Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Slapshot injector?  (Read 5359 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Slapshot injector?
« on: January 08, 2011, 03:26:45 pm »
Hi all can you tell me where can I get one of these and how much roughly are they can anyone help? Hubby is rigging a crush up right now but think I'll invest in one of these.
Cheers Helen

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Slapshot injector?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 05:35:24 pm »
Slapshot :

http://www.slapshot-flex-vac.com/default.htm

http://www.farmandcountrysupplies.co.uk/slapshot-vaccinator-needle-not-included.ir?cName=farm-smallholding-medical-healthcare-medicines-needles-drenchers-pour-on-applicators
Cost £18.35
You'll want "Luer-lock" syringes and needles for it.

If you are after a stick injector

http://www.masterject.com/

http://www.fearing.co.uk/masterject/default.aspx

We use slapshot and really love it.  Masterject is rolls-royce (love rolls-royces but can't afford one!) , but those who have bought it praise it to the hilt!

« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 09:57:50 am by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 06:57:26 pm »
I'm really surprised  :o  I thought I'd looked at slap shot's and they cost over £100 (unless the needles are uber expensive ?) I'll maybe have to try it out  ;)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 07:17:02 pm »
I treated myself to a Masterject.  Yes, very expensive.......But worth every penny!  Wouldn't be without mine now.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 11:36:32 pm »
Right now cost isn't worrying me.. Anything that takes the stress out is worth it!!

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 06:15:36 pm »
Masterject ordered as hubby couldn't rig a useable crush in the barn.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 11:09:50 pm »
I've been using a Slap-Shot for the past couple of weeks and I love it. Particularly useful when dealing with a freaked-out sow trying to savage piglets and in need of Stresnil. I'm so happy with it, I would recommend to anyone. Cost around £20 with strong, reusable needles.

I bought a Masterject but returned it before the end of the trial period because I found it difficult to use. Might be okay out in the field, but you can't use it when you have to pen up pigs (e.g. for farrowing) because it's so unwieldy and obtrusive and they see it coming. You might be able to get it into the backside, but try to get it in the neck and they see it straightway because it's as big as a shotgun.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 07:09:51 am »
Thanks liz I'll have to see how we go with it. Mostly they're outside and that was why I was attracted to this one.
Got your book for Xmas as we're very interested in moving to west Wales in a year or so. Really interesting and useful thanks for taking the time to write it I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 06:36:58 pm »
Thanks for buying it! Hope it will be of some use. Good luck with the injecting. Liz
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS