Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Here we go again!  (Read 14019 times)

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Here we go again!
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2011, 12:55:20 am »
Congratulations! This must be one of the most thrilling topics on the forum, we can practically feel the stress ourselves!! And it's incredibly interesting!
Good luck, hope Aggie settles down tomorrow and Kim is doing well, too. And good luck on Monday with the new job.  :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2011, 01:04:50 am »
I'd start with 2, and if you think (after 30 mins or so) it's not made a difference then 1 more should do the trick - you don't want her drunk  ;) Have a hot sugary cup of tea yourself (or a wee tipple) and when was the last time you had anything to eat ? Take extra care of yourself too Helen, not just your pigs !

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2011, 02:59:22 am »
Thank god she's settling! 3 cans of guinness later.. Still doesn't like to hear them squeal but calmer about it now. I can tell their teeth hurt her she goes rigid when they suckle.
Karen I can not express how grateful I am for your help. I have learned so much this weekend.. Not sure the way I'm feeling now that I ever want to do it again mind you

This should be a bit of a cautionary tale to others. No matter how docile your sow is she may indeed change when farrowing and you should be prepared. To my regret I wasn't and if not for Karen things could've gone very differently. There is no substitute for experience the books do not prepare you for everything try to watch a birth or two don't think it's as easy as it sounds.. I now know it darn well isn't!

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2011, 03:04:02 am »
On a lighter note kimmie is doing beautifully a truly natural mommy. Hopefully Aggie will follow suit now. Fingers crossed.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2011, 08:36:48 am »
Managed to get an hours sleep went back to check and she's doing better. Gave the girls a good feed and they seem fine. Sadly I think aggie managed to injure one of the piglets she snapped at it's just lying behid the farrowing rail and I think we will lose it. I tried to get it to put under the lamp but whilst she was okwith me in the pen she warned me away from the babies. Strange cause we have a good relationship but again I know they can get like that. I'm going to back off today and just let everyone settle down.

robert waddell

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2011, 09:57:40 am »
on the alcohol side it should be sweatheart stout even cattle like it when they see you comming with it they will hold there head up waiting to get it poured over there throat
now we are not great fans of books and this aspect is down to the individual concerned
pigs are like hummans some are fantastic mothers others are not and you have one of each
her piglets will learn not to get to close in time
you should be thankfull she did not eat them (this can and does happen)
when she is suckling she is in a trance and the squalling brings her out of it
the first 4 days are the worst
back to the alcohol side stout is recommended for milk production as well
have fun and wellcome to the not so airy fairy side of pigs
the shivering they are chilled that is what they do to keep warm with our hampshires (two heat lamps) this is the first time piglets have not shivered
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 10:03:04 am by lillian waddell »

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2011, 10:07:52 am »
Just seen this  CONGRATULATIONS .   

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2011, 10:52:39 am »
Congratulations, and well done. Just think, if you had not been as dedicated to your pig and know her so well, you may have lost more, or even all the piglets. So I think you deserve a big well done!

Beth

HappyHippy

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2011, 11:02:14 am »
Morning  :wave: I stayed up last night waiting for news, but had to give up at 2.30am (lightweight that I am ;))
I'm so glad she's settled and I'm so glad you're all doing fine  ;D
The girls will find their own way and the piglets will soon get into the swing of things, but it's nerve wracking beyond belief when it's all happening and terrifying when it goes a bit wrong in the middle of the night !
As Lillian has said - it's not all hearts and flowers (especially with maiden gilts, next time they'll know what they're doing and should make it a bit easier for you) I know what you mean about not being sure if you want to go through it / put your girls through it again  ;) But you'll be fine - you've done the hardest bit now  :-*
My wee Kune Kune is a superb mum, and she doesn't mind you lifting piglets (but I think Kunes are one of the few breeds that tolerate this, not so sure about the rest) every pig is different - but all mothers are the same. Fiercely protective of their young :o It's the one thing that was drummed into me as a kid, I could go in with the cows and do pretty much anything with them (aged pre-12) but was NOT to go anywhere near them when they had calves at foot.
Providing there doesn't seem to be anything wrong try to give them a few days without too much intervention and things will work themselves out.
Are you going to give the piglets iron ? That's a whole other operation in itself ::) but you can avoid having to go through it by putting in a lump of earth so they can nibble the soil.
Have a rest and a well deserved pat on the back mrs ! and welcome to the world of breeding pigs  :-*
Enjoy your piglets :love:
Karen x

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2011, 11:36:05 am »
Congratulations  :) :) :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2011, 03:01:30 pm »
Thanks all. It's still a bit stressful she's not aggressive now but she isn't a contented mum at all, she's not laying down to feed much as they are making her sore I think at least she isn't trying to bite them though. Mind I have given her another guinness to keep her calm and as Lillian said it helps with milk flow. Anything else other than plenty of food and water to help with milk? She doesn't look as milky as Kim at all so probably why they're hassling her to be fed. Kim is the model mum rolls over beautifully grunting happily whilst feeding aggie isn't so keen at all.  the difference in the litters is so noticeable kims piglets are all fat fluffy and contented Aggies are fretful.
I really fear this is a 50/50 for this litter sadly, I hope I'm wrong. My father in law is going to come up over the next few days while I'm at work to check she's staying calm if not he can top up her pint!
Seriously though is there an alcohol limit for pigs? If she has a couple of cans a day for the next 3 days would that be an issue?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2011, 03:46:36 pm »
cant help with your alcohol question .... just wanted to say congrats and well done you for being such a committed pig-keeper.
Can you get hold of any goats milk?  to top up their feeds?   or lamblac?  (if Aggie will let you near.)

ours farrowed really close together and as there were only 5 in total (some  of Maud's were mummified) Mildred took over the feeding of all of them in the end.  And they began on solid food really quickly...
But with a whole football games' worth, thats not really an option for your girls is it ;)

thinking of you
:)
Little Blue

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2011, 04:01:51 pm »
Thanks LB Aggie wouldnt let me feed them I'm afraid. If it'd work and if needs be Kim could in theory feed 4 more but don't want to upset the AppleCart there. I guess I have to see how this plays out now..I don't think I can do much more unfortunately.

HappyHippy

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2011, 05:17:40 pm »
Is there any sign of mastitus or inflamation of her teats Helen ? This could be making it doubly painful for her to feed.
Oxytocin usually brings the milk in, it might be possible to give another shot to see if that helps - but check with a vet first cos I'm not 100% sure  ???
I don't think a couple of cans would make much of a difference, but haven't personal experience to draw on, maybe Lillian know's more ? I'd expect that within a couple of days she should settle down to motherhood, providing the feeding issue is sorted.
You can also get stuff to help build up the piglets https://www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk/litter-care-240ml-p-196.html but try to get hold of it asap - your vet might have it ? It's a quick squirt down the throat job.
HTH Thinking of you,
Karen x

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2011, 05:31:57 pm »
If mum wont let you feed them individually have you thought of putting down a shallow dish of milk replacer in a creep area for them. Piglets will very quickly learn to lap it up and they should still feed off mum aswell.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS