Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ok,we are getting ready for some pigs,Ark advice please.  (Read 3173 times)

Mel

Ok,we are getting ready for some pigs,Ark advice please.
« on: February 09, 2011, 05:16:23 pm »
Hi,
I am sure I have spoken of this subject before but I have now decided to buy an 8 x 6 galvanised ark,I found this place on the web and wondered if you all think this is a reasonable price for one?www.animalarks.co.uk

I was going to have one without a floor only we have some hardstanding down there anyway and felt that we could just put it on the grass and keep moving it around,surely this would suffice ok?

Any advice really appreciated!

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
Re: Ok,we are getting ready for some pigs,Ark advice please.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 05:54:11 pm »
Hi, no idea about price Ive gone the home made route to pig arks. I have found after making a couple that the pigs prefer the arks with a wooden floor as they tend to be warmer, also i found that i used a lot less straw as it wasn't churned into the ground when the weather was wet. I also found that putting a 4inch step in the entrance to the ark stopped the pigs dragging out the straw and the came and went. My pigs enjoy using their arks as a scratching post so be aware that you pigs could move the ark on their own if its too easy to move round.

Rob
Rob & Manda :)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 05:57:03 pm »
I get my arks from Animal Arks, they have all been really good.

I do have the floors, for all the reasons waterboy says.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 06:17:08 pm »
I'd say go for floors too - definately better for all the reasons mentioned.
But you could construct your own floor from heavy pallets screwed together and covered with some 18mm OSB board (or marine ply if you've got plenty cash) and just attach your arc to it if/when you feel a floor would be needed. That's what I'm doing (well, hubby is ;)) at the moment - I'll have photo's on in a couple of days hopefully !
HTH
Karen x

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 06:31:06 pm »
I forgot to mention,

Ive used a couple of different ideas for floors depending on what ive got hanging around at the time but i did one using a number of old scaffolding boards on a wooden frame and another using 3/4 plywood. I found marine ply very slippery as a base surface for the pigs
Rob & Manda :)

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 08:52:08 pm »
Give Ardingly Arks a call, great quality, good service. 01444 891145 they will email all specifications and prices

Mel

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 11:16:14 pm »
Thanks everyone for you input,I guess I shall have a floor after all,can't wait for one to arrive,shall let you know the outcome soon!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS