Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Here we go again!  (Read 14020 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Re: Here we go again!
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2011, 09:41:26 pm »
Lol they're all good tonight and between us kimmie had a sneaky pint to help her milk too.  ;D   :pig: :pig:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2011, 09:54:39 pm »
glad to hear that ....
have you told your pigs how famous they are?!  all TAS rooting for them   (no pun intended!)
:)
Little Blue

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2011, 10:05:57 pm »
I wouldn't want their fame to go to their head so best not to tell them  ;D
I'll do my best to get photos on at the weekend. Too dark in the morning and nights when I'm here to take any so will be the weekend. All of the piglets are so cute.. Some really nice stocky ones and all running around and squabbling like crazy.. It's great!  ;D

buddy

• Joined Feb 2009
  • I really love my life, especially when its sunny
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2011, 07:00:58 am »
I am so glad things sorted themselves out. Horrible feelings running riot in your head though, increased with tiredness. Hope you are enjoying your new job.
You get a hormonal wave during labour, no matter what breed. It is a good idea to keep some powdered glucose to put back much needed energy into her quickly. You don't get the rollercoaster of emotions then, don't want the piglets too demanding but human certainly can't have them etc. A nice bit of calming music playing helps both parties. A good mix of guinness and a top up of doughnuts go down well, as do some choice bits of fruit. If you know the farrowing due date you can normally keep some extras in for your girlie.
Oxycetalin is a good purchase, not too much and does make life a lot easier when needed. I think its castor oil that also acts as a milk let down if you massage it into teats. I have used it on sheep. Also agree with the mud on her tummy too, treats sore bits and the piglets get that much needed soil. I had one sow who had half sliced off one of her teats whilst heavily shifting during labour. That was so nasty as she had a big litter and they kept going to that teat and the healing process took forever. Bless her she was simply the best mum but it did test her patience.
Enjoying life making the most of whats available. My kids were little yesterday, today they are almost adults, where on earth did that change happen?

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2011, 07:50:22 am »
Thanks Buddy some good tips for the future. Things are all fine now Aggie is as attentive a mom as Kim now and is much more relaxed with me near her piglets. Haven't attempted to pick one up but she's not worried if I stroke them and she's much more herself.
The job is good thanks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS