Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Here we go again!  (Read 14028 times)

HappyHippy

Re: Here we go again!
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 09:01:42 pm »
If you've got stresnil give her some of that, it'll chill her out a bit, especially if she's being aggresive/snappy. She could be a bit fretful because not all of the afterbirth has come out and being her first time she's a bit overwhelmed by the whole thing.
If she is letting them feed it should work itself out - just keep a wee eye on her for the time being.
Great results for first time farrowing for both girls (and you) and such a shame, but relief at the same time, for the wee runt - at least you know she's not suffering now.
HTH
Karen x

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 09:10:04 pm »
Thanks Karen no strensil but she is stll delivering the afterbirth so I think that's what it is. I'll stay with her tonight to keep an eye on things. She's letting them feed ok just getting stressed when they squeal.
It is a relief re the runt I hated to see her fade away like that with nothing I could do. Very sad. So little kip for me again tonight I guess! Oh well :-))

HappyHippy

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 09:24:10 pm »
Once they've all found their way to teats the squeeling will stop and once they've had a feed and have found their way to the heatlamp, they should (hopefully) sleep. At this point, if she's awake you could try her with a small bite to eat if she's not had much today (treats like apples, fruit etc especially) and make sure she has plenty of water - they drink gallons when they're nursing. This should hopefully settle her down and once she gets used to them she'll be okay. Pigs are a bit like humans I think, they don't always take to motherhood straight away - but as long as she's not biting at them or being aggresive all should be fine.
Hope you manage to get at least a bit of sleep (but it's easy to stay awake when you're watching piglets ;) ;D)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 09:55:07 pm »
She seems a lot calmer now she is shivering like Kim did though but won't panic as she's had oxy. Just needed to sit with her and stroke her and talk to her. Piglets have had a good feed so when aggie is ready to get up I'll pop them in the creep under the lamp and give her something nice. Thanks again Karen can't tell you how much I appreciate your support x :bouquet:

scotelf

• Joined Aug 2010
  • West Lothian
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 10:22:21 pm »
Sounds wonderful, but stressful, well done to you and Aggie. Hope you get a little sleep.
Lynn :)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 10:36:11 pm »
Very very stressful Aggie just had a little snap at one of them, not really badly but doesn't like them round her head when she lies down.. I'm so frightened to leave her alone with them. She normally very placid, I know farrowing can make them temperamental and she's happy to feed just doesn't want them round her head. Is she likely to be herself again tomorrow?

HappyHippy

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 10:43:28 pm »
She should settle by tomorrow I would think. Have you got the heat lamp on ? If it's too high or not warm enough they'll be inclined to stick close to mum for heat. If it's possible to drop the height of the lamp slightly(without it being accessable for mum) it should heat up better and they'll be more likely to go to it. If it's clambering about looking for food that should settle too in a day or so, once they get the pecking order sorted (the most dominant tend to get the upper teats I think and it takes them a wee while to find their 'place') Give her a wee bit of time and reassurance - you know what first time mums are like, pigs are just the same  ;)
Rebecca (7) who should REALLY be in bed, but wants to know everything ::) says mums are "just protective of their babies" lol!

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 10:58:48 pm »
Thanks Karen.. Right now I feel physically sick with stress.. :-( I'll stay with her all night if needs be.
I've lowered the lamp but this lit are voracious just font want to stop feeding. Poor love is knackered and shivering and they won't stayin the creep

HappyHippy

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 11:29:54 pm »
Oh mrs ! I feel for you, it's awful when you're worried about them  :(
If it was me (but I'm totally mad) I'd be in with a blanket for Aggie  ::) Things will settle down in time and will definately seem better once you've had a sleep, you're just getting to the exhausted and panicky stage. As long as she's not distressed or being aggresive then you've really nothing to worry about. But that's easy for me to say, I'm not the one looking at my poor pig and feeling bad for her.
Note to self : Remeber all this when it's Adelaide doing it in a few weeks time ::)
I would've suggested a high sided box to force them to stay in one place (especially if you're going to be there) but if she's getting distressed when they squeel it's probably not a good idea.
Thinking of you xxx

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 11:35:01 pm »
I've had tocome away to go to the loo! So I managed to get them to go to sleep and popped some wood in to stop them getting out. My Oh is going mad at me as I've told him I'm staying with her tonight. It's called commitment and responsibility and I just can't leave her til I'm sure she's settled and isn't going to kill them.

Galician Smallholder

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2011, 11:40:40 pm »
I feel for you really do, over the past week my Sows have given birth and as I am still working things out could not relax at home and needed to be there with them. I have one Sow who has always been a bit jumpy and was doing the same as what yours is, stayed up there most of the night came home for 3 hours sleep and then went back, when i got back she was much more settled, i just kept the light off and watched from a  far but near enough to come to the rescue if needed, it should pass over the next 12 hrs all the best , Karl

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 12:10:24 am »
Please god you're right shes not being at all careful treading on them and now doesn't want to let them feed. I could cry.. Am I interfering too much? I keep letting them get to her when she's lay quietly but shesjust getting up now. I'm starting to think she's rejecting them.

HappyHippy

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 12:28:51 am »
If they're feeding constantly she'll be sore, irritated and tired - I can't blame her for wanting to get away  ;) I don't think she's rejecting them, just trying to get a bit of space maybe ?
If they've all fed, you could try keeping them back from her for a bit - but obviously if they start squeeling and she gets distressed it might not work.
Does her milk supply look as if it's getting low ? Any severe swelling or redness to any of her teats ? It might just be painfull for her and that's why she's moving  ???
Short of going for the stresnil option (which I think you might need to consider if she keeps going like this) I'm running out of ideas :-[ so trying to get hold of OH @ work to see if he has any suggestions (he worked at a commercial piggery many moons ago and delt with lots of farrowings) I'll post as soon as I get hold of him, if he's anything further to suggest.
I wish I could help more Helen, sorry  :-*

HappyHippy

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 12:43:03 am »
Okay - got hold of hubby  ;D
He says stresnil too  :-\ but given the fact it's the middle of the night and Sunday tomorrow that's not really an option - old fashioned tip alert  :o
A couple of cans of stout (maybe beer/lager/cider if that's all you've got) has the same effect as stresnil - just to chillax her a bit  ;)
It could be she's just overwhelmed by them all feeding, or maybe sore teats coupled with very sharp piglet teeth may be the cause (think that's why they tend to clip teeth in commercial set ups)
Oh honey, hope you're bearing up  :-* :-* :-*
I'll be up for a wee while yet, so will check back soon.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 12:50:23 am »
God... So so stressed.. She lay down let some have a feed then one started wandering round her head .. I'm trying to back off so left things but she snapped at it. I've sent my son to the 24 hr garage for some guiness please god that helps her. How many cans she's a big girl?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS