Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs in the market  (Read 3840 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Pigs in the market
« on: February 08, 2011, 08:23:19 pm »
I had reason to be at our local livestock market today. While I was there, a load of pigs - cast sows and boars by the look of it - were delivered. These will be sold tomorrow.

They will, therefore, be kept overnight on concrete floors with no bedding other than a skim (and I mean a skim) of sawdust. Some of the pens had no water dispensers. The market was freezing. I found this quite distressing. I have no difficulty with animals being slaughtered but this just didn't feel right.

robert waddell

Re: Pigs in the market
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 08:29:47 pm »
any chance you will be back tomorow to see prices

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 10:10:04 pm »
I know our local market insist that any animals left overnight are bedded down, and left with water and hay etc.  I would have thought the market had a duty to ensure the animals welfare was met?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 07:17:04 am »
were they heading for slaughter that would explain the no food but there should be water.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 08:32:30 am »
Were they ex-commercial looking Rosemary ? I've seen lots of commercial pigs bedded with, well nothing  :( it may be a case of what they're used to  ???
BUT nothing excuses lack of water  >:(
I agree that it doesn't/wouldn't feel right (I don't think they allow that at Lanark) it's certainly not something I'd be happy doing, but providing the pigs were able to huddle with others they'd be warm enough overnight.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 03:12:26 pm »
Is Lanark the only market that deals with pigs?? No-one else around this area seems to have pig sales!!

I've been there and the animals are kept on the concrete, it means that its easier to clean out the pens if theres no straw or sawdust. we all know that no other animal likes pigs or the smell of pig shi#.

I would've thought that the welfare guy would make sure that there would be water.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 04:00:46 pm by ukag0972 »

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 03:40:57 pm »
LANARK IS THE only market that sells pigs on a regular bassis in Scotland(every time they have poultry)
it may  suppries you how many more pigs there are round about you
the last sale the pigs were on sawdust

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 04:20:17 pm »
I thought at Lanark that the pigs only arrived in the pens on the morning of the sale itself - would it not be unusual for them to be there the night before ?
I always feel bad when I see the wee weaners huddled on the sawdust, but always assumed it was only for the few hours while the sale was taking place  ???

What market is it Rosemary ?

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 03:47:07 am »
Re Prices.

Bottom fell out the market down here, two weeks ago weaners were being sold for £1 each; Great if your buying, bloody terrible if your selling. Will see if prices pick up on Saturday

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 08:08:13 am »
I suppose selling them is still financially easier than feeding them until the market picks up.  So very sad. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS