im surprised at the aussies being that relaxed. after all they would hang us for bringing in a bacon butty.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2011, 10:04:17 am »
Have they ever had f&m in Oz?  If not might be the reason for the relaxed approach and the banning of importing bacon sandwiches  ;D

robert waddell

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2011, 10:37:40 am »
very interesting the different ways or pig rearing AROUND THE WORLD take for instance some Asian country's if you stay in a hottel BE VERY WARY OFORDERING PORK they have there own pigs fed on humane excrement from the toilets along with other fedding
the majority may be baulking at this but that is what pigs do in the wild (any source of protein)

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2011, 11:23:06 am »
Our industry is very strict when it comes to what  you can feed.   Grain is the most important part of a pigs diet and the only part of a pigs diet.  We are allowed to fed meat meal but I have grown pigs now for 2 years or so with out that as part of their diet.   Feed back is only for the gilts and it does not of course consist of after birth as I dont see it when the sows have had their litter. Most of them farrow at night and have cleaned the area up before I get down to th piggery.  I also dont mince piglets I think that is quite disgusting. I dont agree with Stevie on that one at all.   I just bury them in the hole  down the back of the farm.  When it is time to clean out the farrowing area a bucket (tractor bucket)of manure has to go down to the gilt pen for them to nose thorugh..... nothing absolutey wrong with that.   Any grain that is still in the manure will be consumed of course but a pig will do that any way no matter where it lives, especially if they are grown outside.   There is nothing wrong with the meat that we produce here in Oz.    But to do this it is a good idea to consult a vet..... which I have done just recently.

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2011, 02:13:31 pm »
Have they ever had f&m in Oz?  If not might be the reason for the relaxed approach and the banning of importing bacon sandwiches  ;D

You have to bring it in to infect a pig herd from F&M. It can't be done by taking piglets dung and throwing it on to the pen floor and letting Gilts put there snouts through it, unless its already on farm. You obviously have no understanding of its transmission.

Feedback is the same principle as someone coughing over you and giving you the flu, thats simply all it is. Which is why I keep saying it all depends on what it is as if it was Swine flu I would not want that person to cough on me!

As to feeding your kids to the wife, you would have to Murder them first, so its hardly like for like.

And I certainly wouldn't eat off the plate in some countries for fear of what I may catch!!!

Vaccination is my choice of giving immunity to gilts, but the other is an option also.

As to feeding back piglets. It is not an option that I have used in a long time, infact only once, so whats the deal. ::)

Things have moved on S&S from the mediaeval days.

What I was really trying to point out to Blonde was that the concept of feedback is mediaeval and is not something that she or anyone else has just suddenly invented, but has been here since Mediaeval times! Nothing more, nothing less.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 02:58:45 pm by Stevie G »

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2011, 04:19:58 pm »
excellent we all agree minced stillborn piglets is a bad idea. end of aguement. would exposing your gilts to an unknown bug in the piglets poo not be risky until you have had it micobiology tested. and if the piglets have not been sick then whats the point. are the pigs on soil or concrete. if soil they should have been exposed to loads of bugs.

princesspiggy

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2011, 06:40:48 pm »
thanks stevie-g - that actually does make some sort of sense, bit like injecting a live vaccine. i didnt realise it was done. i presume u are on a large scale pig unit?

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2011, 11:06:13 pm »
thanks stevie-g - that actually does make some sort of sense, bit like injecting a live vaccine. i didnt realise it was done. i presume u are on a large scale pig unit?
NO....... he drives a truck up and down the east coast of  Eastern Australia.   but yes he has pig experience in early days.

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2011, 11:08:09 pm »
excellent we all agree minced stillborn piglets is a bad idea. end of aguement. would exposing your gilts to an unknown bug in the piglets poo not be risky until you have had it micobiology tested. and if the piglets have not been sick then whats the point. are the pigs on soil or concrete. if soil they should have been exposed to loads of bugs.
They are on soil and that is quite normal, but one load of manure from the farrowing are is also a good idea to put in the gilt pen.

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2011, 12:26:00 am »

;DFinally someone has an understanding of the whole principle of "feedback". Oh I am as happy :wave:

That is why it is important to establish what the bug is by consultation with a Vet. Once you have established which disease this is you can assess whether feedback can be used or not.

The only reason feedback is mainly used, if ATALL, is to build up the immunity against Ecoli scours(and maybe 1 or 2 other scours) in piglets. So you exposed your gilts to the problem to trigger off their immunity. That is solely what you are doing.
A very cheap form of vaccination as you pay nothing for it, and it exposes the gilts to bugs that are relevant to your farm.
May I add that these gilts are NOT inpig, so it cause them no ill effect. In the same way most vaccinations on are carried out approx. 6 weeks before mating.
There are approx. 22 types of Ecoli scour and a vaccine only covers 6 types(?) so feedback can be more effective.

As to the feeding of stilborns and mummies that is very rarely a good idea and can at times do more harm than good.
This I have never practiced.

As to feeding back pigelts that have died from scour, I have only ever done that once, back in 1994 against Ecoli scour(Abbottstown) to the sows and gilts. It was done only for a short period of time, say a month, and it proved very effective as the problem went. No more sick piglets.
It is always only a short term method to solve a long term problem.
In 1994 there may not have been a vaccine to this problem anyway which is why we did what we did at the time.
Alot has changed since then and there may well now be a vaccine now available.

And as Blonde has mention, when farrowing outdoors sows will eat there own afterbirth and any died piglets as this is what they would do in the wild anyway(to prevent preditors from finding her live piglets) and it causes them no ill effects.
This they have been doing long before the medieval days and it has never encouraged them to commit cannibalis.

And the reason I dragged the subject of feedback up was also that if your pigs are in full heath, then feedback is a wate of time, but her argument is that you may aswell do it anyway.
I suppose that is her choice.

As to what I now do, yes I drive trucks. Spent 3 years over here running an outdoor unit, then an indoor unit, didn't like either locations, so we move from west to east.
A shame for me as I have been pig farming for over 25 years.(still keep my hand in by doing this) ;D
I still keep looking, so lets hope one day I find what I want! :wave:

« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 12:30:25 am by Stevie G »

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2011, 09:42:47 am »
You have to bring it in to infect a pig herd from F&M. It can't be done by taking piglets dung and throwing it on to the pen floor and letting Gilts put there snouts through it, unless its already on farm. You obviously have no understanding of its transmission.

Stevie G I asked if f&m had ever occurred in Oz.

My comment about bacon sandwiches was tongue in cheek to Shetland Paul.  Thanks for the info.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2011, 02:34:54 pm »
steve g.
nothing wrong being a trucker. you make your living the best you can. i am guessing that its the same over there unless you have a very big herd your not going to make a good living. bythe way whats your rules on feeding stuff to the pigs and whats the cost of feed.

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2011, 07:52:22 am »
steve g.
nothing wrong being a trucker. you make your living the best you can. i am guessing that its the same over there unless you have a very big herd your not going to make a good living. bythe way whats your rules on feeding stuff to the pigs and whats the cost of feed.

310 aus dollars for lupins / ton, 280 for barley per ton, 240 per ton, wheat
 No meat or offal to be fed.....just grain
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 07:57:36 am by Blonde »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS